Prestige Ultra safety issues - hey?

Henley 1

I do not understand the politics of the TRI sport and it does not interest me, but here is my perspective as an athlete:

I did that race yesterday in casual mode en route to IMSA. The swim was 100% safe because we could use wetsuits, so even us useless swimmers felt confident. The bike route (with exception of few well-controlled spots) was on the widest, flattest highway in the RSA. The run was in a residential area and park, nicely balance between hills and flats. Water points - much more that I could drink in one. So where was my safety compromised? Somebody educate me about this hoo-haa

TSA need to understand that they are here to serve the sport and not for their own self-interest.
This now the organisation who cannot get their provinces to organise provincial duathlon champs? ....

The organisation who killed a long term development program of one of their members for some short term TV dress rehearsal?

All about how how $$$$$$$ TSA can squeeze out of us weekend warriors. Apparently TSA takes a fair chunk of your entry fee for "sanctioning".

In all fairness to TSA, they should also state their case openly on this forum so that triathletes can see the full picture. Both the event organiser and TSA should openly make their thinking patterns clear to us, the athletes - the clients!!! In a democratic society there should not be room for secretive politics and power play.

right?

TSA is a waste of time and they have a history with Louis and his events, Louis (Faceplant) doesn't take their crap and I agree, they are a waste for us as athletes and probably hell for event organisers.

TSA is a waste of time and they have a history with Louis and his events, Louis (Faceplant) doesn't take their crap and I agree, they are a waste for us as athletes and probably hell for event organisers.

My general rule for events: if Louis organise it, it is going to be good.

I am involved with the organisation of a few road running races through my club. I know that the Johannesburg Joint Operations Committee (JOC) will not allow our races to proceed without CGA approval.

However, JOC is the arbiter of safety not CGA. CGA approval is more about official sanction and the club being in good standing. JOC evaluates road closure, JMPD and marshalling plans, emergency medical services, SAPS event grading, fire safety, noise abatement etc.

While the JOC process is onerous, as an attendee at an event you will be glad that all this is done.

So it would seem unusual that TSA could withdraw sanction on safety issues as they are not qualified or the higher authority. The local municipality is the controlling authority.

My general rule for events: if Louis organise it, it is going to be good.

Agree with both points: Louis didn't like TSA getting involved two years ago (similar debacle) and Louis ALWAYS does a good race, all bases covered. Even his intro into Rockman this year was brilliant

As usual, TSA tried to use their "clout" to get Louis to buckle to whatever they wanted, and it didn't work.

Think TSA need to evaluate what their role is in triathlon...haven't heard a single story in ages where they actually made a positive difference. Sure this sport can continue and get bigger without their involvement to be honest