Travel to Tour of Flanders

Oltremo

Hi,

Any hubbers going to Tour of Flanders in April?

Any hubbers got advice on travelling on such trips?

Any advice on tour operators. Are they worth the cost, or can the same be done through own planning?

Thanks,

• 9 years later...

Do it if at all possible .  Did it in 2019 and rode the amateur and shorter version on the Saturday . Life changing experience . Saw lots of tour operators we did it on our own but had a friend in the Netherlands who made bookings and did the driving .

• 2 weeks later...

It’s a great weekend. I have been three times (from the UK)

I’d recommend not to use an operator. DIY is much better, especially as a one day event. Book on Airbnb/hotel/guest house. Stay for longer if you can and also experience the midweek races. The country comes to a standstill on the day.

All of Belgium is “bike friendly” - remember that you must use the segregated bike paths next to most roads and not ride on the road.

Do it! This is an awesome event, and inexpensive.

You can easily do it without a tour operator - the organisers will put on buses to get you to the start if you are doing the long route (or to get you home - check website). Also if you stay a week then you can do Paris Roubaix as well.

Few thoughts - 

1. we usually rent a car. you will want to get out and watch the pros racing the next day, and it helps with ferrying bikes around.

2. take your own snacks. 240km is a long way to go on the mostly pure carbs available at the support stations.

3. beware the Belgian beer. that stuff is strong!

4. Hope for good weather.

Happy Christmas. Book now while flights are cheap. :)

29 March - arrive Oudenaarde and register
30 March - RVV sportif (257km). early morning event buses to Antwerp. sportif back to Oudenaarde. EUR100 entry fee.
31 March - RVV proper. The climbs are all close in to Oudenaarde - drive over to one of the big climbs and enjoy the atmosphere.

1-3 April - do more Belgian cobbled climbs. Stay in Oudenaarde until Wednesday. Drive down to Lille.

4 April - the pros will be doing their Roubaix dry run. Go out and ride the last 40km of the Paris-Roubaix course and see who comes past.

5 April - register in Roubaix. spend some time in the old velodrome, visit the famous showers. take photos. get your bearings for the sportif finish tomorrow.

6 April - Paris Roubaix Sportif (170km). early morning bus to Busigny for the start. 30 sectors and 50km of cobbles gets you home. EUR 80 entry fee.
7 April - Paris Roubaix proper. Drive 170km to Compiegne for the pro start. Relocate to sector 29 (the second one they cross) once the pros are underway. Make sure you are back in the velodrome for the finish.

8 April - head home

1 hour ago, 100Tours said:

Happy Christmas. Book now while flights are cheap. :)

29 March - arrive Oudenaarde and register
30 March - RVV sportif (257km). early morning event buses to Antwerp. sportif back to Oudenaarde. EUR100 entry fee.
31 March - RVV proper. The climbs are all close in to Oudenaarde - drive over to one of the big climbs and enjoy the atmosphere.

1-3 April - do more Belgian cobbled climbs. Stay in Oudenaarde until Wednesday. Drive down to Lille.

4 April - the pros will be doing their Roubaix dry run. Go out and ride the last 40km of the Paris-Roubaix course and see who comes past.

5 April - register in Roubaix. spend some time in the old velodrome, visit the famous showers. take photos. get your bearings for the sportif finish tomorrow.

6 April - Paris Roubaix Sportif (170km). early morning bus to Busigny for the start. 30 sectors and 50km of cobbles gets you home. EUR 80 entry fee.
7 April - Paris Roubaix proper. Drive 170km to Compiegne for the pro start. Relocate to sector 29 (the second one they cross) once the pros are underway. Make sure you are back in the velodrome for the finish.

8 April - head home

Thanks for this! My travelling is a bit easier since I am staying in the Netherlands :)