IM Zurich

Grantc

Bliksem, had a terrible training run this weekend...really contemplating if its worth doing now :(

Cmon, you can do it! Just aim to finish!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly what he said. Just go and enjoy the day boet. Having butterflies is normal. They'll fly away. :D

Yea right....just to finish was always the plan

Exactly what he said. Just go and enjoy the day boet. Having butterflies is normal. They'll fly away. :D

yeah sure them as well but those i can live with

Was sick (as in nausea) as a dog after a 3 hr run...its an old issue that i thought i was cured of but it came back and smacked me hard... its happened to me before in just about every long distance tri I ever did, so much so that many years ago i swore i would never do one again...like a fool i forgot

Bliksem, had a terrible training run this weekend...really contemplating if its worth doing now :(

Maybe just a bad training day.

Just do it.....you'll have plenty time when you get off the bike.

Maybe just a bad training day.

Just do it.....you'll have plenty time when you get off the bike.

I really hope so (just a bad day), it is not a very confidence inspiring session when afterwards you end up vomiting every 20 minutes for a hour and a half....

Yea right....just to finish was always the plan

yeah sure them as well but those i can live with

Was sick (as in nausea) as a dog after a 3 hr run...its an old issue that i thought i was cured of but it came back and smacked me hard... its happened to me before in just about every long distance tri I ever did, so much so that many years ago i swore i would never do one again...like a fool i forgot

Shoe that sucks. I sometimes also get nausea after a tough day out, but that's just my body reacting to excess sugar intake from all the GU. You not also just taking on too much Coke/GU etc perhaps? I've gotten around my problem by eating lots of salty stuff during the day e.g. biltong, baby potatoes, marmite samies etc etc. Seems to be working (for me at least).

could be that you are taking too much or too little nutrition, can have the same effect...PM me your mail address, will send a spreadsheet I created to work out how much you should take in per hour of racing...

Shoe that sucks. I sometimes also get nausea after a tough day out, but that's just my body reacting to excess sugar intake from all the GU. You not also just taking on too much Coke/GU etc perhaps? I've gotten around my problem by eating lots of salty stuff during the day e.g. biltong, baby potatoes, marmite samies etc etc. Seems to be working (for me at least).

After much self interrogation.... i think its definetly down to a combo of what i ate on the day and drank during the run.

I did experiment a bit (drank a bit of coke with water in the last hour which i have not done this year) and probably did not have enough proper food during the day before starting. I had my normal breakfast BUT for lunch i had 2 power bars (the protein / carb bar for before and during events). This is much less than what im used to eating on a normal day never mind when running 32 km in the afternoon

After much self interrogation.... i think its definetly down to a combo of what i ate on the day and drank during the run.

I did experiment a bit (drank a bit of coke with water in the last hour which i have not done this year) and probably did not have enough proper food during the day before starting. I had my normal breakfast BUT for lunch i had 2 power bars (the protein / carb bar for before and during events). This is much less than what im used to eating on a normal day never mind when running 32 km in the afternoon

Ja, I think we all underestimate the impact of good (or bad) and sufficient nutrition. These days I try to stay with the basics: 1) Eat something solid every hour during the race (and try to mix the salty stuff in there) 2) Try (not always possible though) to only use products that you've already tried and tested during training. I really hope you can sort it out boet. Holding thumbs!

• 4 weeks later...

12hrs 44:18 for the T shirt and medal.

What a day and relief to finish without any major issues other than the usual aches and pains

Day was nearly ruined when i got a 6 minute penalty for drafting at km 27.... very difficult at that stage to maintain 10m gap but there is no warning or argueing with a zebra on a motorbike.

Wheels started to fall off on the run between km 20 - 30 so walked a lot (thanks to another Saffa JP Smit from Dubai for the company at that stage) which gave me time to recover enough to enjoy the last 12 km...LOL

post-182-0-02459100-1406618743_thumb.jpg

Well done Swiss! So no nausea problems on the run then?

Thanks

No not really, in the middle of the run i started feeling a bit quesy so took a long walk (really long LOL... kind of like running the water points and walking the bits inbetween...) ate some food (pretzels and apricot / apple pieces) and felt much better.

12hrs 44:18 for the T shirt and medal.

What a day and relief to finish without any major issues other than the usual aches and pains

Day was nearly ruined when i got a 6 minute penalty for drafting at km 27.... very difficult at that stage to maintain 10m gap but there is no warning or argueing with a zebra on a motorbike.

Wheels started to fall off on the run between km 20 - 30 so walked a lot (thanks to another Saffa JP Smit from Dubai for the company at that stage) which gave me time to recover enough to enjoy the last 12 km...LOL

post-182-0-02459100-1406618743_thumb.jpg

Jurrie is that you?

Cliff