The rules of Ironman

Garfield2010

I still disagree. Batman has a mechanic so why can us Ironmen have the same?

Because he is just Batman. I am an Ironman which is more specialer.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Drafting is always an issue as with the 10m rule it is the front guy's front wheel to the back guy's back wheel - so +/- 7m or 4 bike lengths between them. There has been many studies on the "drafting" advantage you get from staying within the rules and the consensus is that it it between 10W-15W. Thus the pace lines in the pro fields. Now anyone with a powermeter will know riding 10-15W higher at an Ironman takes quite a bit more effort.

The best real time case study of this is Kyle Buckingham vs the Pros at Kona 2013. Similar Watts and similar VI equalled 20 minutes slower for Kyle, or similar bike time equalled 20W more for Kyle. Advantage of the pace line...

post-13411-0-27408000-1393574394_thumb.jpg

Edited by gadget

The official rule sets from the races below :

KONA

13. Athletes must be individually responsible for repair and maintenance of their own bike. Athletes should be prepared to handle any possible mechanical malfunction. Assistance from official race personnel is permitted.

*Note: Technical support vans will be on the course to assist with emergency repairs whenever possible; but athletes are expected to be able to handle basic repairs (changing a flat, basic adjustments, etc.) themselves. Technical vans will be on the course throughout the day, but are limited in number. Please be self-sufficient.

IMSA

19. Each contestant is individually responsible for the repair and maintenance of their own bike. Assistance by anyone, other than IRONMAN technical support officials will be grounds for disqualification. Each cyclist should be prepared to handle any possible mechanical malfunction. Technical support DOES NOT include the normal changing of flat tyres.

So assistance from "support Officials" is permitted on both. I am sure we can all appreciate that anything can happen on the day and no-one wants to see anyone's day cut short by a broken spoke or wheel.

Seems there is a slight difference with the rules on this point :

KONA

b. Athletes must keep 7 meters (4 bike lengths) distance between bikes except when passing. Failure to do so will result in a drafting violation.

IMSA

5. Absolutely NO DRAFTING of another bike or any other vehicle is allowed. The drafting zone is 10m x 1.5m (10 metres from your front wheel to the back wheel of the contestant in front of you). Contestants must ride single file on the far right side of the road except when passing another rider. All passing is to the left.

Not that this is too relevant but come on...... if you have done an Ironman or 70.3 then you have seen drafting, it always happens. I was fortunate enough to do IM70.3 Worldchamps in Clearwater a few years ago and there was not just drafting but there were peletons that formed.

I guess its up to each of us to decide how guilty we feel if we get pulled into this.

Race day is always different too, the red mist takes over, you're sucking air as you battle into the wind and hey maybe I will just sit here for 30 seconds to recover before I pass the person in front..............

The was an "unquote" from an unamed pro a few years ago where they said it was worth the risk of a penalty to save on energy and tuck in behind someone over 100km.

Its up to the individual to take the spirit of the event into consideration and have the confidence that when they cross the finish line that their conscience is clear.

Remember that if you draft it is not a PB!

Spot on, wish everyone had that attitude but its to easy to say...agh wtf everyone else is so I may as well.

But the dilemma is what do you do when a bus load of "triathletes" either pass you clearly benefiting from the bus effect or worst case scenario they all riding the bus behind you?

I had a group come past me on IM70.3 this year, close to the end of the bike leg.. I had to sprint to catch up to them to tune them they are bunch of cheats, they werent amused, but its wrong ( felt that little sprint in the run later on ;-)

slow down.

"Nature break"

Slowing down and nature break just means you loose time while they will continue without any time lost

I usually develop a build up of mucus in my throat and nose which needs to be cleared a few times in short succession.

Or let them pass, then you ride the legal distance behind them and wave at the race ref when you see one (just make sure you are the legal distance or more behind them). Problem is often you end up feeling like you are going to slow then and end up passing them all and then the same *** starts again...

Slowing down and nature break just means you loose time while they will continue without any time lost

I usually develop a build up of mucus in my throat and nose which needs to be cleared a few times in short succession.

Or let them pass, then you ride the legal distance behind them and wave at the race ref when you see one (just make sure you are the legal distance or more behind them). Problem is often you end up feeling like you are going to slow then and end up passing them all and then the same *** starts again...

No, I don't mean stopping for a nature break, I meant going on the bike

Do the Math.... say there is 3,000 guys doing a 70.3 race. Even with wave starts of 800 per wave most oke's swim say a 37min. If 400 of the 800 oke's start cycling within 5 minutes from one another they need effectively 4km of road and need to be evenly spread to be "legal".

Saw the EL 70.3 on TV and the pros seemed to not draft at all.

It is hard as well since you have to keep accelerating as well to pass certain guys within the allotted time which can be very tiring....

Do the Math.... say there is 3,000 guys doing a 70.3 race. Even with wave starts of 800 per wave most oke's swim say a 37min. If 400 of the 800 oke's start cycling within 5 minutes from one another they need effectively 4km of road and need to be evenly spread to be "legal".

Saw the EL 70.3 on TV and the pros seemed to not draft at all.

It is hard as well since you have to keep accelerating as well to pass certain guys within the allotted time which can be very tiring....

Yip, unless you want to ride at the pace of the good swimmers (read slower cyclists) you are going to be doing a whole lot of passing in the first 45 km of the bike in EL, it only really opens up when the speeds increase after the turn around. I was forced to ride the first half harder than I wanted to, just to keep passing in order to prevent being caught in a slow moving line of riders. The problem is that to keep passing, the refs think you are blocking because you are not moving left after passing.

No, I don't mean stopping for a nature break, I meant going on the bike

But its hard to pee while you are riding at a decent pace..... :whistling:

IMHO that's one of the reasons why drafting became legal in "those other" triathlons and even for age groupers some refs turn a blind eye, it became to difficult to enforce the rules especially on the shorter distances.

But its hard to pee while you are riding at a decent pace..... :whistling:

IMHO that's one of the reasons why drafting became legal in "those other" triathlons and even for age groupers some refs turn a blind eye, it became to difficult to enforce the rules especially on the shorter distances.

You mean those other triathlons that Lance once called “a shampoo, blow dry and 10 k foot race.” - One of his better quotes IMO

You mean those other triathlons that Lance once called “a shampoo, blow dry and 10 k foot race.” - One of his better quotes IMO

Haha...hell I missed a good LA quote.