Looking for Obs intel (Cape Town)

Hackster

So after years of living in Claremont it looks like I'm moving to Obs - the things we do for love.

Of course, the first thing that goes through my mind is routes to cycle. From that neck of the woods what's the best way up onto Table Mountain trails?

Tar to Rhodes Mem, or up through University Estate and across De Waal Drive?

And given that I do a fair amount of road riding - the things we do for our mates - is it best to access/exit Obs via Liesbeek Park road?

Any spots to avoid from a security perspective?

Any tricks / traps / local secrets?

And is there an LBS?

I stay in Obs but don't do much cycling from home so can't advise you on that bit.

As far as an LBS, you have quite a few choices, I regard Avron from Cycle Traders as a great guy and resource if you need anything bike related.

Bikelane in Victoria road, Woodstock.

( near Salt River road)

BMC in Aubrey road, Salt river.

( off Durham road)

Cycle Traders in Albert road, Woodstock.

( near the Biscuit Mill)

The Gearchange in Davison road, Woodstock.

( next to Woodstock railway station)

Woodstock Cycles in Victoria road, Woodstock.

( close to Goodhope centre)

As far as mechanical work goes I have only used Bikelane and BMC.

Edited by Cippo

I'm in university estate and access via de waal easiest , I have seen many mtb'ers snaking though lower residential areas from obs quick cross over main rd to queens park area working their way up to footbridge over n2 till they reach the devils peak entrance to TM..

Road seems to be a bit trickier I'm still Tryingto figure that out as well, areas to stay away from lower main rd around Gympie st and Richie street, the traffic in the mornings and afternoons are an absolute nightmare with the busses and taxis.

From Obs, hit main road,

ride down to mowbray, then up to the old Windmill.

Go over the bridge over the m3 into UCT,

Ride up into UCT and through the other side to Rhodes mem.

Ride up Rhodes mem to the start of the jeep track and from there you can make your way around to woodstock and up to blockhouse and over to TBL mountain etc.

Back along a similar route, or along main road from Woodstock. Nice ride that.

I'm in university estate and access via de waal easiest , I have seen many mtb'ers snaking though lower residential areas from obs quick cross over main rd to queens park area working their way up to footbridge over n2 till they reach the devils peak entrance to TM..

Road seems to be a bit trickier I'm still Tryingto figure that out as well, areas to stay away from lower main rd around Gympie st and Richie street, the traffic in the mornings and afternoons are an absolute nightmare with the busses and taxis.

Personally I use Albert rd (lower main rd ) to reach CBD, although I head up Church str to the N1. I would avoid the main rd into town as you have way too much traffic to contend with. The trick is to stay out of Gimpie street. I have never heard of amyone been jacked on Albert rd. Its the busiest route with cyclists on a Sat, Sun morning.

Depending on exactly where in Obs, you can take several routes that avoid the traffic.

From Lower Obs

Go along the Liesbeeck Park way cycle path to where it ends, then up Alma Road, then along Lower Nursery Road until it ends, cross the railway line through the subway, then up Burg Road through UCT Lower Campus. Cross the M3 through the underpass linking Lower and Upper Campus. Then along the M3 cycle path till you get to the Rhodes Memorial entrance gate, from there you're onto the single track and up the mountain. Complicated but simple.

From Upper Obs

You'll have to do Main Road just to cross the N2. Then turn up Osborne Road and along Avenue Road to Rhodes Avenue and over the footbridge over the M3. From there you can go up the foot path to Rhodes Mem (although it is supposed to be "no cycling") or you can again go through Upper Campus to the Rhodes Mem gate and from there up the mountain. Complicated but simple.

Hope it helps.

Not a bike shop, but your closest help for repairs and service is BMC in Aubrey street, Salt River. 021 448 4692. Good guys that are highly qualified to repair complicated bikes and that is all they do for a living. Highly recommended.