powdercoat vs anodize

zniper

Colour looks good! 

WRT anodizing alloy frames, just be aware that the resultant surface hardening has been linked to accelerated fatigue strength reduction, particularly in machined parts. Did they use a chromatic or sulfuric anodizing?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Colour looks good! 

WRT anodizing alloy frames, just be aware that the resultant surface hardening has been linked to accelerated fatigue strength reduction, particularly in machined parts. Did they use a chromatic or sulfuric anodizing?

uhhhmm... Potato?!

hahaha! but yeah, as far as I'm aware they do a chromate conversion. But I'll check with them.

So after hayleyearth was adamant that I do not use white vinyl for the decals (and even after I had white vinyl already cut and waiting to go on), I decided to cut some lime green ones. Glad I listened cos it turned out rather well...

(at least I think so :ph34r:  :lol: )

attachicon.gifIMG-20151010-WA0009.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG-20151010-WA0007.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG-20151010-WA0017.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG-20151010-WA0022.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG-20151010-WA0011.jpg

That. Is. AWESOME!!! Glad you listened to Hayley and decided against the white, the purple and yellow looks so good together... You can also do night rides without a light now :P

whats a rough guide to how much you should expect to pay for powder-coating?

I'm not sure what conventional powder coaters charge. I just know that Morewood charged me R1200 which included all prep work. New bearing kit, (which for the Makulus is over R700 if bought through BMG), a check on the frame's alignment and welds, and return shipping.

aaaaand done!

...well almost

attachicon.gif20151012_173437.jpg

attachicon.gif20151012_173443.jpg

attachicon.gif20151012_173503.jpg

It's really hard to accurately capture the colour. In some ways the anodised finish is almost pearlescent and changes quite a bit depending on the light. But yeah, looks really awesome in person, and should be good fun to ride.

Now can you picture how "cheap" white would have looked? 

So happy for you that you listened to me :lol: (and imagine for years you fought against it :P)

So when we going for a ride? 35km Spruit today?  :ph34r:

• 7 years later...
On 10/9/2015 at 8:47 AM, patches said:

Resurrecting an old thread... but yeah... had great service from Astro Anodising.

here are the results

post-10758-0-97519000-1444373058_thumb.jpg

Before.

post-10758-0-88990200-1444373066_thumb.jpg

Raw frame ready to for anodising

post-10758-0-76744000-1444373076_thumb.jpg

Frame back from anodising.

post-10758-0-02646600-1444373088_thumb.jpg

Close up on CNC detail

This inspired me to do the same. I stripped my specialized camber fsr frame and dropped it off at Cape Anodising today, although they appear to be very disorganised, I'm hoping for the same result.

I asked for the main frame to be purple, as in your pics, and for the suspension arms and smaller parts to be blue.

I'll post pics once done, but wanted to ask if you removed your bottle cage rivnuts before sending it away?

21 minutes ago, myhero said:

This inspired me to do the same. I stripped my specialized camber fsr frame and dropped it off at Cape Anodising today, although they appear to be very disorganised, I'm hoping for the same result.

I asked for the main frame to be purple, as in your pics, and for the suspension arms and smaller parts to be blue.

I'll post pics once done, but wanted to ask if you removed your bottle cage rivnuts before sending it away?

Aah this thread takes me back. Sold that bike about 6 years ago, not long after I moved to New Zealand.

As for the rivnuts, it never had any. It was a slopestyle/4X bike, so no bottle cage, plus the brake hose and rear derailleur cable ran down the top of the down tube.

Are you worried about corrosion of the rivnuts during the anodising process?

There's a guy in Durban that does bikes and pretty much anything. Done a few bikes for me. The frames come out perfect. The coating is very strong. This is a recent example. If you highlight the parts you don't want powder coated, for example BB threads, headset area, those can be covered.

20220622_132404_resized.jpg

18 hours ago, patches said:

Aah this thread takes me back. Sold that bike about 6 years ago, not long after I moved to New Zealand.

As for the rivnuts, it never had any. It was a slopestyle/4X bike, so no bottle cage, plus the brake hose and rear derailleur cable ran down the top of the down tube.

Are you worried about corrosion of the rivnuts during the anodising process?

Thanks for responsing. I've read a few threads on the forum which indicate that steel rivnuts can mess up the anodising, although I don't really know how but my worry is that the colour of the AL frame will be affected.

Update:

Ended up going to their workshop today, decided to go for the  recommended 'hard anodised black' instead. I think in terms of long term durability it's the better option.

Edited by myhero

On 10/18/2022 at 8:06 AM, myhero said:

Thanks for responsing. I've read a few threads on the forum which indicate that steel rivnuts can mess up the anodising, although I don't really know how but my worry is that the colour of the AL frame will be affected.

Update:

Ended up going to their workshop today, decided to go for the  recommended 'hard anodised black' instead. I think in terms of long term durability it's the better option.

I saw your frame there earlier this week. We do a fair amount of work through them. Anodising as a surface finish can be really amazing. 

Just a note, if they did not inform you, and excuse me if you know this. But the anodising process is unforgiving when it comes to surface quality. It will make any mark and scratch way, way more evident. If you are aiming for a pristine finish on your frame, it is best to have it sanded, finished and polished, up to a level that you want the final result to be when it is anodised. Unlike powder coating, anodising will not hide any imperfections. 

Unfortunately, we have learned this the hard way….