Fox fork - stancion scratches

martinsnyman

Just went to pick my bike up from my lbs, had the fork serviced.

The fork was super hard, hardly any travel available and the rebound knob wouldn't turn.

The guys just looked dumb founded at me, had to show them on a new bike that the rebound knob turns.

Here hoping they get it right.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What bothers me with this is why can't Fox see that their forks has a flaw and make a plan to resolve the issue? Surely you can't expect to buy a fork for 4-8k and then have to replace the seals?

By the same logic, if you bought a Lamborghini for R 2.5 mil, would you expect never to have to service it?

Everything mechanical requires maintenance, like it or not. Some parts (in this case the seals) are designed to wear out to protect other, more expensive bits like stanchions. But if you leave them for long enough, they'll eventually wear out the other stuff too.

Stick to the maintenance schedule, as you would with your car, and your fork will give you years of service.

By the same logic, if you bought a Lamborghini for R 2.5 mil, would you expect never to have to service it?

Everything mechanical requires maintenance, like it or not. Some parts (in this case the seals) are designed to wear out to protect other, more expensive bits like stanchions. But if you leave them for long enough, they'll eventually wear out the other stuff too.

Stick to the maintenance schedule, as you would with your car, and your fork will give you years of service.

Agreed, however there is an intrinsic fault with the seals as this is what causes the problem, nothing else. especially as there are no instructions (99.9% of the time) shipped with the fork/bike. Especially considering that in 2 months you can f up a Fox fork, and this is not the case with many other forks.

by way if example: prior to getting and "destroying" my Fox fork in about 7-8 months of minimal riding.

In the past I had:

Reba Race - This did 1 x Cape Epic and training for 2 x epics and was serviced three times in it's life. and it is still doing service in my wife's bike 5 years later (stantions are now showing wear)

Manitou R7 - Did 2 x Cape Epic and requisite training. This was serviced once during each Epic and this is also doing awesome service on my son's bike but this is now also showing stantion ware now. But damn this has only had one service since 2010.

Bottom line is the manufacturers need to make sure that the user's are aware of the servicing requirements before they purchase.

Oh no... bad signs. Which lbs?

I'm going to give them a chance to make it right, since I generally get good service from them. Going to have to wait 2 weeks since they sent the shock off

Ride it till it breaks!

Have seen many similarly worn forks like yours go on for a yr or 2 or even more, might marginally affect stiction but you probably won't even notice it. A service now and good maintenance here forward won't hurt either.

I have to AGREE...RIDE IT TILL IT CANNOT KEEP OIL ANYMORE!! that will be yeras from now... (in the mena time save r50 every month towrads a new fork in 2018!!)

A few things from my dirt bike riding experience...

1 - Nicks and scratches can be buffed out using a fine water paper.

2 - Badly damaged fork stanchions can be rechromed (opt for the hard chrome option).

3 - Use of a seal mate can increase the life of your seals exponentially. (http://sealmate.net/)

4 - After a wet ride, remove the dust caps and clean out any accumulated muck.

A few things from my dirt bike riding experience...

2 - Badly damaged fork stanchions can be rechromed (opt for the hard chrome option).

On dirt bikes, yes. On MTB forks they're pressed into the crown and can't be removed for recoating - at least not by anyone in SA.

That seal mate tool looks like it's worth a try though - although once a seal has worn enough to start letting dirt in, I don't think that removing the dirt will make it seal again. But it's worth a shot - are they available locally or just online?

On dirt bikes, yes. On MTB forks they're pressed into the crown and can't be removed for recoating - at least not by anyone in SA.

That seal mate tool looks like it's worth a try though - although once a seal has worn enough to start letting dirt in, I don't think that removing the dirt will make it seal again. But it's worth a shot - are they available locally or just online?

Ah yes... forgot about the pressed into crown bit.

Seal mates are available at dirt bike stores. Just got to phone around. Full Throttle, World of Accessories, Etc.

hi Guys,

Tank you for all the feedback - so I took the fork in for a service today, I will keep an eye on it and worse case scenario replace the crown and stancions if it wears again too quickly.

I.pulled the lowers off my wife's fork last night, replaced the oil and seals and it took me about 40mins.

Easy enough to do, will service my Reba next.

I.pulled the lowers off my wife's - bike's fork last night, replaced the oil and seals and it took me about 40mins.

Easy enough to do, will service my Reba next.

Fixed it for you :devil: