This thing called cramping...

Had Cramps a couple a weeks ago about 27km in and i would normally ride about 40km twice a week. its mainly coz i cycled on the other side of the river and when riding at home, its so flat you can see your mother in law coming a week ahead

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In front on top of the knee (quadriceps) or behind the knee (calf / hamstring)

Both legs or only one leg?

Both of the quads.

Hey Batty....have the Retul bike setup with Koos at Cyclelab Fourways or Ergofit from Jeroen Swarts

Do some high intensity intervals (HIIT), Hill Attacks and up the tempo on LSD or join a club/group and try graduate through the groups as your pace increases ALSO taper the week leading to race day

Schweet! I'll give Arran at Cycle Fit a call again, since he originally fitted me. I'll see what he says, but I doubt it's bike setup...

You should not do any static stretching at all before training or racing. You can do dynamic stretches but they are kinda hard to do esp just before a race. Safest just to do a short ride with a few short sprints. Stretch AFTERWARDS.

I got cramps in my calves at the Tour de stellenbosch and The Argus this year, both at the 15km mark. I did manage it though, but its weird as my training buddies have all cramped during training, as in stop pedalling cramps and I for some reason didnt, however come race day they arrive. I just welcomed them, laughed and kept going. Eish

Edited by Winstonian1984

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe not eating enough? I pre-hydrate (like you do), have a banana / bar before the race, eat something at 45min, 1:30 and 2:30-ish. Argus was Banana before start, bar at 45min, bar at 1:30, banana somewhere between chappies and suikerbossie, and that was it. I rode on one bottle of 32Gi (well, still had left over), and emptied my water bottle going through Hout Bay (to reduce weight for the climb up suikerbossie).

Tank was empty after chasing down suikerbossie, but that is due to training (or the lack thereof).

But definitely look at your frame size first. I tried riding my wife's bike while waiting for my replacement frame, and it killed me.

If you really want a product that will assist with cramping the new 32Gi TruMag is brilliant, its received a US patent and works very well, tested for 2 years with elite athletes in the US and locally.

To really reduce the risk of cramping though, proper training is in order because the main reason for onset is lack of dominant muscle to intensity over distance :-)

@Batty Boy

Have you tried anything yet? I have a cramp problem too and it always happens around 90km.

For the Argus I was hoping the biogen cramp prevent would help but it still happened. I had the electrolyte fizz bottle and another one with carbs. 4 gels and a banana. The cramp happened after taking all that.

In my case it's always the same muscles my "upper inner leg muscles" not sure what they're called but from the groin down to the knee. Maybe I'll do some strength training on those muscles too?

Also my salt intake is probably a concern too.

Another thing is that my longest ride was the Argus :)... but I'm only riding for almost a year now (mostly commuting 60km x 3 times a week)

Thanks for all the input guys, I will test every possible thing and hopefully that will be the end of my cramps!! :clap:

My physio told me the other day, "Joel, if you're cramping, you're unfit."

Love the brutal honesty there. Lol.

Sometimes the harsh advice is the best advice .... ;)

My physio told me the other day, "Joel, if you're cramping, you're unfit."

Love the brutal honesty there. Lol.

That's not true tell your physio to read the scientific literature. There are many reasons for cramping.