Slack head angle?

braailegend

Since there's s wheelsize buzz, i thought i'd post this up.

I cant seem to get used to a slack head angle. Why all the fuss? I had a frame with a Slack angle for about 3 weeks and then changed back to my old bike.

With the front wheel so far (not to big distance) infront of my handlebar, it felt certain things like bunnyhopping and cornering were affected very badly.

Is the slack headangle mainly orientated for racing? where you try and go as fast as possible, and not for making bike more versatile?

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p3pb2754692/p3pb2754692.jpg

The headtube angle is the angle the headtube forms with the ground. The steeper this angle is, the faster a bike will turn and the better it will climb. A slacker angle provides for slower steering and is a bit harder to climb with but provides stability at higher speeds. A typical cross country bike will have a steep headtube angle, usually around 71 degrees. A downhill bike on the other hand, will have a much slacker angle, closer to 65 degrees.

too slack for a proper response....

what was your initial reason for getting a bike with a slacker angle?

there will be a big difference in handling on trails due to the slacker angle.

Whaaaat? Were you trying a 63deg DH bike or something? Most AM bikes these days come with a HA of between 66 and 68 degrees. However, may things affect the stated HA such as the fork travel - a taller fork slackens the HA . A softer rear shock may also cause the rear to ride lower and have the same effect. My bike is about 67 deg but with the fork dropped 30mm to 120mm travel is probably more like 68.5. I use this for the climbs.

The slacker angle helps hugely with stability on steep descents but you also need to be mobile on the bike and change your riding style a bit. Moving weight side to side and forwards to cover the front wheel a bit is standard stuff if you want to go fast downhill.

And of course wider bars make steering on the technical uphills perfectly easy on a slacker AM bike, as does a shorter stem eg 50mm.

what is your seat height at?

you cant have a slack head angle bike without a dropper post*?

* From what I read on the hub

I dont even have a quick release, allenkey bolt, seat set as low as possible, except when im on my way home after ride on tar and im tired, ill put seat up, haha.

Initial reason was just to get newer frame... And most new frames claim the wonder of new slack HA's. went Intense-->Trek fuel 2012-->back to old intense

ooohhh....imagine having a frame with an adjustable head angle...

hmmm.. but that would negate the need for an AM classified bike....

almost like a mullet, xco on the saturday, and AM on the sunday....

Please note:

If you are a bicycle manufacturer, and I see a bike as per the above... it was my idea first, and I want royalties....

ooohhh....imagine having a frame with an adjustable head angle...

hmmm.. but that would negate the need for an AM classified bike....

almost like a mullet, xco on the saturday, and AM on the sunday....

Please note:

If you are a bicycle manufacturer, and I see a bike as per the above... it was my idea first, and I want royalties....

It already exists. Not only in frame but also headset manufacturers.

Since there's s wheelsize buzz, i thought i'd post this up.

I cant seem to get used to a slack head angle. Why all the fuss? I had a frame with a Slack angle for about 3 weeks and then changed back to my old bike.

With the front wheel so far (not to big distance) infront of my handlebar, it felt certain things like bunnyhopping and cornering were affected very badly.

Is the slack headangle mainly orientated for racing? where you try and go as fast as possible, and not for making bike more versatile?

What is the HA on the 5.5 and Fuel?

My Izimu has an adjustable rear shock mount, which changes the head angle, currently have it set up on its steepest, for my first enduro :w00t: . On its slackest setting you can forget about climbing anywhere.... ever.

Sure he has a 6.6...

but anyway: Fuel - 68

6.6 - 68.5

Jip, have the 6.6, with lyric on. With the trek it feel much "flatter" the fork....

But i may have the suspision that the lyric was much to big for the fuel ex9 frame, which gave it that feel. Think the trek is rated for 120mm fork,haha

Slack head angles for people with real jobs that are only trying to survive the downs rather than impress oneself..? (since Friday has been brought forward).