Eating patterns when training and not training.

I have noticed over the past few weeks that on days that I train, I tend to eat less than on days that I dont train. Before cycling, I used to do more strength training than cardiovascular work and I managed to eat similar amounts whether it was training days or not.

This is my first real leap into any endurance sport and wonder if anyone else has experienced this? is it a response to a higher cardio workload?

Dear Winstonian1984,

I would not sweat the fact that you not as hungry and eating less. However if it impacts on your recovery and performance i would address this.

As you know strength training wise, correct eating is vital to make steady gains in lean muscle tissue and strength gain. The same applies to cycling as well, to be honest, but here your goals are obviously different, and well, seen as you on the bike for x amount of time, maybe start here - take some snack on the bike.

Recovery after training always important, so address this according to your goals and make sure the quality of foods are nice and proper.

Alternatively pop in at a good sports nutritionist, that can customize a nice plan for you.

I will continue to monitor it, as it hasn't affected my training. In all honesty I actually feel like my fitness level and strength is increasing. Maybe its the excess eating on non training days that is causing a positive effect on my training. Went away for this weekend, ate enough for an army and then went for a 50km cycle that I do often. It was much easier and beat my PB time for that route by almost a minute.

Maybe I should just keep doing what I'm doing and see how my body adapts.

I monitor my calorie expenditure quite carefully, as I don't want to lose too much weight.

I weigh 82kg's and an average weekday ride burns about 1200kCal, according to my Polar HRM.

Weekend rides burn 2,000-2,500kCal, as they involve lots of climbing.

1200kCal is about ONE THIRD of a kilogram of woolworths muesli, which is what I have handy to stuff my face with at work. Honestly, who the HELL can eat 350grams of muesli just to replace what an average ride took out?

I know the weight weenies LOVE looking like they escaped from a refugee camp but I like a bit of meat on my bones. I definitely don't want to lose muscle mass...

The question is thus what to eat and/or supplement in order to maintain weight / health / recovery. I have searched the internet but no-one seems to focus on nutrition, only training.

The predominant view appears to be to get as skinny as possible but that cannot be healthy, can it?

W - keep going as you are, the reason you feel stronger is glycogen in the system, from eating, and having as backup (fuel).

Nonky - get in contact with someone that can work something custom for you or alternatively PM me and i will send you some pointers - i dont wana high jack Wistonian`s topic here. :)

W - keep going as you are, the reason you feel stronger is glycogen in the system, from eating, and having as backup (fuel).

Nonky - get in contact with someone that can work something custom for you or alternatively PM me and i will send you some pointers - i dont wana high jack Wistonian`s topic here. :)

Its ok, go ahead and hijack if its goingto help the next person :thumbup:

I know the weight weenies LOVE looking like they escaped from a refugee camp but I like a bit of meat on my bones. I definitely don't want to lose muscle mass...

The question is thus what to eat and/or supplement in order to maintain weight / health / recovery. I have searched the internet but no-one seems to focus on nutrition, only training.

The predominant view appears to be to get as skinny as possible but that cannot be healthy, can it?

having been a weightlifting junkie for years, I realised that feeling good and healthy is way more valuable to myself than a good looking physique. I dont advocate getting as skinny as possible,but rather as healthy as possible. Some are genetically blessed with good physiques and others not.

My personal approach is that I will do exercise that will be functionally useful in my life and the sports I do.