36one MTB Challenge?

bobbejaan

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We did it last year.

I enjoyed the race. I do think if you are anal about what water tables offer, you might be slightly disappointed, but when you think about it, you do not really need a whole lot of people at the table forming a guard of honor. My biggest disappointment though was at the end, when you sort of finish, get a juice and off you go.

I do however think the race is about more that water tables and endings, as this is a real challenge for the normal mountain biker. I think doing it solo can be tough as it can get seriously lonely if you cannot stick with other riders.

As for advise, this race is long, long, long, long and will test your mental strength. Still deciding if we are going to do this one this year, or try something else.

GF, 2 mates and myself all doing Solo, i'll ride with GF the whole way tho.

Compared to what it costs for eg a stage race or what Argus costs for a Vaalie, i think it's value for money?

Argus, flights, accommodation, ride time of 3.5 hrs = R6k per person? R60/km

36One, travel, accommodation, ride time of 24 odd hours = R6k for 2 of us? R16.5/km (for 2)

Do the same costing for 70.3 or IM and it's not badly priced?

Probably is pricy if you just look at the rands, however you need a couple of marshalls through the entire 36.1 hours of the event, etc.

From what the GF told me, the camping there is highly rated, don't ask me why she bought a camping and caravan magazine :eek:

It was a consideration, my comparison was like for like, doubt you'll camp for Argus.

Did it last year and again doing this year only difference this year I'm doing it solo. In my opinion well organized and worth it. Anybody in the Pretoria East area who has also entered and keen for some long rides please pm me.

Have it in mind for a future year. This year is TransBaviaans and next year is PBP for me - this one is almost making it onto the wish list for beyond that.

Have it in mind for a future this year. This year is TransBaviaans and next year is PBP for me - this one is almost making it onto the wish list for beyond that.

Fixed ;)

PBP is ~1500km right?

I'm entered to do it in a team of two but my partner has had to pull out.

Anyone keen on a ride ?

Fixed ;)

PBP is ~1500km right?

Yeah - would love to have it on the list this year too, but need to balance family time with bike time

PBP is 1200. Still need to qualify for it though, so gonna be pounding out the road Km for a while yet.