What slime to use

mikethebike234

I recently bought a set of nice new Maxxis monorail tyres and am going to be putting them on the rims soon. The rims are Mavic SLR ust. The monorails are Lust ust, This is my first time going tubeless. I have everything I need except the slime. I have put off buying it because I read somewhere (can't remember where) that Stans causes the monorails to de laminate. As Stans seems to be THE slime product if I can't use that what the heck do I use and is this even true? ie both does Stans cause Maxxis Monorails to de-laminate and is Stans really the best?

I like "Slime", easy to clean when you replace and lasts a long time, never had a snot ball from it myself. See www.slime.com

Available at Sportsmans and most bike shops.

I like "Slime", easy to clean when you replace and lasts a long time, never had a snot ball from it myself. See www.slime.com

Available at Sportsmans and most bike shops.

Agreed, I had good results with Slime Pro

There is a new product on the market called Tyre Shield. I believe that is great on bikes. I have it in my car tyres and it has saved me from a couple of punctures.

I only use FUGIT for the last two and half years in my:

dirtbike using tubes

Cyclocross using tubes

Cross country mtb tubeless

All Mountain mtb ghetto tubeless

9yo kid's 24" mtb with ghetto tubeless

7yo kid's 20" mtb using tubes

The stuff works and it doesnt go hard and hardly ever top up

• 1 month later...

update:

I changed the fugit that I installed a year ago before sani2c for this weeks race and it was still perfect. Also didnt have any issues in the last year!

post-12586-0-09067100-1399886773_thumb.jpg

I'm ditching Stan's once my current bottle is finished, it works well when it's fresh but it's expensive/only lasts a few months then disappears into the ether normally just before you get a massive puncture/makes funny balls and gums up everything when it drys out.

I'm assuming with fugit/slime you can even add a little bit of water to pep it up if it drys out a bit?

not sure what the base is but I managed to wash out the old fugit with water and soap before I installed new product. I didnt break the seal of the tyre on one side and after I topped up I re inflated with a normal pump and havent leaked at all with first attempt.

update:

I changed the fugit that I installed a year ago before sani2c for this weeks race and it was still perfect. Also didnt have any issues in the last year!

Where can I buy this fugit? I'm also done with Stans

Where can I buy this fugit? I'm also done with Stans

+1

Where do you get it from?

+1

Where do you get it from?

Think at a couple of bike shops. Have seen it at Finishline and motorcycle shops.

The contact details on the label is: mike@fugit.co.za

I only use FUGIT for the last two and half years in my:

dirtbike using tubes

Cyclocross using tubes

Cross country mtb tubeless

All Mountain mtb ghetto tubeless

9yo kid's 24" mtb with ghetto tubeless

7yo kid's 20" mtb using tubes

The stuff works and it doesnt go hard and hardly ever top up

Can you remember how much R?

Edited by koukie

I just use Ryder water based slime. Cost has gone up - now R55 per bottle 250ml, but works fine and lasts forever and doesn't delaminate tyres.

Have mixed it with Joes before - used to use Joes to seal the tyre and then top up with Ryder as it is full of solids - now, if the tyre goes on and seals nicely without sealant, just use Ryder straight.

Choose your poison...

Quick sealing(while seating and on the trail) - Stan's / Joe's

Last longer - Fugit / Slime pro / Oko