illegal riders on our Trails-Avainto

Richard Beswick

Giba is R840 annual versus R40/ ride - applying the same ratio to your R30 daily fee would equate to R630 annual fee.

That is 21 rides in a year,

for you average person they will not ride that many times in one place in a year.

I think it is fair although it could be cheaper to get more people.

Business sense make it that you take an average.

if that is 20 rides in a year per person then it should be about 15% cheaper as you are receiving your money upfront.

Also the cheaper it is the more likely you will have regulars that will bring along their friends drumming up more business.

I reckon R 500 would be spot on or do a half yearly for R 300.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is 21 rides in a year,

for you average person they will not ride that many times in one place in a year.

I think it is fair although it could be cheaper to get more people.

Business sense make it that you take an average.

if that is 20 rides in a year per person then it should be about 15% cheaper as you are receiving your money upfront.

Also the cheaper it is the more likely you will have regulars that will bring along their friends drumming up more business.

I reckon R 500 would be spot on or do a half yearly for R 300.

Makes sense I guess.

I don't know? Maybe R500.00 for a yearly pass.

Personally I think it is a fair price.

Take the daily rate X the amount fo times per month you ride there...then subtract a % to make the pot sweeter for an annual membership....voila!

Might as well just establish a "club" or trail membership...and work with annual membership boards...no board = no ride!!

Edit...sorry did not read all the posts..mine is covered, basically.

Edited by Cassie

with numbers of people - you can easily frop that amount to say R400 per year?

The raise the dail fee to encourage people to rather get an annual member board rather that pay daily fee...

Just a thought - Instead of doing a yearly pass, how about doing a ticket system similar to Northern Farms, where the ticket doesn't expire - it just needs to get clipped every time you ride. I.e one ticket = 20 rides. If a normal day pass is R30, give a 10-15% discount on ticket. So R500 to R540 would be fair. Also this solves the problem of guys not riding the trails regularly enough in a single year.

Another thought, maybe some guys see R500 as a big ticket purchase - so you could also offer 10 ride tickets at say a 10% discount? - So R270.

Edited by rattlesnake

Holla is expensive as there is such a vast no. of kilometres to mark and maintain.

When you see the work they (and Giba) put in, I have absolutely no problem paying the fee.

Those cane farmers have no obligation to cut or allow trails to be cut on THEIR property.

If you ride for even one metre on their land without permission, you are trespassing.

You are not entitled to be there - and this is valid for any land-owner who chooses to allow riding on their property. They can just as easily revoke that permission and close and lock their gates.

Holla has to be one of the best riding clubs in South Africa.

From 14km 120m climbs to 86km 1600m climbs,and the trails are very well marked and it offers every kind of riding you can imagine-ALL IN ONE PLACE!

The social area needs huge improvement though,like a decent coffee shop with some hot chow's.

It's not expensive at all considering a local 50km race cost R150 a pop?

Edited by feetup

Just a thought - Instead of doing a yearly pass, how about doing a ticket system similar to Northern Farms, where the ticket doesn't expire - it just needs to get clipped every time you ride. I.e one ticket = 20 rides. If a normal day pass is R30, give a 10-15% discount on ticket. So R500 to R540 would be fair. Also this solves the problem of guys not riding the trails regularly enough in a single year.

Another thought, maybe some guys see R500 as a big ticket purchase - so you could also offer 10 ride tickets at say a 10% discount? - So R270.

That is the idea we are planning to go with, as the band system is the only real way for us to check on riders have paid to use the trails. So you would need to get your card clipped at reception or at the clubhouse and get a band to ride that day. the 20 ride and 10 ride would be the two options we would look at.

However a month or two back, I'm in MY garden (not the fields) with the kids and a group of 5 of these guys come riding through, they then turn up my driveway (some good jeep track btw) & pass my garden. So I ask innocently, "are you guys aware that this is private land?" the response I get & in front of the kids is "F&*k You" & a few other choice words. and they carry on their way WTF??

I don't think I'll ever understand this, what are they gaining from swearing at you?

That is the idea we are planning to go with, as the band system is the only real way for us to check on riders have paid to use the trails. So you would need to get your card clipped at reception or at the clubhouse and get a band to ride that day. the 20 ride and 10 ride would be the two options we would look at.

I have a couple of buddies that live in KZN and they need to apply for a sugar cane board that must be on the bike in order for them to make use of trails that go through sugar plantations. Wouldn't it be a good idea for you to have a yearly pass board that allows you access to the trails.

This way if you arrive early or if you are using the Avianto trails as a shortcut you can do so legally as a paying customer.

We started off with boards, but we canned the idea as the guys didn't like to have to have them on their bikes all the time or the forget it etc.

i don't think there is a perfect solution. perhaps we can offer the board to people who want the option. and use the card system for the rest.

I have a couple of buddies that live in KZN and they need to apply for a sugar cane board that must be on the bike in order for them to make use of trails that go through sugar plantations. Wouldn't it be a good idea for you to have a yearly pass board that allows you access to the trails.

This way if you arrive early or if you are using the Avianto trails as a shortcut you can do so legally as a paying customer.

This was the idea we had for the Magaliesburg trails. You join as a yearly member, receive a board with details/membership number that should be displayed when you are on the routes. I also thought it was the best way to control access through private property?

We started off with boards, but we canned the idea as the guys didn't like to have to have them on their bikes all the time or the forget it etc.

i don't think there is a perfect solution. perhaps we can offer the board to people who want the option. and use the card system for the rest.

And this was the other problem someone mentioned!

A numbered/barcoded sticker to go on your seat stem which can be scanned by the trail staff at any given time.

These are inexpensive and can easily be replaced.It also carries no mass.

Thats the wonderful thing about customers. Impossible to please them all.

A numbered/barcoded sticker to go on your seat stem which can be scanned by the trail staff at any given time.

These are inexpensive and can easily be replaced.It also carries no mass.

Now this is a smart idea :clap:

This is not a unique problem. No need to reinvent the wheel. I think the Thaba trails work quite nicely. Maybe just copy that format and pricing for that matter. Although Thaba trails are priceless.