The "Argus" factor ?

3wings

How did your ride go 3wings? I hope it was enjoyable and rewarding, despite the wind.!

Edited by GaryvdM

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How did your ride go 3wings? I hope it was enjoyable and rewarding, despite the wind.!

How was it 3wings?

4.27 and I'm not afraid to say that I was genuinely bothered by the wind.

I lent my training wheels to a buddy on Friday and was therefore left with no alternative but to ride my Zipp 404's which is fine, I guess, if you're an elite.

But I'm not and the crosswinds were seriously scary at times.

Have been reading the 'Argus 2014' thread and learning of the horrible smash-ups - and today taught me just how close we can all get sometimes. (There but for the Grace of God and all that...)

At my level of riding I'd rather brake and/or manoeuvre out of trouble than blast hell for leather into situations that could turn extremely ugly in a heartbeat.

The Mad Charity guys I rode with reckon you can deduct about 10% for the sort of wind conditions we had today, at least way down in the alphabet soup where I dwell.

So, who knows, had the wind that I tried so hard to wish away not materialised, then perhaps I'd have broken 4 hours.

For the moment however my thoughts are with those who didn't make it round in one piece; may they get better very, very soon.

Edited by 3wings

4.27 and I'm not afraid to say that I was genuinely bothered by the wind.

Considering your starting time and the wind factor (no argus factor was going to make up for that) it's a very good time.

Hope you reconsider your statement about this being your last attempt as your seeding would now be much better for 2015!

Considering your starting time and the wind factor (no argus factor was going to make up for that) it's a very good time.

Hope you reconsider your statement about this being your last attempt as your seeding would now be much better for 2015!

So, I can assume that yesterdays race will put me into a better seeding for next year?

So, I can assume that yesterdays race will put me into a better seeding for next year?

Hi Caerus and many congratulations on a superb result - an amazing achievement for a 'noobie'. !!

The answer to your question is yes but it would also potentially help if you could include a few of the other seeding events in your calendar over the coming year.

Here in the Cape the 'Die Burger' is a good one to do, as is the '99er' and 'The Medallion' - there are others of course, but if you achieve good results in these races (and they're excellent events to develop your racing skills) coupled with your Argus performance, you should move nicely up the seeding ranks.

Good luck & stay safe.

Thanks for your kind wishes Skubarra, but alas I don't think it will be possible.

Impressive TT from the back! Looking at last years results, even if you don't do another seeding race you will probably start somewhere around group Z & AA

Impressive TT from the back! Looking at last years results, even if you don't do another seeding race you will probably start somewhere around group Z & AA

Not really. I have done 2 prior to yesterday's, and without doing seeding races I started in PC, where last year I started in PA. With the new seeding rules they only start with your previous Argus results if you have finished 5.

With the new seeding rules they only start with your previous Argus results if you have finished 5.

Hi Morodin

Not sure about that, there are a few people who in 2013 started in the open groups, rode decent Argus times, did nothing else and had better seedings in 2014.

Weird

Then I was getting screwd. Not sure. I did see an e-mail that said otherwise. Let me go and find it.

OK, this was what I recieved in an e-mail:

Age and Cycle Tour History

In addition to the information given above, we have taken your age and number of completed Cycle Tours into account. If you didn't meet the above seeding event performance criteria, you were seeded as follows:

• Riders aged 75 and over – in group DD;
  • Club 21 members – in group DD;
  • Riders aged 70 to 74 – in group EE;
  • Completed 16-20 Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tours – in group EE;
  • Completed 13-15 Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tours – in group FF;
  • Completed 12 Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tours – in group JJ;
  • Completed 11 Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tours – in group LL;
  • Completed 10 Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tours – in group QQ;
  • Completed 9 Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tours – in group RR;
  • Completed 8 Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tours – in group SS;
  • Completed 7 Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tours – in group UU;
  • Participated in more than one seeding event in 2013 - in group UU;
  • Completed 6 Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tours – in group WW;
  • Completed 5 Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tours – in group XX;
  • Participated in only one seeding event (other than the Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tour 2013) - in groups XX, YY and ZZ.

If you did not qualify for seeding based on the above criteria, but are a member of PPA (formerly WPPPA), you were automatically placed in the PPA category. Similarly, non-PPA members were placed in the Open category.

The way I read it, if you did not qualify for a seeding by completing a seeding race in a specific time, the above apply. I am not sure how to interpret it though.

The way I read it, if you did not qualify for a seeding by completing a seeding race in a specific time, the above apply. I am not sure how to interpret it though.

But this years Argus would count as a seeding race for next year? Which is why someone who started in an open group this year would have a seeding for next year.

Edited by Skubarra

I was seeded according to these criteria.

Edited by Blackbeard

Thanks, I guess I'll have to do a few more road races :thumbup: Will be good to learn the road racing techniques.

But this years Argus would count as a seeding race for next year? Which is why someone who started in an open group this year would have a seeding for next year.

Don't worry Caerus, your Argus time this year (even though it was your first) will count as 50% toward your seeding position for the 2015 Argus Tour. The remainder you'll need to work on as mentioned before: Die Burger, 99er, medallion etc.

Good luck !