MTB upgrade advice

cadenceblur

Hi guys

Would appreciate some input...

The mtb bug has bitten, and I'm looking at doing some small upgrades to my bike.

I know you guys will say wheels, but not looking to spend that much right now (have my eye on some ZTR's with hope hubs :-))

I have a Scott Scale 960, so components are entry level. XT rear derailleur and the rest is Deore, barring the crank.

What suggestions? I'm looking at a maximum spend of R2000. Hoping to pick up some bargains at expo or on the current sales.

PS :already have tubeless.

Something very few people would recommend: Get yourself a top-end set of cables. XTR is excellent value, you won't believe the difference it makes to your shifting. Next, look at a really nice seat and good grips, an ESI Chunky set will do the trick. Also consider pedals, within your budget.

Contact points with your bike - Spend on them.

Couple of things actually.

Wider bars and shorter stem will make the most noticeable difference to the way the bike handles.

Grips and saddle.

Pedals and shoes.

Brakes - SLX can be had in that budget.

I hate to disappoint you but I have seen very few bargains at any of the Expo's. Look here on the Hub or CWC and the like. IMO I agree with MH and Maxxis, especially about pedals/ shoes. Make a huge difference. ( SPD's or Candys)

Thanks guys, should have mentioned, already have Ergo grips, a specialized seat, a pair of Freeriders and a flat pedals.

In that case I'd go for better brakes and the stem handlebar upgrade.

Better brakes allow you the scrub off speed much later before corners and also brake with better control and confidence.

The shorter stem and wider bars will quicken the steering if the bike a bit which helps to get into corners with more confidence and also helps get weight back on descending.

I know this sounds stupid. But take the money and get a professional bike fit. You have an XC bike, it will never be a downhill beast, no matter what amount of money you spend on it. Get a proper fit done where they will check seat height, cleat position and all kinds of different angles. This was the best upgrade I have ever done. It got me riding without pains and problems, and that translates to happier riding.

Better brakes allow you the scrub off speed much later before corners and also brake with better control and confidence.

Yep, based on what you've already spent on, I'd also look at brakes. Keep an eye out for a good deal on an SLX set. Still, upgrade those shift cables anyway!

I know this sounds stupid. But take the money and get a professional bike fit. You have an XC bike, it will never be a downhill beast, no matter what amount of money you spend on it. Get a proper fit done where they will check seat height, cleat position and all kinds of different angles. This was the best upgrade I have ever done. It got me riding without pains and problems, and that translates to happier riding.

Thanks Camelman - I've already had an Ergo Fit though