Hakahana Enduro

HAKAHANA TRAILS

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to everyone for an awesome event! The trip was definitely worth while coming from KZN, you guys have some fun riding up there. Will definitely be back! Stoked to finish 3rd and looking forward to the next one! 

OhHHH NOOOOOO Manchild1 has Joined thehub heaven help us.

The grammar police on here are going to have a field day with him!!!

The grammar police on here are going to have a field day with him!!!

Bwahahaha hell yes. I can see a lot of Popcorn.

No ... as the Sub Vets are deemed to be "faster" than the vets as they are younger ... so Vets would move to Sub Vets and Sub Vets to Elite.

This then does not put the older category in a bind having to race against younger (stronger) riders.

I'll draw the diagram so that you can see it

haha. Taking the mickey. It is my opinion, that vets will be the pinnacle of any sport class. That is until i move to another category, masters for example, at which point it shall be my statement, ' Masters are the pinnacle' .

Elites are overrated anyway.

:ph34r:

My turn..

This Enduro thing is different.... Ever since putting out that post earlier this year, suggesting we move Hakahana towards an Enduro option, to which literally in minutes Nige replied with some staggering suggestions, and then Sean, Les, Nev and other Swampogs followed up, it was GAME ON. We spent weekends planning and scouting routes, mostly based on some existing lines but the focus changed... There was a new ethic. Guys prepared to dig sand and make things then enjoy the stuff they had just created. At first, and with a marathon background, I didn't get the format as I liked climbing, but after a few good downhill sessions it all came home. This was about the passion of the ride.  Finding that sweet line... and the social side. It fits the paradigm of a good day out with mates, BUT when it comes to pointing downhill, it's all out competition. Bloody fantastic!

Weekends here are now filled with tech talk, and chilled, generous peops thats are here to ride good stuff.

The event was a real test. Its only because this is such a cool and open community that we got the response we did. Local Brands like KITTED, LEATT, SHREDDTECH, IGNITE, TOOL-UP CYCLES, THE TRAILHEAD, GREEN XTREME all jumped in to showcase their awesome stuff and gave us prizes in return. SENTIENT SECURITY Provided all the comms (10 radios) as well as the waterpoints and manned security at venue, FREE of charge. DESTINATION GROUP (MEDICAL TEAM) Pulled out all the stops and gave us a massive discount for the full support team they provided. We got other prizes from SPECIALIZED, EVOC, MIKES BIKES, and HUSQAVANA donated a cutter. 

The whole thing came together more like an AfikaBurn free-economy model - Generosity and Fun being the essence....And special Thanks to the core team of organizers and timekeepers (Sean, Maureen, Nev, Les, Kath, Greg, Murray, Stephen, Tracy, Linda, Quinton & Marwaan) who gave up many weekends (and a ride on the day) to lay this on, and Ruan Lochner (Tool-up) who helped all over.

We will obviously address the issues of categories and try'n stay close to the UCI guidelines, but we don't plan lose the purity and joy of the ride anytime soon at Hakahana.

PRIZE-GIVING TO FOLLOW...

answer to some questions earlier....

1.  Although we are trying to involve some of the landowners we may have to get used to the fact that shuttling is not guaranteed.

2. So we hit target on first go.  :D No complaints this time from land owners.

3 Future events will be on Sundays to allow a practise day on Saturday., especially for the out-of-towners.

4. We will include categories next time, but limited.

5. Manual timing, until a proven elec system exists. (Was a huge mission for Les to supply and manage 3 generators allover the valley, especially that the system fell-over anyway.)

6. We will do proper briefing next time although there was no litter out there. Thanks!

7. There were no serious injuries. well done!! (except the timekeeper)

So if I know about a computer engineer and an electronic engineer that has their own company, how can we help developing a timimg system for enduro races?

HAKAHANA ENDURO-ONE PRIZE GIVING: (Or as Nev said "Our new patented online e-prizegiving")....Congrats to all winners and thanks to all the generous sponsors... be ideal if you could collect at Hakahana but otherwise we will send to you.

E-1 PRIZEGIVING.pdf

HAKAHANA ENDURO-ONE PRIZE GIVING: (Or as Nev said "Our new patented online e-prizegiving")....

Congrats to all winners and thanks to all the generous sponsors... be ideal if you could collect at Hakahana but otherwise we will send to you.

Can also be collected at The Trailhead.

Archived