Groenkloof - Saturday morning 29 March 2014

Pieter-za

Afternoon all

According to what I hear my Gr 10 daughter was pushed off the track (two-spoor at that stage) by a gentleman putting his bike front wheel into hers, yesterday at Groenkloof during her ride. Timeframe roughly 7:20-8:40.

The description I got was the rider in question is approx. mid 20's, blue and white cycle top, and a bike with green Rock-shox? (Bike could be carbon?)

Any eyewitness (or even the rider is question) with possible more information please?

Thanks

Pieter.

Edited by Pieter-za

Sjo lots of one poster wonders popping up.

Maybe explain a bit better what exactly happened. A gentleman putting his front wheel into hers????? Huh. Maybe someone (your daughter or suspect) lost their ballance at that point.

Hello Meentb

Thanks for your reply.

OK - my credentials, I have been a reader of this site for quite some time (years), and even bought a cycle carrier rack from a member many moons ago.

Yes - That is what happened after he did it on purpose, she lost her balance and fell.

(Apparently he also did it to another child passing him.)

I have one version of the event - I am asking for more info re this from eyewitnesses. I think it is a fair request? (He was part of a group of approx. 15 riders it seems.)

Thanks

Kind regards

Edited by Pieter-za

Sadly I was only there in the PM. I doubt whether any explanation would make me happy if it was my daughter. Best advise - let it go! It will gnaw at you and nothing will change. Good on you for teaching your kids to cycle/ MTB.

Bad news about the hearsay. The problem is you were not riding with your daughter, so could do nothing to the accused party at the place of the offence. Next time let your daughter cycle with a bunch of hubbers and friends or even cycle with you if this type of thing bothers you. Maybe the guy was so enamoured by your daughter that he accidently switched her to get her attention (which could be worse in the long run...)

After the fact hunt and kill does not often get the desired results.

When in doubt about riding at Groenkloof ask a HUBBER, we (as in hubbers) organise group rides there...

Needle and Haystack... yip... but I have an idea on thinning the heard.

I understand that it was your daughter and that pisses you off, but what other course of action do you want to take?

Ek weet ek gaan nou iets se wat eerder moet bly maar voel ek moet dit se. Ek het begin ry by groenkloof vir die laaste 5 jaar en ek het agter gekom dat die mense wat net daar vir die pret ry, nie uit die pad gaan as 'n vinnige ryer vra nie. Verstaan my mooi ek se nie wat die ander ryer gedoen het was reg nie, ek voel self hy was verkeerd, maar mens moet ook verstaan groenkloof is 'n moelike baan en mense (ek) oefen daar om my tegniese vaardighede te verbeter. Indien mens mooi vra en niks gebeur nie moet mens iets doen. Ek se weereens wat die persoon gedoen het was verkeerd maar iemand moes saam met jou meisiekind gery het. Meeste mense verstaan nie dat die vinnige ryers verby wil kom nie.

Ek weet ek gaan nou iets se wat eerder moet bly maar voel ek moet dit se. Ek het begin ry by groenkloof vir die laaste 5 jaar en ek het agter gekom dat die mense wat net daar vir die pret ry, nie uit die pad gaan as 'n vinnige ryer vra nie. Verstaan my mooi ek se nie wat die ander ryer gedoen het was reg nie, ek voel self hy was verkeerd, maar mens moet ook verstaan groenkloof is 'n moelike baan en mense (ek) oefen daar om my tegniese vaardighede te verbeter. Indien mens mooi vra en niks gebeur nie moet mens iets doen. Ek se weereens wat die persoon gedoen het was verkeerd maar iemand moes saam met jou meisiekind gery het. Meeste mense verstaan nie dat die vinnige ryers verby wil kom nie.

En dis hoe roadies op MTB's die sport bederf. Regte MTB etiket sê dis egter die vinniger ryer se probleem om verby te gaan as die stadiger ryer nie van die track kan afgaan nie. Maw, as die stadiger ryer nie kan pad gee nie(of soms raak hulle nervous en verbouereerd) dan gaan jy van die track af en vat in die veld verby. Ek het nog nooit 'n regte pro gesien wat dink hulle besit die track nie en vat altyd stadiger ryers verby met 'n groot smile langs die track waar ek nie noodwendig sal ry nie. Dis hoekom jy goeie lyne so wel as slegte lyne moet oefen.

En dis hoe roadies op MTB's die sport bederf. Regte MTB etiket sê dis egter die vinniger ryer se probleem om verby te gaan as die stadiger ryer nie van die track kan afgaan nie. Maw, as die stadiger ryer nie kan pad gee nie(of soms raak hulle nervous en verbouereerd) dan gaan jy van die track af en vat in die veld verby. Ek het nog nooit 'n regte pro gesien wat dink hulle besit die track nie en vat altyd stadiger ryers verby met 'n groot smile langs die track waar ek nie noodwendig sal ry nie. Dis hoekom jy goeie lyne so wel as slegte lyne moet oefen.

