Merida vs Scott

brian1

Help me choose please,

I have 2 bikes on my shortlist,

Merida Big 9 lite 1000 - R 13495

Scott Scale 960 - R 11699

Merida already has tubeless tyres on so add R 1000 to Scott price.

Scott has remote shock lockout.

Salesman reckons the Merida is better specced with much better wheels???

Merida has Manitou shock, till now all I have heard about is Suntour, Rockshox and Fox (never really in my proce range anyway.)

Manitou is new to me and I heard that it must be serviced in CT even though another thread has a guy in JHB who does it???

I reallly like the look of the Merida personally.

What do you think?

Thanks

Sorry, I would've have commented, but I don't know the comparison between SRAM and Shimano on a MTB....

Oh BTW, Your LBS could throw in the Tubeless conversion for free if you buy the bike from them... Just aske nicely... ;)

Mine did.

Edited by Buzzman

Test ride them and choose. The Scott has a better shock, the Merida better wheels. I think the Merida may be lighter too. But as discussed on the hub before, the Scott was MBR's hardtail of the year in 2013.

"The Scott Scale 960 has a parts package that can be beaten, but the ride quality is superb — and that’s why it came out top in MBR’s Hardtail of the Year competition.

Read more at http://www.mbr.co.uk/news/scott-scale-960-review-999-2013/#dYpFjQUOwP3H5x48.99"

Sorry, I would've have commented, but I don't know the comparison between SRAM and Shimano on a MTB....

:thumbup: cheers.

+1 Merida. Good spec components and looks wayyy better than the Scott.

Manitou is quite experienced in the suspension business although they haven't been popular locally until recently it seems, but I'm sure you'll be able to get it serviced locally.

Get a few more quotes. I was able to get a Scott Scale 940 (2013 model) for R14,900 in November last year.

In that price range I will go for the Momsen AL429.

I would look at Momsen too. They have some great clearance sales now e.g. Momsen SL629 for R12995. Check out their Facebook page.

+1 for Momsen. Besides good value, they are good looking machines. Clearance on the 2013 models like the other guys mentioned. Cant go wrong.