Lets Talk Torque.

Caerus

I recently purchased myself a torque wrench. Now I feel I need to toque every bolt on my bikes to the correct setting. Well, that wasn't to be as I have not got a clue on what settings are for each and every bolt on the bikes.

Some of the manufacturers stamp a torque setting on the particular part, but a lot of the bolts I have no idea what to set the torque to.

Does anyone one have any idea what most of the settings should be, from rotor bolts to seat post and handlebars etc etc.

Does anyone have a comprehensive list or would the manufacturers have this info on there websites?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently purchased myself a torque wrench. Now I feel I need to toque every bolt on my bikes to the correct setting. Well, that wasn't to be as I have not got a clue on what settings are for each and every bolt on the bikes.

Some of the manufacturers stamp a torque setting on the particular part, but a lot of the bolts I have no idea what to set the torque to.

Does anyone one have any idea what most of the settings should be, from rotor bolts to seat post and handlebars etc etc.

Does anyone have a comprehensive list or would the manufacturers have this info on there websites?

On carbon you tighten till you hear "CRACK" then release half a turn :whistling:

If it isn't mentioned, then I just set the wrench to 5Nm. That seems to be the most common setting. Ritchey's torque key is preset to that as well.

When in doubt use 4 or 5nm...

Most manufacturers post the torque specs in their maintenance/specification documents - google will help you find them.

PS - please check your torque wrench is ACCURATE before using it - better tool shops will have a tester in house - in Jhb, The Toolshop has one.

When in doubt use 4 or 5nm...

Most manufacturers post the torque specs in their maintenance/specification documents - google will help you find them.

PS - please check your torque wrench is ACCURATE before using it - better tool shops will have a tester in house - in Jhb, The Toolshop has one.

I got the Birzman Torque wrench, I hope it's fairly accurate. Especially with all the carbon :huh:

I got the Birzman Torque wrench, I hope it's fairly accurate. Especially with all the carbon :huh:

Check it.... sometimes they can be wildly out.... even ex factory.

I had a digital snap-on that drifted over time.... got to be out by about 50% - figured that out the hard way - stripped a cylinder head stud in an engine case..... lost about 40 hours of work that had to be repeated...

Said digital snap on died a horrible death.... and it's warrantee replacement was sold instantly...

Check it.... sometimes they can be wildly out.... even ex factory.

I had a digital snap-on that drifted over time.... got to be out by about 50% - figured that out the hard way - stripped a cylinder head stud in an engine case..... lost about 40 hours of work that had to be repeated...

Said digital snap on died a horrible death.... and it's warrantee replacement was sold instantly...

What's the best way to check it then, should I take it too a machine/ tool shop?

juts remember the setting stated are maximums, so most time not necessary to that tight, with carbon rather apply carbon paste and then you can tighten to a lower torque setting........

juts remember the setting stated are maximums, so most time not necessary to that tight, with carbon rather apply carbon paste and then you can tighten to a lower torque setting........

I read this the other day somewhere, thanks for the reminder :thumbup:

What's the best way to check it then, should I take it too a machine/ tool shop?

Phone around and find someone with a torque test machine - test it at about 3 different torques, as long as its within 5% you will be ok.

I also just bought me one of these from CWC, I hope its decent... It looks of fairly decent quality

Just make sure that their torque transducer is calibrated(with traceability) were you taking your wrench to be checked.Torgue tool in jhb one of the best.

I also just bought me one of these from CWC, I hope its decent... It looks of fairly decent quality

It's NOT a Norbar.... that's for sure.... should only last 1 lifetime of occasional use.... the Norbar should last at least 500 years...

It's NOT a Norbar.... that's for sure.... should only last 1 lifetime of occasional use.... the Norbar should last at least 500 years...

I'm sure that must cost a small fortune though. In saying that, in the box the Birzman wrench came in it says it was tested & calibrated. Let's hope it wasn't tested on a Monday or Friday :eek: