I've Scott a Problem

GraemeS

make sure your LBS are trying to source a temp replacement from probike.

Im 105kg, so its clearly happening to all riders of all weights.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some advise from someone who has had the following similar problem would be much appreciated.

Last weekend I manged to break the swing-arm on my Scott Spark 940 just behind the lower pivot on the drive side. I know the bike is still under warranty so I took it to the shop where I purchased it.

The shop was very helpful and will manage the whole claims process. This involves submitting the claim to Scott international, following up with them in terms of approval, getting the approval, and then getting the replacement part to be shipped to them from oversees as apparently this sort of stock is not kept in SA.

The catch is that this can take up to 8 weeks. I don't have a second bike and have a multi-stage race coming up in May. I was hoping to get decent base training in over this period and can't image not being able to get on my bike.

Is there anything I can do to expedite the Scott process?

haahaa sorry to 'haahaa' but mine took just over 2 months to be replaced !! and that's why I don't ride a Scott anymore.......

on the bright side , a friend of mine was bitching because his Giant took 3 days to replace.... sheesh... some people!

Same thing happened to my Scott Expert - same rear triangle as the spark. Took about 2 months to get it fixed! Scott were not in a hurry...

Never ever get caught with one bike only. That is just pushing your luck too much. Learn from this and quickly buy another bike. Don't take chances. No reason to stop an 2 bikes either, you never know...... ;)

What's the excuse for them taking so long? I had 2 broken frames (from a different brand) and both were replaced within a couple of weeks (parts/frame flown in from overseas).

Edited by Mojoman

This time of the year is really bad. There could be delays at customs, there could be further transit delays into Switzerland etc so it may take about a week just to get the frame there. Since they service the entire planet, it may take another 2/3 weeks just to get to your frame and a further week to do the swap and send back perhaps.

That said, 1 month should be more than enough time, 2months is really bad. Maybe the bike shop wasnt prompt enough.

Some advise from someone who has had the following similar problem would be much appreciated.

Last weekend I manged to break the swing-arm on my Scott Spark 940 just behind the lower pivot on the drive side. I know the bike is still under warranty so I took it to the shop where I purchased it.

The shop was very helpful and will manage the whole claims process. This involves submitting the claim to Scott international, following up with them in terms of approval, getting the approval, and then getting the replacement part to be shipped to them from oversees as apparently this sort of stock is not kept in SA.

The catch is that this can take up to 8 weeks. I don't have a second bike and have a multi-stage race coming up in May. I was hoping to get decent base training in over this period and can't image not being able to get on my bike.

Is there anything I can do to expedite the Scott process?

The way I see it: You purchased a bike. The fame failed. Now you have to wait 8 weeks for a replacement. You are a much better person than me.

I will throw an epic tantrum there and then.

I will not leave the shop until I have a loan bike, easy as that.

The feelings that I hurt in the process are a casualty of war.,

Why should you, the customer be inconvenienced by a fault that is not you fault.

I am a Scott fan. I owned an RC Hardtail as well as an RC Dual. Fantastic Bikes , had no problems. So I cant talk about their replacement policy.

I did however also own a Cannondale that cracked on the rear chainstay.

I had a new bike within 48 hours.

Now that impressed me no end.

The way I see it: You purchased a bike. The fame failed. Now you have to wait 8 weeks for a replacement. You are a much better person than me.

Why should you, the customer be inconvenienced by a fault that is not you fault.

Neither is it the bike shops / person in the shops fault.

Peace on earth :thumbup: and all...

To the OP, maybe 2 months is the longest it will take and they rather quoting that so that you will be happy when it takes half the time?

Hope you find a bike to train on in the mean time, even if its not the same brand

To the OP, maybe 2 months is the longest it will take and they rather quoting that so that you will be happy when it takes half the time?

Hope you find a bike to train on in the mean time, even if its not the same brand

Did they not make money out of the sale of said bike....if yes they are the first line and if its a good lbs, the buck should stop with them...since the lbs will say its the agent's responsibility, the agent will blame the brand....

With vetseun here....

Now I'm worried I got 2nd hand . Scott spark 2013 I don't think I will have a warranty on the frame ? If something goes wrong

Now I'm worried I got 2nd hand . Scott spark 2013 I don't think I will have a warranty on the frame ? If something goes wrong

Insurance?

Same thing happened to a friend of mine. They told him 8 weeks, ended up taking 13.

The shop acts as an agent of the wholesaler IMHO. I am not permitted to buy from the wholesaler directly, thus the shop is who I speak to. Edited by Vetseun

Just play your cards right. I don't think second owner is covered.

Did they not make money out of the sale of said bike....if yes they are the first line and if its a good lbs, the buck should stop with them...since the lbs will say its the agent's responsibility, the agent will blame the brand....

With vetseun here....

Its the voice of experience talking here.... :P

Throwing tantrums and hurting peoples feelings, especially when you NEED them to HELP YOU out of a predicament is not going to do you any favors in the long term.

Be firm but be nice

easier said than done tho...