Jock Cycle Race 2014

Express

just wondering about that

no sms received, will collect race numbers today

I did it on 39/53 and a 11/25 last year

This year I have just got lighter wheels and an 11/28 on the back, if its good enough for a dbl loop of SBR I reckon it will do for longtom

Been doing a lot of training in the hills & lots of track training, last week my threshold test worked out to 4.0 w/kg, so guess I am as ready as I will ever be

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just wondering about that

no sms received, will collect race numbers today

I did it on 39/53 and a 11/25 last year

This year I have just got lighter wheels and an 11/28 on the back, if its good enough for a dbl loop of SBR I reckon it will do for longtom

Been doing a lot of training in the hills & lots of track training, last week my threshold test worked out to 4.0 w/kg, so guess I am as ready as I will ever be

Hope we are in AL Rasta, so I can wheelsuck!! See u on Saturday!!

All the best to those doing the Jock Cycle race. Hope you all have a good race. .....become addicted to pain :)

BTW, you are not a cyclist until you have done the Jock Cycle race. ;)

Was good. I was supposed to start with the VA group, but there was only like 20 guys and they looked SUPER strong. With it being my first VA I wasn't keen to get dropped and solo the whole bloody thing, so I dropped back to AL hoping to find bunches....... only to end up TTing on my own most of the way anyway (so I might as well have stayed :) ). AL kept splitting with about 20 guys off the front. Overall results not up yet, but looks like a top20 AL, happy with that. As it was my first time riding in AL too. Was a good ride, but jeez man, those roads!! The kek road surface starting stage 2.... and head wind after Spitskop (solo remember) meant it was by far the hardest stage for me. Longtom is lekker, just rode up on my own pace, enjoyed it. Will definitely do the ride again.

Was good. I was supposed to start with the VA group, but there was only like 20 guys and they looked SUPER strong. With it being my first VA I wasn't keen to get dropped and solo the whole bloody thing, so I dropped back to AL hoping to find bunches....... only to end up TTing on my own most of the way anyway (so I might as well have stayed :) ). AL kept splitting with about 20 guys off the front. Overall results not up yet, but looks like a top20 AL, happy with that. As it was my first time riding in AL too. Was a good ride, but jeez man, those roads!! The kek road surface starting stage 2.... and head wind after Spitskop (solo remember) meant it was by far the hardest stage for me. Longtom is lekker, just rode up on my own pace, enjoyed it. Will definitely do the ride again.

Hey Patch. Was also in AL. Saw 2 VA riders in our bunch, one being in the Blue/White Northcliff kit. Was a good ride.

I had a super nice race, apart from have a puncture on the Brondal road whilst I was pulling the break - lost 8 min :-(

Was actually expecting the AL bunch to be much stronger than what they were. I would guess winter is playing havoc with everyone' training.

So how did you guys enjoy the day?

Great race day, but registration was a challenge.

Was seeded in DL and after complaining mildly, I got (deservedly) bumped to AL. Then got a XXL shirt - complained bitterly, and they magically found my size.

Oh, and was not impressed by the road surface on the Brondal section!!

Hey Patch. Was also in AL. Saw 2 VA riders in our bunch, one being in the Blue/White Northcliff kit. Was a good ride.

I had a super nice race, apart from have a puncture on the Brondal road whilst I was pulling the break - lost 8 min :-(

Was actually expecting the AL bunch to be much stronger than what they were. I would guess winter is playing havoc with everyone' training.

I think the guy in Blue also punctured. Were you in black Spez clothing (only other puntuce I remember seeing from our group)? Road was so bumpy one of the Lab guys GPS broke right out of its mount. Edit: The guy in the Livestrong kit punctured too I think, but that's faulty for wearing that :)

Edited by Patchelicious

Nope, I was in a Complete Cyclist bib with a White Nalini top and black nalini Windjammer.

Bike a Black/White/Blue Giant TCR Adv ISP.

Changes to a Red/White/Black nalini top for St 2.

I was in AL as well am the road surface was shocking, I hit a pothole on the decent after 22km which punctured the front and back wheels. Damaged my back rim but I could finish the first stage. Did some repairs at the stop and continued from there. I was personally disappointed with the organisation of the event.

ASG Sports managed to lower the standard even further. That food they served for lunch was really poor, not that I was in the mood to eat.

We paid for two Spectator packages in the luxury bus at R400 a pop, as you all saw it was a taxi and the drivers were not briefed on what was expected from them.

In my opinion ASG Sports needs to get their act together if they want to charge the premium R750 for the event.

ASG Sports is not helping the Bestmed brand either.

Was in Al were in both break aways in the first and section stage was tough as nails

Tried to hang on to the guy in the livestring and ocean basket kit but they were just to light for me, dropping me on the hills on both stages. Luckily for me Underachiever & Braam was there to pick me up on both ocasions and helped me up those hills.

Third stage took it easy and was not gonna go for the break, but half way up longtom I looked around and no one was left excepts the 6 of us in the front. Did not even try any of the food as I knew it was Hostel food, so I catered for myself and because of the taxis took no spectator packages, took our car with. Wife enjoyed it a lot more and she got some great pictures too.

Very happy with the result though overall in 4th place in AL with 4:40 after I did a 5:40 last year :)

Think I will skip the jock next year and go to the kremetart for a change

Was a great day overall with you guys. Agree the food wasn't as good as last year (Breakfast) and Lunch left a bit to be desired, yet it was fresh and filling, and kept us going the rest of the day till we stopped at the Stadium at 5:30PM again. Glad there weren't any major incidents, only two falls that I heard of, otherwise just speedsters in cars, and trucks playing chicken with us. Generally the traffic was manageable, and the drivers followed what we showed them to do.

I was the marshal on the Black/Silver Suzuki B-King with Yellow headlight protector, red bag on the back.

I lead the VA, and at some point some VB groups, and a few others coming back from Sabie to the Mbombela stadium.

Hope you will be there, need some wheel to suck in case I chew off more than I can bite ;)

BTW, my St. 3 result is missing. :thumbdown: Hopefully Racetec can correct!!