A few things.....

DRIVETRAIN

smiley4.gif

I ordered 2 GP4000 tyres for my racing wheelset..That said I'm sure I'm gonna be happy with them..foldable & all. Unlike the Conti Gatorskins..very good training tyre  BUT..last nite I notice on my "not so old set" the side wall is somewhat frayed..man this happens a lot and the tyre is still damm good for another few thousand k's per say....Can't just throw them away..I opted to "patch" the frayed part from the inside as I've done with another set and rode with it no worries.....also depending how bad it is...

Why is this so and have U had these issues on your Conti's ???? Punctures are almost unheard of and that's what I like about them....

"DTsmiley20.gif"

I have heard about this problem on the GP3000 but not on the 4000 - I have currently got a pair on and have found them to be great so far - lovely handling and good wear to date.

I was going to buy the 4000's but he force and attacks were just R20 more, so I got them instead. VERY FIRST RIDE I GOT A MASSIVE HOLE IN THEM, I AM NOT HAPPY....still got them on and did a 190km ride the weekend, no holes, so maybe just had some bad luck?

Guest Michelle

According to cycle tech it's a weakness of the GP4000's.  I had a puncture & found that there was a cut right through the sidewall.  smiley6.gif

My current set also have a couple of grazes on the sidewalls so I'm a little worried how long they are going to last...

Although, I do ride over everything... smiley9.gif

ps. my force and attacks side walls were looking rather sh*tty after my first ride but this could be attributed to my hubs been loose which caused some friction between the bake brake blocks and tyre, I hope that's what it was...I also don't ride over everything Michelle! if it's faster then me I'll miss is if not I'll go over itsmiley9.gif

After I tried to put a brand new Gatorskin on the rim and the beed came loose and the shop refused to replace it, I changed to cheaper Maxxis tyres and never looked back. My bike was stanidng for 18 months and the sidewalls of the Maxxis tyres are not even cracked. Will never buy any Contis again.

smiley4.gif

Ok now the problem of the sidewall being frayed is happening on my Ultra Gatorskins not the GP4000's as explained above,,,I will be using the GP4000 for the first time this weekend...to race with. On the other hand the GP4000 does not seem to be a popular choice among some of you ????

What about Hutchinson's???? Maxxis????? what particular brands are good & light for racing??? All this comes down to "Racing Tyres"...I'm not too concerned about the Ultra Gatorskins fraying etc...I can live with that..

"DTsmiley20.gif"

NOOO HUTCHINSONS!!!

I had a pair and they're crap! Did a few rides and my wheels started looking like I've ridden over dead dog/cat... all hair clinging to them...from side walls to the whole bloody tyre. Look at Schwalbe (http://www.schwalbe.com), I've hard they have good racing tires and are pretty good all round. Never tried it and I think they more expensive than the Conti's... smiley5.gif
Jason2006-09-05 06:09:20

no probs with my GP4000 so far. 

had issues with numerous punctures in schwalbe & hutchinson (not even to mention the Vittoria Diamante Pro Lite that came with the bike!!!!) 

the hutch got a massive hole after about 2 weeks of riding - started off as a small cut from glass and the thread just went after that.  spent 80km of the Wilro 100 on the back of a flatbed truck because of Hutchinson.

dont think they make the Conti Front / Rear as strong as the GP4000.

watch out for stones knicking the tire on the sidewall - in Europe where they test these things potholes,  boulders & broken Zamalek bottles do not exist.

I also have the GP 4000's and I must admit they're good. Only problem I had with them was... I had a pair of blue ones on my Cervelo and it looked k@k... other than that I give them smiley20.gif. Jason2006-09-05 06:26:03

Get the Michelin Pro Race (colour not important), ride them in a race and you very quickly understand why! The GP4000 I have to say is not my favourite tyre, I've got so many slashes in these things it's actually ridiculous, got gator's to cover the bigger holes. Am using them for training now in an effort to wear them down. DT make sure the GP 4000's have the wax scrubbed off them before you race or you will fall, been there.

smiley4.gif

What would the Michelin Pro-Race sell for in comparison to the GP4000's ????

Thing is we gonna differ on most things cycling....TitusTi...would the wax layer/film be scrubbed off with ordinary soapy water or what ???

"DTsmiley20.gif"

I think they do cost a bit more than the GP4000 but then again from my last set I got a year's worth of trouble free riding and racing, so it works out I think. As to the wax layer, isopropyl alcohol works, or alternativley riding the tyre and progressivley cornering lower and lower to actually wear it off works to. Don't think the Isopropyl will have any negative effects on the tyre, maybe someone else knows? (Open invitation).

Hey, why do you think we're gonna differ on most things cycling, I have an open mind and am very accepting of people who listen to me?

DT as for the wax layer... ride up and down the road a couple of times (? 300km's) just kidding... a few times up and down and the wax is off. I started a race on a brand new set and took it easy at the start. It wears off quickly. smiley4.gif

I have to agree that the pro race 2 is probably the best race tire I have ever used..but it is prone to punctures and does not seem to wear that well (in my experience) I have also used the tandem version and that is great too.

GP4000 is not far off though in terms of grip and is much harder wearing and more puncture resistant - I hated the GP3000 but this is a different story.

smiley4.gif

Was just gonna say 300k's for a wax layer U got to be kidding me...No worries we doing a 130k loop over the weekend so I'll take it easy at first..

What I mean is when I say we gonna differ is that take our Tyre topic for e.g...price?? quality?? duribility?? etc...U like Michelin's...some like GP4000's..each one with different tyres & different opinions hence there is common ground that what works for one will not work for another..again U don't like Conti's mate...other's do..me..I like red tyres for racing because it matches my wheelset..practicality.  

That's it.....!!!

"DTsmiley20.gif"