When is import tax charged?

CogitoErgoSum

When do 'they' charge import tax/any other levy when receiving a parcel from oversees?

I have a relative in Europe. Want him to send me some cycling-related stuff. If he sends me a 'present', will I have to pay import tax? Any other levies applicable?

Thanks for the info.

I bought Sram red groupo and paid 10% duty and 14 Vat on top of that!! 1 month ago.... They might catch you good luck!!

Clothing is ridiculously expensive to import. Tax can go up to about 70% in some instances. Declare that the parcel is a gift to a family member and tax should be waived as far as I know.

I bought Sram red groupo and paid 10% duty and 14 Vat on top of that!! 1 month ago.... They might catch you good luck!!

Have the import duty levies changed? There shouldn't be any duty payable on bike parts??? Just VAT at the usual 14%.

Duty is (was) payable on complete bikes though.

Have the import duty levies changed? There shouldn't be any duty payable on bike parts??? Just VAT at the usual 14%.

Duty is (was) payable on complete bikes though.

It's only 15,4% on bike parts - 14% VAT, and then 10% of the VAT as handling fee/duty

As regards to the original post - you can go for the gift option, but there is a maximum value you can claim as a gift. If you're buying the stuff, you might as well get it shipped here - you'll get the sales tax off when buying it, only to be charged VAT on this side (if it's just bike parts). And you won't owe your relative a favour.

Well Well, i see someone wants to bypass our taxes again.... :ph34r:

I think i must go and have a look at all the "presents" that these hubbers are bringing in. :whistling:

Great, thanks everyone. Yeah, the lazy officials (just joking!) have to earn their keep somehow, nè...

I was just thinking out loud - want him to get me some apparel (bibs, shirts, etc). But if its not worth the hassle, I'll just drop it

Thanks again

Great, thanks everyone. Yeah, the lazy officials (just joking!) have to earn their keep somehow, nè...

I was just thinking out loud - want him to get me some apparel (bibs, shirts, etc). But if its not worth the hassle, I'll just drop it

Thanks again

Hey someone has to pay my salary. Might as well be you guys,lol. :whistling:

Thanks again