Anthem 27.5 BB height?

Sephton

Hey guys, I see Giant doesn't list the BB height or BB drop for their bikes. I'm in the market for a 27.5" XC bike and it boiled down to either the Anthem 27.5 1 or the Scott Spark 740.

I prefer the spec of the Anthem but I would like some confirmation on the BB height. Are there any current owners who wouldn't mind measuring this for me please? I wouldn't want less than about 325mm clearance.

Thanks

Okay, so I bought the Anthem anyway and measured it at 317mm (centre of BB) for those who might be interested to know. A bit low for my liking but I guess I'll get used to it, seems most XC race bikes are quite low.

No no no, take it back immediately and tell them the thing is too flat! They better give you bigger tyres to get it higher or else! This is the Hub, you should be throwing tantrums about this stuff ;)

All jokes aside, give it a thorough ride and post a little review of your impressions here. :)

Oh well, I bought it as a marathon racer so I can't really complain. The Scott has a nice bb height (330mm I think) but I just couldn't get myself to pay R1000 more for a bike with worse components and which is almost half a kg heavier.

Cool, I'll write a proper review after the weekend...

Mine is a Medium and it's exactly 12kg without pedals after I removed the tubes and installed rim tape, valves and sealant. It comes standard with Racing Ralph TL-Ready tyres.

Scott claims 12.4kg for the Spark 740 which is probably for a Small.

So far it seems the BB height is a non-issue for me.

What does concern me a bit is the short gearing with the 38-26 chain rings and 27.5 wheels...but I see a XX1 or X01 upgrade somewhere in the future. For now I'll just have to get used to pedal faster :D

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I've been riding the 27.5 Anthem 1 for pretty much a year now. It is great!

It has allowed me to really test myself: got some of my best results on this bike. I love the low BB. It lets you really dig into corners on the trail.

It changed into a real demon when I slapped a pair of Alu American Classics on it! Been smiling ever since :w00t:

Also have my Anthem 27.5 1 for about 3 Months now. I love the bike. The low BB does bother me at times though, especially through rocky technical sections, I've hit my pedals on rocks quite a few times now, even though I do try and be careful not to. I'm definitely got get me me a pair of pedal arm boots later on so I don't damage them more

Been looking at the Anthem 27.5 for next year, but also want my son to use it for XCO racing.  The low BB might bother since some of our trails are very rocky, so I was also thinking of the Trance 27.5.  

Edit:  Another option is the Anthem SX 27.5.

Any opinions?

Edited by Moridin

Just a bit too low for me to buy an Anthem again, a great bike except for the too low BB, and too long chainstays on the 29er, but I would still choose the Anthem over the Spark.

Adding to my previous comment, even with the low BB, I would still have taken the Anthem over any other bike in the price range.

The bike is almost perfect, if there was anything I would change, it would be swapping out the Fox for  a RS fork, I would still keep the 100mm travel, and I would add a dropper. I weight just under 65kg's, so the 100mm of travel is sufficient for me, I've still not been able to bottom out the fork.

If I did have the extra moola now though, the Anthem SX looks friggin awesome.

Also have my Anthem 27.5 1 for about 3 Months now. I love the bike. The low BB does bother me at times though, especially through rocky technical sections, I've hit my pedals on rocks quite a few times now, even though I do try and be careful not to. I'm definitely got get me me a pair of pedal arm boots later on so I don't damage them more

My wife also have the Anthem 27.5 1 and she love the bike to bits!!!!