Jock Cycle Race 2014

Express

Ok last week. So who braved the winter training and hectic entry fee and will be there?

Also had a slump in training, don't talk about the entry fee!!! Will be there!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also had a slump in training, don't talk about the entry fee!!! Will be there!!

In the same boat as you. Last week not good with a head cold but will be there!

Starting to get nervous. Will be my first..... Think the guys are going to blast up those climbs, especially out the gate on stage 3..... yikes.

Starting to get nervous. Will be my first..... Think the guys are going to blast up those climbs, especially out the gate on stage 3..... yikes.

Apart from the racing snakes, the rest of us will have Spitskop and the other climbs in our legs, so the St. 3 start is quite sedated. The real fun starts about halfway up the climb :-)

I have done it 5 times....pitty they don't issue the old medals anymore - Jock mounted on a wooden base....but then again, I had my brother-in-law, after he saw my medals, ask me if I won them in a dog competition!

If you want to test your readiness for the Jock hill climbs, a good litmus test is to do the Suikerbosrand 60km circuit twice....if you can still walk after that....then you are good to go :)

I'll be doing my 3rd Jock and feel the fitness is all right, but it's all relative as I'm not a racing snake and just enjoy the ride and the vibe - the Jock is the closest a road race gets to a MTB race for me. I'm not the world's best climber, but have managed it with a 53/39 and 25/11 before (and will be doing the same this year!), so a 28 on the back should be fine.

Heard 53/39 - 28/11 can work?

That could work. You also need to remember that you are doing +- 160km...so you will need to pace yourself. Use the flat or easier sections to recover. Tempratures can rise in the afternoon so you could be dealing with heat as well during the last stage.

That could work. You also need to remember that you are doing +- 160km...so you will need to pace yourself. Use the flat or easier sections to recover. Tempratures can rise in the afternoon so you could be dealing with heat as well during the last stage.

Thanks, done a few DCs so should be ok....

Thanks, done a few DCs so should be ok....

Yep, then you are good to go. I hope you have a good one., and enjoy

Well i'm doing it for the first time. I'm small built and love uphills, but decided to prepare myself with 50/42 and 11/28. Next year i'll know what to expect.

Well i'm doing it for the first time. I'm small built and love uphills, but decided to prepare myself with 50/42 and 11/28. Next year i'll know what to expect.

42x28 will be more than adequate