Import costs from Tarty Bikes

bat man

Does anybody know the importing costs/import duties on bring bikes in SA.

Really keen to start trials, been watching too many Danny McAskill's :thumbup:

On a full bike? 30% plus Vat calculated at 15.4% of the total value including duties. So total cost would be ex vat amount plus 50% to get the after vat and duties amount. Then add shipping to that...

its a lot! better/cheaper bet will be to build a Street/DJ/Park bike, can be used in same way, but if your really amped, go for it.

Pound is also extremely expensive at the moment and Tarty's shipping alone you're looking at R1500+

Dammmmmmmn :cursing:

I'm really keen but that is a big high. I'm going to the UK later in the year as part of my PhD (chemistry).

If I was to buy a bike there, would the same costs apply, don't sponsored riders take bikes overseas, any ideas if they pay??

If you can prove that you bought it and paid tax (vat) on it while you were living there, used it there regularly and we're staying there for a while (accounts in your name, proof of address etc) then no problem. You just won't be able to claim the VAT back when you leave. It's effectively yours and no import duties apply as you're bringing your assets / belongings home with you.

If you just go there for 2 weeks and buy it to bring back here then yeah, the same rules apply as ig you buy it online as you're effectively importing it as a new bike. Full import duties apply.

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

Thanks, that is sounding more promising now:)

I'll be going to study ay a university there for 3 months, so I think that should be long enough. It'll be my hobby while abroad.

As I have never flown before (honest as can be), what would be the cost of bringing such an item back to SA, ball park figures anyway??

SAA gives you an allowance of one free bike on their flights. Free, mahala. Except some European flights. Make sure it is boxed and under 23kg. Call them or check their site. And cos it's free, call before and make sure there is room on the flight

Worst advice ever. Especially seeing as he's going to be studying and living there...

Agree with Armpies. These days they wanna write down the serial number of your bike if you take it out and declare it at customs. So good luck with flying in with a bike with a different serial number.

Best bet is to fly back via OR Tambo and look like a tourist. They very seldom stop you at customs there, just too many people to check. Now CT is a different kettle of fish. Customs take their work seriously, so be warned if you try and bypass the process of paying VAT and duties.

My understanding is also that if you had the bike for longer than 6 months and you can prove it, you have to pay no VAT or duties?

@Camelman: Importing from Tarty is D**s expensive in plain English!!! Normally customs are not too difficult on "used" items coming back to SA. I have heard time and again of people buying gadgets overseas, taking them out the box, using it and bringing it back without any issues. So if you ride it their , (it will get bashed a few times), the tyres will wear away etc, so signs of use should be easy to prove. And at some stage you didn't pay duties on gifts (not sure if this still applies), so just get a friend/lecturer to write you a "Good job" note where they "give" you the bike as a gift?

It doesnt Matter. He is still going to pay Vat and duties on the bike.

Lexx, just out of interest - what is the statute of limitations on this one? If I, for example, buy a bike over there while I am studying, how long would I have to have been living there in order for it to be undutiable?

Thanks for all the info guys

Bringing a bike back on a flight for free is certainly a bonus! However still having to pay 50% for VAT and duties is harsh :eek:

Lexx, I'm going to study for 3 months and hopefully travel Europe while sleeping on friends floors for a month, would four months qualify as a period to deem a bike as undutiable?

Lexx, just out of interest - what is the statute of limitations on this one? If I, for example, buy a bike over there while I am studying, how long would I have to have been living there in order for it to be undutiable?

Unfortunately it will never be un-dutiable. The only way that you can maybe skip duties, if you're a returning citizen and you can maybe wangle the bike through as personal effects. Sometimes they don't thoroughly check the goods for returning citizens. Only a spot check. But if you going to put the original price or market price on the list of goods thats returning to ZA, they will def ask you for a DA65 or you going to pay the full VAT and Duties? Keep the price low low.

Thanks for all the info guys

Bringing a bike back on a flight for free is certainly a bonus! However still having to pay 50% for VAT and duties is harsh :eek:

Lexx, I'm going to study for 3 months and hopefully travel Europe while sleeping on friends floors for a month, would four months qualify as a period to deem a bike as undutiable?

Nope it wont.