Hakahana Enduro

HAKAHANA TRAILS

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First time there. Went up to the top of SP1 and had a load of fun on the way down. Only saw two other guys on the ride. Found the wall drop, and roll over the big rock, but where are the jumps?

What time were you there?

We were waiting around for you to arrive at 8am, but left.

For the wooden jump you should have done SP2.

There is also a small gap on SP1 after you went through the house.

Well her 'slow on flats' is then still better than Mr. NoFearNoFun....great going Mrs. Slick  :thumbup:

:P (just teasing Leslie) 

Looking at the "rankings" and reading your first post I thought the second lady you were referring to was Patches :whistling:

I am pretty sure you would beat me to the bottom in a run :mellow:

I have developed a knee problem where I get this intense burning pain in my left knee when I ride trails with allot of rocks, berms and G-outs. I had to stop four times on SP3 yesterday to allow my knee to ease up before carrying on. I started at the same time as everyone in our group and still got to the bottom in front of three capable riders (one being Maureen). for some reason my time was slower than theirs even though we all started at the same time :ph34r:

That being said I'm only 2 minutes slower than the leading lady, not bad with 4 to 5 minutes of crying like a girl resting during the run :whistling:

Repost of pictures for some who missed them earlier in the thread. There are even videos throughout :ph34r:

Death Valley Drop: drop off a stone wall down a metre onto a bit of a landing.

Not for the feint hearted.

Under construction:

http://photos-e.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xfp1/10549759_837634226269268_1129887914_n.jpg

http://photos-b.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xfp1/10375875_279615592212081_1467446639_n.jpg

http://photos-e.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xfa1/10576160_729872503715084_1923073341_n.jpg

There is a berm to catch you after DVD...

http://photos-b.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xpa1/925321_290417451144265_149544157_n.jpg

Smashing Pumpkins:

Yep, we just smashed all those babyheads straight down off the rock drop. Leads into two smallish rock dropoffs.

http://photos-b.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xpf1/1169729_938553206160809_731021957_n.jpg

http://photos-a.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xaf1/10576065_550628568393160_2074651767_n.jpg

ACDC: a small rock drop followed by a natural rock gap jump. The name hints at the many other lines which aren't straight through this scattering of rocks. https://cdn.bikehub.co.za/forum/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/biggrin.png

http://photos-e.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xap1/10561191_804520836246316_1112923530_n.jpg

Murray's #$%&ing Nutcracker (you would understand if you saw the vid https://cdn.bikehub.co.za/forum/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/laugh.png )

Small gap over a trench. Little bit of a hip to it.

http://photos-e.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xpf1/10549922_308839689298828_232563318_n.jpg

Disclaimer: all obstacles have easy lines around them. Hit them at your own risk. You sign the indemnity at the trail head.

You almost have to pace yourself on SP1. Try and save energy through the tech rocky stuff in the first half so you can enjoy and carry speed through the features at the bottom. Still a couple of B lines to finish off and adjust the berm at the bottom of the wall drop.

I kind of like the berm after the wall drop like it is.

Obviously it could be way bigger to make it easier/safer for everyone to hit it at speed but the way it is now you need to commit and hope that it catches you, scary but fun.

Obviously it could be way bigger to make it easier/safer for everyone to hit it at speed but the way it is now you need to commit and hope that it catches you, scary but fun.

Exactly :clap:

The idea was to just build up the entry a bit for the initial catch. May not even get to that this month as the completion of the other lines is priority. It is also pretty damn difficult to find donor sand anywhere around there.

I agree with you, two wheel drifting into that berm is SUPER fun! But... It does soak up all the momentum you have gained after the drop though...

Looking at the "rankings" and reading your first post I thought the second lady you were referring to was Patches :whistling:

I am pretty sure you would beat me to the bottom in a run :mellow:

I have developed a knee problem where I get this intense burning pain in my left knee when I ride trails with allot of rocks, berms and G-outs. I had to stop four times on SP3 yesterday to allow my knee to ease up before carrying on. I started at the same time as everyone in our group and still got to the bottom in front of three capable riders (one being Maureen). for some reason my time was slower than theirs even though we all started at the same time :ph34r:

That being said I'm only 2 minutes slower than the leading lady, not bad with 4 to 5 minutes of crying like a girl resting during the run :whistling:

Regarding the knee pain...maybe so some of that fancy taping the physio's do where they 'lift the knee cap'. My physio did some special way of cutting her tape and sticked 2 pieces differently cut and I was REALLY surprised how that took the pain away when I was walking and riding. When I took it off after 1 week (because I had no pain) I could actually feel the pain again when riding so I was sad I took it off. (try it!)

We also stopped a couple of times and had some "oh boy that was dangerous' chats. Also there was one section where I ran into a dead end and saw the turn was leftish over rocks so turned around to go over there. (I assume that will be marked or changed for the race. I dont know if this is the section where Slick refered to a fallen tree)

Pics? Videos of the stages??

