Roadie looking for fun Mtb - please help

Pure Savage

Hi all,

I am wanting to go off road a little, mainly just want to go up to block house in Cape Town.

I have no clue when it comes to Mtb parts esp shocks. I know Xt>SLX>Deore

I ideally want to spend around 5K max. I dont want to do cape epic marathons and I dont want to fly down hill just yet.

I would like a 1x9 speed (thought single speed but chickened out), hard tail with either air shock or rigid front, tubeless and disc brakes.

Everything else I can do without. Any suggestions? I have looked in classified but am not really sure what to look for.

Thanks in advance.

5k will give you a very basic entry level bike. Think toro (reciol) spring shocks or even branded shock, alvio shifters and maybe mechanical disc brakes. Non name cranks and wheels

Second hand may be the way to go, then you can get maybe a deore groupset with atoro air front shock and hydro brakes.

Make a turn in the classifieds or LBS.

5k will give you a very basic entry level bike. Think toro (reciol) spring shocks or even branded shock, alvio shifters and maybe mechanical disc brakes. Non name cranks and wheels

Second hand may be the way to go, then you can get maybe a deore groupset with atoro air front shock and hydro brakes.

Make a turn in the classifieds or LBS.

Thanks for info, will have to be second hand. I just dont know which models are air shocks. Makes it tricky when looking at classifieds, cause I dont know which shocks are air.

Cheapest new bike with an air fork that I could find was the Momsen AL651 Air (~R7200):

- 650b

- Suntour XCR air fork

- Tektro hydraulic brakes

- Acera/SLX groupset

If 5k is your budget then you have to go second hand.

Cheapest new bike with an air fork that I could find was the Momsen AL651 Air (~R7200):

- 650b

- Suntour XCR air fork

- Tektro hydraulic brakes

- Acera/SLX groupset

If 5k is your budget then you have to go second hand.

I was wanting to go second hand, just not clued up on the specs of forks and rims etc. So if the Ad does not state air fork or Coil I have no idea to tell.

The scott scale looks the part.

The Scott trumps them so far. Seriously good value with all the extras he is throwing in. Surprised that has not been sold yet....