What and when to eat before a race

Paulst12

I think another important factor which a lot of cyclists overlook is the time spent racing. If a race is going to be 3.5-4hrs as opposed to 2.5hrs different fuelling strategies need to be considered. If you know you are going to possibly hit a glycogen depleted state then prepare for it, sometimes pace needs to be controlled and appropriate consumption needs to be well thought out and timed to ensure u finish strong. Unfortunately peleton racing is often determined by the bunch and not the individual. But proper thought into where you can lower your pace and assist in glycogen sparing needs to be taken into account. In an Ironman event it applies even more pace is controlled to empower the run, it's very often key in ensuring a strong finish. Again though some athletes are weak on the run and strong on the bike so they burn up the bike only to fall flat on the run. Proper fuelling and wise pacing is crucial to a good finish.

Edited by MDW

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

gaan jy op n piekniek Fanie :)

LOL, vat gewoonlik net 2 van die goed op die lys, en dis gewoonlik 'n gu en 'n pakkie peanuts

Yes, but as far as I am aware, training with low glycogen/carbohydrate won't increase you bodies ability to oxidize FFA any more than training with high glycogen/carbohydrate.

If you are talking natural carb stores ie: glycogen agreed, however if you are consuming water as opposed to CHO solution you will burn off far more fat of course.

However that is for training not for racing. Racing is a different ball game, but training in this manner can make u more fat efficient. I generally advise people who are wanting to become more fat efficient to stick to water for up to 2hr sessions, to improve fat usage efficiency. However on 3-6hr rides thats a different ball game. So what do u do to maximise it there, keep the first two hours water fuelled then start the feed, your body will have adapted to higher fat usage first and so when the carb feed comes in you will still burn off a fair amount more due to u being the zone. As a matter of interest I have been doing this for many years. I can easily get up drink green tea and go at a low intensity for 5-6hrs on the bike on water alone no issues at all. I wont race like that obviously.

The 32Gi endure actually allows a person to still take advantage of fat store tapping as the blood glucose rise is perfect for that ability. But on a LSD session taking in excessive sugar is just a waste of money and no health benefit.

I agree, fasted low intensity training will also condition the body for efficiency. Elite athletes are much better at glycogen preservation and training correct also increases glycogen stores. I was referring to normal CHO intake (+/-40gr) per hour at race pace. I'm sure slower athletes will not have the same result. Fat burning is the way to go!

Jarred, actually while u are here, interesting question as u work with the guys a fair amount. What do u find the average CHO intake per an hour in a race is with the elites, you mention 40grams, The likes of Asker due to 2:1 F:G ratio have shown as much as up to 90grams. However in my experience and the testing I have done with elites mainly in triathlon and cycling, is that most only tolerate around up to 55grams many around 40-45mark. They can consume more but the digestive system just responds very negatively to the higher amounts.

My runners are under 40grams many around the 30gram mark. Just interested if u have come across similar.

Edited by MDW

Jarred, actually while u are here, interesting question as u work with the guys a fair amount. What do u find the average CHO intake per an hour in a race is with the elites, you mention 40grams, The likes of Asker due to 2:1 F:G ratio have shown as much as up to 90grams. However in my experience and the testing I have done with elites mainly in triathlon and cycling, is that most only tolerate around up to 55grams many around 40-45mark. They can consume more but the digestive system just responds very negatively to the higher amounts.

My runners are under 40grams many around the 30gram mark. Just interested if u have come across similar.

Not Jarred, just someone that likes to read a lot. Apologies optimum is not 40grams but 78grams.

Link here - http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Abstract/2013/02000/Curvilinear_Dose_Response_Relationship_of.17.aspx

If they make them at TV-Takeaways(the v-town boys will know this spot) I will give it a go for sure

TV-Takeaways pie sounds good now. There should be a store in JHB.