Nigel It seems all were too busy riding or working, or holding onto their peppercorns to take any pics. But this week the new SP2 and SP3 will be cleaned up so that'll only make better footage on the weekend..

Hey guys,

I am super excited to come and ride the #Enduro at the end of the month, but...

...is it going to kill me?

I am going to be on a new bike with a very weak shoulder. In fact, this might be my first ride after the AC Separation. How are the B lines looking?

Hey guys,

I am going to be on a new bike with a very weak shoulder. In fact, this might be my first ride after the AC Separation. How are the B lines looking?

I rode the lines on a loan trance a few weeks ago without having time before to settle in on the trance.

If you just take it easy on your shoulder and take a B line or two you will be good.

Hey guys,

SP 1 - The top section is pretty rocky, but you can take it nice and slow. The wall drop pictured above is pretty smooth. And the majority of the trail is nice and flowy

SP 2 - I'd avoid the road gap. It can be a harsh landing. I can't comment on the top section because most of it will change.

SP 3 - At the moment, ths is probably going to affect your shoulder the most. Bailing on SP 3 even more so. So maybe take it easy on there.

I hope there are B-lines around that drop and the rock in the pictures ... as you dont want to scare okes away after just one Gauteng Enduro Event ....

REMEMBER - 50% of the riders who will enter probably CANT jump! ... And a drop off as large as DVD is exceptionally intimidating - Especially seeing as the landing does not evtend right up to the wall face itself! 

See Nolipoli's comment here

nolipoli, on 03 Nov 2014 - 7:36 PM, said:

snapback.png

Hey guys,

Johann .... a word of advice from a safety aspect - especially for DVD ... maybe think of installing a wooden landing zone between the wall and the edge of the landing as per my attached image from a trail in France ... this allows the rider to still get air, but they can also just roll off it ... drop me a mail if you want to discuss any ideas

I always try and keep the number of "double" jumps to ZERO as these have the potential to cause some BIG injuries if guys get them wrong. Just by getting a pallet and securing it to the wall this would make it a LOT more rider friendly ...

Also keep the rock roll thing as is - but make sure you have a B-line around it as it may be intimidating for someone doing their first enduro.

The wooden road gap jump you have on SP2??? I think is fine as long as you can ride next to it and just drop off the bank.

--------

post-16861-0-11865800-1415088210_thumb.jpg

I hope there are B-lines around that drop and the rock in the pictures ... as you dont want to scare okes away after just one Gauteng Enduro Event ....

See Nolipoli's comment here

nolipoli, on 03 Nov 2014 - 7:36 PM, said:

snapback.png

Johann .... a word of advice from a safety aspect - especially for DVD ... maybe think of installing a wooden landing zone between the wall and the edge of the landing as per my attached image from a trail in France ... this allows the rider to still get air, but they can also just roll off it ... drop me a mail if you want to discuss any ideas

I always try and keep the number of "double" jumps to ZERO as these have the potential to cause some BIG injuries if guys get them wrong. Just by getting a pallet and securing it to the wall this would make it a LOT more rider friendly ...

Also keep the rock roll thing as is - but make sure you have a B-line around it as it may be intimidating for someone doing their first enduro.

The wooden road gap jump you have on SP2??? I think is fine as long as you can ride next to it and just drop off the bank.

--------

There is a B-line around the DV drop. It is significantly slower, so a true "B-line"... not like some B-Lines that are actually faster than the A-lines).

There is also a B-line around the road gap on SP2. In this case I think the current B-line is faster as one has to slow down for the gap or they launch into space. Johann did say this will be changed so that the B-line becomes slower.

There is a B-line around the DV drop. It is significantly slower, so a true "B-line"... not like some B-Lines that are actually faster than the A-lines).

There is also a B-line around the road gap on SP2. In this case I think the current B-line is faster as one has to slow down for the gap or they launch into space. Johann did say this will be changed so that the B-line becomes slower.

Ok but remember too that the B-lines need to be at MAXIMUM 3 to 5 seconds slower than the A-line - anymore and you will be promoting some riders to attempt stuff beyond their capabilities. ... I work on the following for KZNMTB Provincials and Nationals

DH - 2 to 3 seconds

Enduro - 3 to 5 seconds

XC - 10 seconds + as per Nicks guidelines.

Ok but remember too that the B-lines need to be at MAXIMUM 3 to 5 seconds slower than the A-line - anymore and you will be promoting some riders to attempt stuff beyond their capabilities. ... I work on the following for KZNMTB Provincials and Nationals

DH - 2 to 3 seconds

Enduro - 3 to 5 seconds

XC - 10 seconds + as per Nicks guidelines.

Good advice!

I think many riders (myself included) try stupid things when the clock is running.

Archived