Best sports watch for riders who run?

Rata Del Spruit

I'm primarily a runner who enjoys a bit of cycling so I've been looking at getting a decent running watch instead of lugging my phone around to track my training but I'd really like to be able to record my rides as well.

I'm not sure it warrants a full on multisport watch targeted at triathletes so is there a simpler option that allows one to switch between running and cycling modes?

I guess a budget would be in the region of +- R2k

Watch I would go for is the 310xt garmin. Has run function as well as bike function. Otherwise the forerunner 110. Its mostly a running watch. But as it works on gps it can record anything u do therefore u can do cycling with it as well. Think they go for about 1700

Garmin 910xt. Also has swimming in case you decide to train for triathlons.

Edited by madbradd

Forerunner 210, I have one and very happy, can be swapped between pace and speed. Will need to stretch a bit, I think they are now around R2700.

Garmin

Dont buy polar

Get one with gps function for accuracy..the foodpod doesn't give you such a accurate measurement

Forerunner 210, I have one and very happy, can be swapped between pace and speed. Will need to stretch a bit, I think they are now around R2700.

I agree. I have a Garmin 210 and think is probably your best option. Works well for both running and cycling, very versatile

I've owned a Garmin 310xt, great device, and also use the Edge 800 for MTB.

If I had to use one device the 210 would be it.

I agree. I have a Garmin 210 and think is probably your best option. Works well for both running and cycling, very versatile

I've owned a Garmin 310xt, great device, and also use the Edge 800 for MTB.

If I had to use one device the 210 would be it.

Thanks guys, just looked this up and it seems to be just the kind of thing I was looking for with its ability to display speed in kph as well as running pace.

I've also come across the Tom Tom multisport, which is stretching my budget (prices ranging between R2500 and R2750) but seems to have some nice features, anybody know if the Tom Tom brand is any good?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-RsUAUDfpM

Garmin has been around for a long time and probably in my opinion the best gps units. Tom tom has only just been launched and I have heard mixed reviews.

I have the Polar RCX5.Good for triathlon or run,bike or swim.Must admit it is a bit expensive but can buy accessories as you go along.Started with the bike package then bought the GPS unit and later the foot pod for running.whats nice you can change views by bringing you watch close to your heart rate monitor.The polarpersonaltrainer web site is not bad at all.Upload my GPS data to strava as well.

I have a Bryton watch. Can't remember the model number. Works great and a lot cheaper than Garmin / Polar / Suunto watches. Not sure who stocks them though, I got mine with a Groupon.

I cycle (obviously) and my wife runs, and it's perfect for both of us. U just switch between run / cycle mode and off u go.