This thing called cramping...

Cramps are mostly caused by exceeding the body's limits - either through redlining beyond what training required and, FATIQUE from under resting or sleep debt.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear bud. I used to suffer the same as you. Here are my thoughts:

• Starting at too high intensity (different from training) leads to lactic acid starting to build up earlier. Tough to start slow as you lose your group, and since it's not possible to warm up before the Argus, I'm not sure how to solve this problem.
  • Drinking: Possibly too much water dilutes the electrolytes in your system. Consider adding some rehydrate to your water.
  • Magnesium: Take with calcium at night for better absorption
  • Bike: you should probably ride a large but other factors will affect this. Spend the money (less than a grand) on a professional fitting (i.e. not a standard bike shop one). Don't know who does this in Gauteng but fellow hubbers will.
  • As above, add intervals to your training rides. It's the only way to condition your muscles for races with their on-off pace.

Good luck!

a short but interesting article on the matter. In brief, it suggests that improved training is what will get you into a cramp free situation, and that electrolyte imbalances, while cured by supplementation in other activities, 'might not' be the cause in sports like cycling. But it's not definitely proven, or disproven for that matter.

Anyone know what Joe Friel has to say on the matter?

edit: found something, but again inconclusive/ verge of calling electrolyte imbalance as bunk where it pertains to cycling. That is, lack of salt does cause cramps, more specifically what they refer to as whole body cramps. They say it does not explain localized cramps. What is also not clear is whether salt uptake can provide relief from cramps when they occur. I got the salt thing from teh fact that most of the stuff ppl have taken to treat cramps mid-race, contain higher amounts of salt than any other electrolyte supplement normally taken or added to drinks for their race mix.

This article highlights the 'latest' theory on the matter of sports related, and it comes down to simple fatigue and more importantly, the position a muscle is kept in.

its detailed, but muscle through. :)

Edited by Capricorn

I try steer away from salt. Actually, come to think of it, I hardly consume it. That's an interesting pointer.

When you say increase salt intake, I gather you mean magnesium tablets etc? I did take a 6 or so of them 2 days leading up to the Argus. Hell, I even chowed a Rennies every 20 minutes of the race.

Which muscle(s) cramp, is it always the same one(s)?

As Dale said, cramps are mostly the bodies way of protecting itself i.e. to stop / slow you down when you doing more than what your body can do.

Does not sound like you have a magnesium deficiency, which is slightly different to a sodium (salt) deficiency. But if you are drinking typical sports drinks during activity then salt deficiency is also unlikely. I sweat a lot (more than average), never add salt to my food and have only cramped once or twice in over 20 years of cycling / sport - every time it was when I was racing and pushing my limits for an extended period.

Look at strengthen the affected muscles and stretching them regularly. If you feel a cramp coming on while riding try stretch the muscle straight away.

Did my third Argus this year, and the first one without cramps.

I've found that the energy gels seem to make my cramps worse. Also found that standing for short sections of climbs, especially when you feel the cramp coming on, seems to make a difference. Helped me get over Chappies and Suikerbossie.

Question - what is your diet like? Might sound like an arb question, BUT, I can't do any type of Gel's (GU, etc) on a ride because I cramp horribly a few minutes afterwards and almost can't even pedal anymore.

I now make my own energy 'bars' and ride like a machine... well, I try.

It also has a lot to do with sleep and how your body feels on race day (and what you have put in leading up to race day).

Question - what is your diet like? Might sound like an arb question, BUT, I can't do any type of Gel's (GU, etc) on a ride because I cramp horribly a few minutes afterwards and almost can't even pedal anymore.

Serious? I drink 32Gi the whole way through, two bananas and maybe a chewie of some sort.

Check your bike set-up and have it professionally done, if you haven't.

Have already. Those awesome guys at Cycle Fit sorted me out. Its that large "M" sticker on my frame that bugs me. Like I said, I'm over 1.8m.

Bottom line, take it from someone that is now K@K sleg. you cramp because you go too hard.

If you do not force the pace during training all you will do is get good at going slow. (That is where I am now) Then in a race you give it horns to stay with the bunch and 70-90km later you pay for it.

Simple!

Go check what your ave HR was during the race compared to what it is during training. you will be quite surprised.

Have already. Those awesome guys at Cycle Fit sorted me out. Its that large "M" sticker on my frame that bugs me. Like I said, I'm over 1.8m.

That 'M' thing could be your problem... you should be on at least a 'L', or potentially XL. I'm 1.95m and ride a 58cm frame (XL).

Serious? I drink 32Gi the whole way through, two bananas and maybe a chewie of some sort.

Maybe not eating enough? I pre-hydrate (like you do), have a banana / bar before the race, eat something at 45min, 1:30 and 2:30-ish. Argus was Banana before start, bar at 45min, bar at 1:30, banana somewhere between chappies and suikerbossie, and that was it. I rode on one bottle of 32Gi (well, still had left over), and emptied my water bottle going through Hout Bay (to reduce weight for the climb up suikerbossie).

Tank was empty after chasing down suikerbossie, but that is due to training (or the lack thereof).

But definitely look at your frame size first. I tried riding my wife's bike while waiting for my replacement frame, and it killed me.

I find that a routine is key. Same time every day. You say that it sets in around the 80-90km mark. Maybe you shold take care of it straight after that ample breakfast you were talking about. This way you shouldn't feel another one coming until the next morning, or worst case, that evening.

EDIT: oh... you said cramp.

Edited by patches

I cramped for many years whilst cycling,always around the 60 km mark and tried everything to try help it.Two years ago I discovered that Lipitor that is used for cholestrol problems had this side affect.I changed to Cresto and now very rarely cramp.

I must say though that I cramped the worst of my life doing the ARGUS this year.This was because I had not been able to train properly,so my own fault.

My legs are still so sore I can barely walk.

I agree with you. I have posted this before https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/132376-statins-and-cramps/ and there is some good info. I'm now off Lipitor and don't take any cholesterol medication.