Can someone please advise me ...

MickeyT

Hi All,

i am looking to buy a good used mountain bike for my wife, i thought around the R9K mark, what type of bike should i be looking at and possibly what components/groupset could i expect at this price.... :thumbup:

Hi Mickey

that all depends on her / your requirements and desires. how tall is she? as this will give you an idea at which frame size to be looking 26, 27.5 or 29.

do you want new or second hand?

brand specific or not?

Hardtail or full sus?

what type of riding will she be targeting?

for 9k you should be able to get a very nice second hand bike. Don't get caught up in the 29er hype:) just stay 26.....

Components - you should be able to get xt / xtr or sram..... i love sram...

Thanks guys, in terms of the questions my wife will probably be using the mtb for similar terrain to northern farms, maybe a 30-40km cycle on the weekend with a few road races thrown in, 94,7 and argus mainly for enjoyment and general fitness, so not too sure on hard tail or soft? No idea what we should be paying for a good used bike for approx. 9k. Not too sure on makes either...have ridden a Scott myself and enjoyed it?

If she is going to be doing road races with it, I'd definitely go for a hardtail. Assuming your wife isn't a giant, 26er would probably be the best fit for her and also represent the best value for money.

In that price range you should get Shimano ST (perhaps with some SLX) components.

Definitely HT if she is going to do road races. I myself use my HT for road races. As wez states, unless she is a extremely tall a 26'r should be fine. With a 9K budget if she goes 2nd hand and 26'r she could walk away with a very nice machine.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/81830-merida-matts-60d-custom/

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/82470-felt-26-inch-aluminium-mtb/

or she could buy something like this and use the extra cash to upgrade components such as brake or a proper bike fit or decent helmet etc etc

When does her length become an issue that dhe has to look for bigger wheels? My wife is 1.75m tall.

When does her length become an issue that dhe has to look for bigger wheels? My wife is 1.75m tall.

The general consensus is that riders under a certain height (I think it's 1.78 or so) are better suited to 26er / 650b rather than 29ers. There is not much point riding an extra small 29er is there?

The general consensus is that riders under a certain height (I think it's 1.78 or so) are better suited to 26er / 650b rather than 29ers. There is not much point riding an extra small 29er is there?

Ask the SingleSpeedGuy

i so don't agree with this size thing.. I'm 165cm and i ride a 29er. it is way faster for almost everything i do and gives me much more confidence than smaller wheels as it tractors over everything. yes you will probably get a better deal on a second hand 26er but don't listen to people who say anything about heights on bikes. if you can ride a 29er, stand over it comfortably and not have the handlebars 10ft above the saddle (like some people have to which is clearly ridiculous) then ride a bloody 29er because it is just better. definitely better in sa.

Your wife has an issue, she is too tall for a 26er.

The general consensus is that riders under a certain height (I think it's 1.78 or so) are better suited to 26er / 650b rather than 29ers.

Nope. 1.78 is not exactly short. 1.6 is but there are extra small frames available for shorter people.

There is not much point riding an extra small 29er is there?

I dont understand the question! :lol:

You will get same advantages as all the other 29ers.

Thanks guys, in terms of the questions my wife will probably be using the mtb for similar terrain to northern farms, maybe a 30-40km cycle on the weekend with a few road races thrown in, 94,7 and argus mainly for enjoyment and general fitness, so not too sure on hard tail or soft? No idea what we should be paying for a good used bike for approx. 9k. Not too sure on makes either...have ridden a Scott myself and enjoyed it?

A lot of speculation on what bike to get 26, 27.5 or 29er but no one knows how tall your wife is?

Look at either getting her a 650b - Merida has a good range, look at the Merida Big 7 - 300 - going for around R10 ... or the Merida Big 9 - 300 (29er) if she is fit that category.

I would stay away from dual sus in that price range, will be old and heavy unless you want to get her a Dunlop special from Macro, then it will be new and heavy :D

i would get her a 29er ... you can get her almost new 29er rear derailer xt crank shimano shifters deore brakes deore i think it will good for your pocket to maintain .it wont be costly to replace parts than going for a high spec bike.

From your description of the riding you are planning I would suggest a 29r. Unfortunately good deals are not easy to find. 29r's are good if you do the following.

• Endless hours of gravel road riding
  • not too technical singletrack - for beginners
  • riding on the road, as you can fit a normal wide 700c road/touring(28-35 depending on rim) tire on that mtb to make it roadworthy.

If she is short, 1.6m or less or have less than 2-3cm of stand over height over the top tube, then go 650b/26". Standover height is basically the length of your inseam. I am 1.90m tall and have an inseam of 86cm. My wife is 1.6m tall and has an inseam of 76cm. Measure it by standing barefoot with your back to the wall and legs together and take a stick/ruler and pull it up (horizontally for results :whistling: )between your legs till you basically "sit on it". Measure the height on the wall. This will be your inseam or your standover, unless you are wearing stillettos. Make sure you have at least 4 cm to spare on the top tube of the bike when standing over it. Most decent bike manufacturers will list this height under the geometry section. If they don't then try it in a shop or move on.

I have seen way to many women(fewer men) get all caught up in the 29r hype and forced on bikes that are to big for them, and thus not enjoyable or safe.

A comfortable ride is a great ride. It will keep her coming back for more.