36one MTB Challenge?

bobbejaan

Lights - running 2 lights 1.magicShine 808U and a AAA batt 1000L helmet light but I don't think my magicshine battery is going to last the whole evening even on reduced power.

Any suggestions on good, light long lasting battery packs for magicshine.

I read that extremelights.co.za have a 9hrs light battery combo for R1450 but don't need another light.

Thanks for the advice

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll (4 of us) pretty much also be doing it un-supported (if you mean no follow/support vehicle).

I've been in touch with the Organisers, they've been great with responses, not as prompt as i'd like but i think they busy too? This might help with planning, using their box system ;)

Hi Clint

Correct one box per rider for checkpoint 1 and 3 and one for checkpoint 2

Size of box – my best shot - 4 shoe boxes stacked together (sorry don’t have exact measures)

Meals at checkpoints:

1 – soup and bread

2 – lasagne and salads

3 – braaied ostrich kebab with roll

Kind Regards

Linda Durand

Marketing & Communications Manager | Dryland Event Management

P.O. Box 1718, OUDTSHOORN, 6620, SOUTH AFRICA

Next Event: www.the36one.co.za

Lights - running 2 lights 1.magicShine 808U and a AAA batt 1000L helmet light but I don't think my magicshine battery is going to last the whole evening even on reduced power.

Any suggestions on good, light long lasting battery packs for magicshine.

I read that extremelights.co.za have a 9hrs light battery combo for R1450 but don't need another light.

Thanks for the advice

I bought a batt pack from extreme lights for my magicshine. Pm extreme lights on the hub.

I bought a batt pack from extreme lights for my magicshine. Pm extreme lights on the hub.

Shot. Just did that

We'll (4 of us) pretty much also be doing it un-supported (if you mean no follow/support vehicle).

I've been in touch with the Organisers, they've been great with responses, not as prompt as i'd like but i think they busy too? This might help with planning, using their box system ;)

Hi Clint

Correct one box per rider for checkpoint 1 and 3 and one for checkpoint 2

Size of box – my best shot - 4 shoe boxes stacked together (sorry don’t have exact measures)

Meals at checkpoints:

1 – soup and bread

2 – lasagne and salads

3 – braaied ostrich kebab with roll

Kind Regards

Linda Durand

Thanks for the info.

Affirmative, did it last year solo, unsupported, 17hrs48m

Do you remember how long it took you to get to checkpoint 1 and 2?

81km CP1

183km CP2

Umhlanga101 - sorry, it was all a blur

re: lights guys- I bought one of the generic lights that cwc had a special on for R800 sumfin rand last year and it. Battery lasted 12hrs45mins. Only used settings 1 & 2, 1 for general & 2 for descending. Took same light out 2 weeks ago for a 10hr22m ride & battery was still green after that.

Hey boys hows the training going, getting nervous? 10days to go...

I did a last minutes decision to take on this monster and only entered this morning, I loved the 240km Transbaviaans last year and this would just take it to another level. I didn't really train for this event and hope that my normal training would be enough for this (but this I will probably only find out on the day.

So far my training for this ride is way under what I would like it to be and standing at:

1658.8km, 21318m climb from January, which includes the 70km Leopard Crawl, Argus, 70km Kingfisher, and a 130km training ride and planning my last training ride for Saturday or Sunday of also +- 100km with another 1/2 rides during the week (weather permitted)

I have no idea what to expect but looking forward to push my boundaries.

Edited by Dom the Don

Dom, reason i'm doing this is a friend said to me when i asked if he was ready, he replied "if you had to be ready for everything you'd never do anything"

Did a 100km ride on the weekend, beyond that the gf & myself haven't done beyond 125km off-road. We going to take it 1 WP @ a time and hopefully see the finish line.

So believe in yourself and i'm sure we'll all get through it ;)

Thanks for the motivation Clinton, I saw that post you made earlier about your friend that passed away and that struck me in a BIG way and probably one of the biggest reasons I'm taking this on. I will see you there bud

DtD, glad you taken the plunge :thumbup:

The little lady & myself have decided we no longer "try", either you gonna do it or not. So she's entered to do the Table Mountain Crazy Store run, 37km over and around Table Mountain :wacko:

Last weekend before we hit the beautiful mountains. Saw the pics on the FB page, YoH YoH YoH, i can't wait to see some of those views in person.

Been a great rush sorting out last minute things, making a packing list, sorted all the tyres, need to just grease a couple things then we heading south :D

Have a super w/end all!

PS. I'll be the Asian riding a Ghost (Black & Red), come say "howzit".

Another mail about the waterpoint supplies:

Hi Kim

32Gi will be available at all water points.

All water points will be really well stocked with potatoes, bar one’s, sandwiches, date balls, koeksisters...and the list is endless

All checkpoints will have light meals in the form of lasagne and salad, braai wors, braai ostrich kebab, soup and bread, breakfast options ect.

We will try and get the menu on Facebook soon!

Kind Regards

Linda Durand

Let me tell you something, if tomorrow wasn't promised what would you give for today?

Forget everything else, forget that there was any sunlight left.

What would you spend today thinking about, yourself, or the man that's besides you or the man that you're going to give everything in your heart for?

We get one opportunity in life, one chance at life to do whatever you're going to do.

To lay your foundation and to make whatever mark you're going to make.

Whatever legacy you're going to leave, leave your legacy and it's found through effort.

Wins and losses come a dime a dozen.

But effort, nobody can judge effort because effort is between you and you.

Effort ain't got nothing to do with nobody else.

So that team that thinks they're ready to see you and think what they seen on film.

They ain't saw what film shows because every day is a new day; every moment is a new moment.

So now you got to go out and show them that I'm a different creature now than I was 5 minutes ago because I'm pissed off for greatness.

Because if you're ain't pissed off for greatness, that means you're ok with being mediocre.

There ain't no man in here ok with just being basic.

So let's do what we do.