Help - loose headset

El Scorcho

Hi guys,

Recently changed the bars and stem on my MTB - took it for a test ride today and something felt a little loose. When I got home I held the brakes and rocked the bike back and forth and noticed the headset moving a bit. So I tighten the bolt on the top cap, and try again, same thing. If I tighten this bolt any more I might strip it - any thoughts?

Something I can fix myself or does it need to go in to the LBS?

I have changed bars/stem on my other bike recently as well, I don't have a problem with that bike.

Thanks...

You are on the right track,but before you tighten the top cap bolt, loosen the stem bolts a bit, then tighten top cap bolt, and then tighten the stem bolts again. But careful when tightening the top cap bolt, you don't want to overtighten it.

1. Loosen the 2 bolts on the sides of stem before you tighten the top one. Then tighten the side bolts again.
  2. Also check if the steerer tube is not too long. When you take the top cap off, the steerer should be about 3 mm shorter. If not, try putting a spacer between the top of the stem and the top cap.

Sounds like the new stem clamp is not as deep as the old one. You may need an extra spacer or to trim the steerer.

Where would the extra spacer go? Above the stem?

Check on YouTube, there are a whole bunch of DIY movies on just this, and just about everything else!!

Did you remove any parts of the headset? Not sure if it applies to your but one on my GT has a plastic insert/wedge thing that needs to go in nice and square otherwise you cant get the 'looseness' of the headset out. I almost rock the front back and forth to get it in snug and then I can add the stem, press it down and tighten down the top.

It would be the part top right on the image.

post-12678-0-57349000-1394710729_thumb.jpg

Hmmm, thanks.

I guess I have a few things to try when I get home, I should be swapping out spacers this week anyway so I'll try the other suggestions as well.

I did loosen the stem completely before I tightened it - let me try putting a spacer above the stem.

be sure to clean out the bottom bearing - you may well have mud/grit in there too thats intrefering when you tighten the top cap. a good wipe of the cup and bearing with a regrease, re-fit, then tighten up the top cap, followed by the stem bolts.

You also need to make sure of two things 1. - is the star nut thing in the fork steerer tube firm and not slipping up when you tighten the top cap? and, 2- is there is room to pull the stem and headseat up tight? By this I mean that the steerer tube needs to end at least a few few mm below the top of the stem. If there is no gap there, the top cap tightening will achieve nothing. Add a spacer below the stem if you need to increase the steerer/stem clearance..

I've been doing some reading and I think I'm going to find that the distance between the top of the stem and the top of the steerer is not ideal. This is something I've never really looked at when adjusting.

I had exactly your problem when replacing a stem and handlebar. Turned out I needed a spacer, as my stem was slightly longer, on the steerer. A +-R45 fix.

Yep, as I suspected - the top cap was too close to the steerer - got some extra spacers (and advice) from DaddyG and it's all sorted.

Thanks to everyone that gave feedback!