Tokai MTB Club?

Pappa Bear

Hi Guys,

So what is happening with the newly formed Tokai MTB club?

Who has been allocated to which positions?

Club fee?

What do we get for joining the club - free entrance :whistling: ?

Some feedback woul be apprecaited!

Cheers!

Obviously a well kept secret.

No secret.... we had a AGM and all with over 60 people.............. unless I am the last one on the hit list :ph34r:

Guest Omega Man

No secret.... we had a AGM and all with over 60 people.............. unless I am the last one on the hit list :ph34r:

Hey guys. We are having our 2nd meeting this week. The 19th. I shouldn't really be posting about Tokai on here cos there is a PR person. We are busy establishing official communication channels but anyways here goes. As you know we chose the 5 member committee without portfolio. The individual portfolio's were decided at our first meeting.

The 5 Committee members are

DH Rep. Vince

XC Rep. Jason Lind

PR. Dan Dobinson

Sanparks Liaison. Deon

Treasurer. Duane (me)

We've been quiet for 2 reasons really.

1. We've met with an outside contractor with a view to getting them to take over the maintenance aspect of the existing trail network. That's all I'm prepared to say on the matter at this stage.

2. Argus. Both Dan and Jason earn their living within the cycling industry and Argus time is a major money spinner for them.

Expect announcements around trail maintenance, volunteer days, communication etc this week.

Cheers.

Duane out.

Hey guys. We are having our 2nd meeting this week. The 19th. I shouldn't really be posting about Tokai on here cos there is a PR person. We are busy establishing official communication channels but anyways here goes. As you know we chose the 5 member committee without portfolio. The individual portfolio's were decided at our first meeting.

The 5 Committee members are

DH Rep. Vince

XC Rep. Jason Lind

PR. Dan Dobinson

Sanparks Liaison. Deon

Treasurer. Duane (me)

We've been quiet for 2 reasons really.

1. We've met with an outside contractor with a view to getting them to take over the maintenance aspect of the existing trail network. That's all I'm prepared to say on the matter at this stage.

2. Argus. Both Dan and Jason earn their living within the cycling industry and Argus time is a major money spinner for them.

Expect announcements around trail maintenance, volunteer days, communication etc this week.

Cheers.

Duane out.

Thanks Duane!

Thanks Duane :thumbup:

Edit: I know it's a hijack, but I still want to know how you ended up riding the Argus, since you mentioned it. Lose a bet? What bike did you ride?

Edited by DJR

Guest Omega Man

Thanks Duane :thumbup:

Edit: I know it's a hijack, but I still want to know how you ended up riding the Argus, since you mentioned it. Lose a bet? What bike did you ride?

Haha.

No I'd never done it before and I figured I should do it at least once. I borrowed a roadie bike from Clint (Trail & Tar and gave it a go. My sighting lap around the block was the first time I've ever swung a leg over a road bike.

It was both fun and incredibly frustrating all at the same time. My body was fine but my my legs started cramping up towards Cape Point so I couldn't stand & crank. My arse was in agony by that point so I ended up sitting on the cross bar like a spaz for a lot of the time back towards the finish.

Anyways it's done now. I was super impressed with the event. I've obviously seen it from the outside many many times but being a part of it was pretty damn cool. If I do it again I'll do some training.

Edited by Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

So you gonna do some road riding in France this year...

Nope. But the road from Avoriaz down to Morzine is 11km and is the most amazing Alpine pass ever. There's also a little pub halfway down the hill which is somewhat convenient.

The Col de Joux Plane tops out between Les Gets and Morzine so there is some superb road riding to be had in the area. But I'm all about the trails.

Edited by Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

Hey guys.

Some notes from our meeting last night.

• Our 2nd meeting was held at the River Club last night.
  • Dan Dobinson has been elected as the chairman of the committee.
  • Though we've been quiet we have been constantly working and meeting behind the scenes. Specifically around the stuff mentions below.
  • Bennet Nel (Yes that's right!!) has been contracted on a monthly SLA basis. He will be spending 3 days a month up on the mountain buffing up the existing single tracks starting next month. He will be spending 6 days up there in April and from May onwards 3 days a month. Bennet is one of the most respected trail builders in SA and is the guy behind the fabulous trails in Jonkershoek. He has a team of 8 workers and those guys KNOW how to build trail.
  • We are busy with a Trail Vision document that we expect to be the basis of the new trails we are looking to build in the very near future in Tokai. No you can't see it yet.
  • We are not waiting for the EMP to be released before we work on the Trail Vision document. The timelines just don't allow for it.
  • We plan to finalize and ratify the document withing the next few weeks. We will then present it to the Table Mountain Bikers forum.
  • We then plan to present that document to you guys, the riders, in May. We need this to be a big meeting with loads and loads of riders cos we want Parks to know we are many. Please don't be apathetic about this. It's important.
  • If it's ratified by you guys we'll present to Parks.
  • Going forward any and all communication will be channeled through the TokaiMTB website. We will no longer communicate via social media as it can get messy very quickly as all of you know. If you have any comments/complaints about the trails or security threats there will be a mail address you can mail. The website should be fully functional within the next 2 weeks.
  • We are having a build day on Saturday the 5th of April. Please join us for the build day. We are going to do the divert on Vasbyt where the XC trail and DH trail intersect. 9am at the parking lot. If you come later that's fine. please pull in. We wanted to have the build after Bennet's 6 days on the hill but the timing hasn't worked out like that.
  • And last but by no means least. Please do NOT build illegal trails. This hurts our credibility with Parks as they can easily turn around and question our ability to control the group we purport to represent.