Help a noob - easy going Durbanville cycling routes

SiriS

Hi there

New to cycling (MTB) and looking for some proper saddle time (40km-ish), not too hilly, and roads with shoulders in Durbanville area.

Looking at Wellington out to Spes Bona back via Koeberg, but that's only around 25km. Anyway to extend?

Would appreciate and advice/suggstions.

Or Koeberg to the Philadelphia Turnoff. Turn right to Wellington. turn right in to Wellington and back to D'ville. Or Vice versa - That's 40kms.

A bit more dirt but 4 kms shorter (and flatter) is take the Occultdale road from (or to) Koeberg rd.

Philadelphia and back (tar with dirt shoulders) is between 40 and 50kms.

We will be doing one of those loops at a LSD pace on Friday morning if you want to join.

The R304 - Bottelary - Old Oak - Fairtrees loop s another relatively flat 50er which is best taken counter clockwise in the AM.

Edited by ' Dale

Looking at Wellington out to Spes Bona back via Koeberg, but that's only around 25km. Anyway to extend?

Like Da Vinci said, go past Spes Bona for about 6km, turn right on Occultdale and come back on the Klipheuwel road, would give you close to 40km.

You can extend further by going on the Slent road at the big wind generators at Klipheuwel (not my favourite gravel road).

Personally I usually avoid the Philadelphia road as its narrow without a shoulder with a lot of trucks using it.

I also second the Koeberg to Philedelphia and back or the Koeberg Occultdale trip. On the R304 I ride on the gravel shoulder. There is a rough gravel shoulder, Skubarra! I don't like the R 302, the Klipheuwel rd, too boring, same goes for Bottelary Rd also mind numbing. Last Sunday on the way back from Stellenbosch (massive hangover, only got to bed at 04h00) I searched for the foot paths next to Bottelary, found a few, but not nearly enough and had to go past Kuilsriver and up La Belle on the tar.

I often do Spes Bona in the morning, from my house the round trip is close to 30 km, I then include a hill or two in Aurora if I feel particularly chirpy. This morning I did Robinson St in Aurora, then through D'Urbanvale to Koeberg, then Spes Bona out and back and then Odendaal as an encore. Was about 34 km.

Your other option is to include Malanshoogte and Vissershok or Tiekiedraai, although Vissershok I only do early on a Sat or Sun when the traffic is light. A round trip: Everdal-Klipheuwel-Spes Bona-Koeberg-Malanshoogte-Tiekiedraai is about 50km and includes two decent inclines.

I don't like the R 302, the Klipheuwel rd, too boring, same goes for Bottelary Rd also mind numbing.

I agree that its boring, especially when slogging into an afternoon headwind! (that said, very few of the Durbanville backroads are particularly exciting) - but its one of the few roads in the area where I feel relatively safe riding in the yellow lane and it links a number of gravel options

Thanks, routed planned on Strava. Koeberg - Occultsdale - Malmesbury Rd (this is same is Klipheuwel Rd?) - 32.1km.

I rode the Koeberg, Philadelphia, Wellington loop on Friday morning ( just before peak) the Philadephia section had a few trucks but the gravel shoulder was very rideable - loose and rocky in places but good training for riding those sections. At 6:30ish am going towards Wellington the sun is coming up in your eyes so can't begin to imagine how scary it would be on a road bike sharing the tarmac. The rollers are not as bad doing it that way so my sufferscore wasn't too bad - considering I was supposed to be complete LSD. The flattish section back to D'ville had a fair amount of traffic but the shoulder is wide and as a girl (we were 2) I feel a bit happier riding with cars coming past just from a personal safety point of view. Almost 40kms exactly from D'urbanvale and back.

• 6 months later...

If you ride for about 5km past the windmills, take a right turn at the small sign saying "Leewendans". The road takes you in the direction of Klapmuts. The full "Slent" loop from Durbanville is about 65km but there are options to making it shorter or longer. pm if you want a map :-)

Can someone tell me if Slent is a public road or going on private farmland?

Done this route a few times but do not know if it is a "legal" route. Had a close call with that HUGE dog(farm house) when you turn right after the wind generators.

Can someone tell me if Slent is a public road or going on private farmland?

Done this route a few times but do not know if it is a "legal" route. Had a close call with that HUGE dog(farm house) when you turn right after the wind generators.

I have seen that massive dog, luckily it was behind the fence when I passed... Feels a bit weird going through the farmyard but I'm sure it's a public road, haven't seen any signs that it's private or no cycling allowed. I have ridden it often and have greeted the people living on the farm in passing, nobody has complained about me passing through yet..