9 spd conversion

TheNewGuy

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been reading through this thread & even though there is an influx of useful information, it all seems like a helluva lot of work for 1 extra gear.....

I would imagine if I were going up a big hill on a single speed that there might be a moment where an extra gear could come in handy but you have 27 already.......a little bit of extra time in the saddle might solve this whole debacle?? maybe?? #justsaying :whistling:

Dude, again.... I want to need that extra gear. Im all alone on my expeditions. the toppie i normally ride with usually wakes up at the crack of noon and we dont do any night rides anymore. Help me with any suggestions...

Dude, again.... I want to need that extra gear. Im all alone on my expeditions. the toppie i normally ride with usually wakes up at the crack of noon and we dont do any night rides anymore. Help me with any suggestions...

Well then based on your post above I see reasoning behind your quest for an extra gear but still not the necessity??

U say that you ride with an old toppie, does he have 10 gears perhaps & you battle to keep up??

or maybe he just rides well and has years of experience & 10 gears...

Jokes aside....I think try the derailleur you have but just test it first with a borrowed shifter or 10 spd bike to make sure it will travel far enough up & down & if it works then 10 spd cassette, 10 spd chain, 10 spd shifter & bob's your aunty??

Edited by gasworx

Well then based on your post above I see reasoning behind your quest for an extra gear but still not the necessity??

U say that you ride with an old toppie, does he have 10 gears perhaps & you battle to keep up??

Jokes aside....I think try the derailleur you have but just test it first with a borrowed shifter or 10 spd bike to make sure it will travel far enough up & down & if it works then 10 spd cassette, 10 spd chain, 10 spd shifter & bob's your aunty??

The K*K is i need that gear coz the toppies cycle speed never really goes above 15km/h... :whistling: We tend to stop for smoke breaks every 30min (7km to be precise)

Also I have Faith in my cycle shop owner. If one hand washes the other then both hands are clean.......

I tell you what, I have a 9 speed derailleur and a 10 speed shifter lying around (both Shimano MTB). I can set up a test rig of sorts and do the testing for you.

Documented as well if you like

Guest Smimby

FFS, the geometry of the parrallelogram affects how much it moves sideways based on the amount of cable being pulled.

Shimano changed this geometry when going to 10 speed MTB, which they have never done before.

Hmm. It worked for me. Hence the question.

The der moved as much as needed.

Hmm. It worked for me. Hence the question.

The der moved as much as needed.

Really? Hasn't for me.

Just to confirm, yours was on a road or MTB setup?

I have gotten a SRAM X 9 speed shifter and a Shimano SLX 10 speed derailleur to work together perfectly.

i think gas bag has a point. A couple of squats each morning or a run around the old block and you will be sorted.

Or trade your riding buddy in for one that will challenge you more and hence make you stronger.

i think gas bag has a point. A couple of squats each morning or a run around the old block and you will be sorted.

Or trade your riding buddy in for one that will challenge you more and hence make you stronger.

My toppie tried a free membership at my gym years ago, so squats is out of the question. He did as a matter of fact get a trackie and rode it from his house to gym (twice) its just around the block.

I know this is quite far down the line here now, but i don't really see the point of converting from 9spd mtb to 10spd just for the hell of it.

If your drivetrain is at end of life and you need to spend the cash, then it's worth considering.

I'm a bit old school, happy to stick with stuff that works. my fixie and mtb ss keep me honest. Road bike is a 3 x 8 drivetrain - yup even has a granny gear, but it's not like i'm riding league so it does the trick fine.

my race mtb is 3 x 9 drivetrain. With an 11-34 cassette and 22 chainring you can tackle anything. The other major bonus is cost. if i look at cassettes on CRC right now,

SRAM PG970 9 spd is R332

PG 1070 10spd is R746

Against the laws of velo, the first option is probably cheaper, lighter AND stronger.

• 2 weeks later...

By the bedpan of Gene Rayburn... Still no progress as i'm awaiting "said" parts as promised. As soon as they do get to the shop ill do the conversion just for the hell of it. Haters gonna hate .YOLO (douche translation).

I've been reading through this thread & even though there is an influx of useful information, it all seems like a helluva lot of work for 1 extra gear.....

I would imagine if I were going up a big hill on a single speed that there might be a moment where an extra gear could come in handy but you have 27 already.......a little bit of extra time in the saddle might solve this whole debacle?? maybe?? #justsaying :whistling:

I call Bull .... everyone who has ridden a SS know you have three gears, standing, sitting and walking.

By the bedpan of Gene Rayburn... Still no progress as i'm awaiting "said" parts as promised. As soon as they do get to the shop ill do the conversion just for the hell of it. Haters gonna hate .YOLO (douche translation).

What parts are you missing? Shifters? I have a set of 10 speed Deore shifters (right shifter only got used once before I got an XTR, left unused)

What parts are you missing? Shifters? I have a set of 10 speed Deore shifters (right shifter only got used once before I got an XTR, left unused)

10 speed shifter