Cramping/Eating

Waynehans

Hey guys. I don't usually cramp. But at the recent Ride the Rock on day 1, I really struggled, Had a good dinner and breakfast, Drank a lot as well. My problem is eating during a race. I can handle gels, but bars, sandwiches etc, i can't get down. I need to stop and eat and then go, I can't ride and eat.

Is there anything I can do before hand, or should I stop and eat and rather lose the 2 min, at the water point, than cramping and limping home at a stupid speed, losing me more time...!!!???

I can't ride and eat.

Is there anything I can do before hand, or should I stop and eat and rather lose the 2 min, at the water point, than cramping and limping home at a stupid speed, losing me more time...!!!???

Solve point one first.

Hey guys. I don't usually cramp. But at the recent Ride the Rock on day 1, I really struggled, Had a good dinner and breakfast, Drank a lot as well. My problem is eating during a race. I can handle gels, but bars, sandwiches etc, i can't get down. I need to stop and eat and then go, I can't ride and eat.

Which part of you is cramping?

Cramps are in most cases a sign of riding to hard i.e. above the level you have trained at

Read this:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/104661-cramps-the-clearest-view-ive-read-yet/

When you are riding at a fast pace (fast pace relevant to your fitness level) it can also be difficult to eat solids.

Have you tried cutting the things you eat into smaller pieces and eating a little bit at a time?

Start practicing eating while riding during training and hopefully you will get used to it

Which part of you is cramping?

Cramps are in most cases a sign of riding to hard i.e. above the level you have trained at

Read this:

http://www.thehubsa....w-ive-read-yet/

When you are riding at a fast pace (fast pace relevant to your fitness level) it can also be difficult to eat solids.

Have you tried cutting the things you eat into smaller pieces and eating a little bit at a time?

Start practicing eating while riding during training and hopefully you will get used to it

My upper legs, started at about 40km, was a silly uphill there, and did do alot of walking. from about 60 my calves also started..

Eating while riding is a learnt bike skill, especially on the mtb. Having said that, stopping to eat at a water point is better than crashing trying to eat on the fly. Pick your spot carefully, like a long straight fairly solid piece of gravel where you'll be going slowly uphill.

Try eating banana first. It is easy to keep in your back pocket, easy to take out and peel with your teeth and one hand, easy to bite off, chew and swallow because it is so slippery, even without water. The second best thing to try is small boiled baby potatoes, skin and all, rolled in a bit of salt. It makes a nice change from all the sweet energy drink.

I don't eat solids for shorter rides (3hrs or under) and only drink energy drink and water with Rehydrate in. For long rides (5 hrs and more) I feel I have to eat as described above, sometimes also adding nuts & raisins or soft biltong, but these need some water to swallow. I keep gels mainly for an emergency "get me home" boost for those impossibly fast or long days in the saddle.

PS As said above, the cramping is an altogether different story!

Edited by DJR