So verskriklik baie Engels in daai paragraaf jy kan maar net sowel in Engels geantwoord het. Track, smile, pro. Laat my dink aan my swot dae. Praat Afrikaans of hou jou bek was die algemene se ding in die koshuise.

Lekker aand manne. En geniet groenies.

Good morning guys

Thanks for your support and encouragement.

I don't want to labour the thread, but allow me some context please:

- The road was a 'jeep track' - iow two parallel tracks;

- The group of high school riders was passing the group in question;

- One of the other group called out something like "hey xxxx - a high school girl is passing you!" THIS is when the action started;

- I like to believe we are courteous on the trail, and when we ride together as a family I always shout 'FIETS' (as I am at the back) so that we can pull off as soon as possible; (We normally ride together but my daughter joined the school group Saturday morning.);

- We just love the sport and have great family debates on e.g. 650b (wife and daughter), 29" (son) and I on my 26" ;

- Although not pro, we do enjoy doing MTB trials together :) ;

To get back - the reason I posted here was to be as objectively and fair as possible as there might just be three sides to a story, and I am basing my reply on what I know at this stage.

It is not acceptable in my book to bump a person off only because he/she is overtaking you. A rider can 'anticipate' a fall when he/she can see it coming, but not when it’s happening out of the blue. Apart from the possible risk of injury, is it fair to get your equipment damaged thought other person's malicious actions? My daughter perceived this person as quite aggressive and intimidating. It is unacceptable for an adult male to 'hit' (cycling wise) a high school pupil (or anyone for that matter), period. In my book I classify this bullying behaviour in the same league as woman beaters.

I SALUTE the riders in the other group who took this guy to task, and I thank you for that.

Kind regards

Pieter.

Edited by Pieter-za

Mens doen nie sulke goed op 'n Jeep track nie, dit is onaanvaarbaar!! Mens kan verstaan dat so iets perongeluk om'n draai kon gebeur, maar dit vat die gesprek in 'n heel ander rigting!

Jannemans72, ek verstaan as hulle se dis goeie etiket, maar as jy nou hard oefen om iewers te kom sal mens moet stappe vat, ek se nie jaag in die bos soos 'n mal bosvark verby nie. Wat sal jy dan doen is jy vir 'n paar kilos agter iemand sit en jy wil bitter graag verby kom, maar die persoon gee nie vir jou plek nie?? My opinie is laat die ou verby gaan want anders gaan hy jou uitlok om iets te doen.

Pieter-Za ek sal my ore op die grond hou om enige iets van die bogger te hoor, sulke mense moet sommer van fietsry verban word!

Good morning guys

Thanks for your support and encouragement.

I don't want to labour the thread, but allow me some context please:

- The road was a 'jeep track' - iow two parallel tracks;

- The group of high school riders was passing the group in question;

- One of the other group called out something like "hey xxxx - a high school girl is passing you!" THIS is when the action started;

- I like to believe we are courteous on the trail, and when we ride together as a family I always shout 'FIETS' (as I am at the back) so that we can pull off as soon as possible; (We normally ride together but my daughter joined the school group Saturday morning.);

- We just love the sport and have great family debates on e.g. 650b (wife and daughter), 29" (son) and I on my 26" ;

- Although not pro, we do enjoy doing MTB trials together :) ;

To get back - the reason I posted here was to be as objectively and fair as possible as there might just be three sides to a story, and I am basing my reply on what I know at this stage.

It is not acceptable in my book to bump a person off only because he/she is overtaking you. A rider can 'anticipate' a fall when he/she can see it coming, but not when it’s happening out of the blue. Apart from the possible risk of injury, is it fair to get your equipment damaged thought other person's malicious actions? My daughter perceived this person as quite aggressive and intimidating. It is unacceptable for an adult male to 'hit' (cycling wise) a high school pupil (or anyone for that matter), period. In my book I classify this bullying behaviour in the same league as woman beaters.

I SALUTE the riders in the other group who took this guy to task, and I thank you for that.

Kind regards

Pieter.

Good to here the guy was corrected. He probably now sees this as done and dusted and this is why he has gone silent.

Keep Groenies decent. Share the trail.

Ps @Janneman72 Mtb etiquette is that if you stop on the trail you MUST clear the trail ASAP so that cyclist behind you do not have to stop. To toe touch and then stop on a rocky incline and then turn to apologies to the guy sucking lungs behind you is BAD. Rather dismount and lift/push the bike off the trail line immediately, apologies later. Action speaks louder than words, and a grunt at speed is actually a BIG THANK YOU and not a Kevin Evan's greeting....

Sjo lots of one poster wonders popping up.

Maybe explain a bit better what exactly happened. A gentleman putting his front wheel into hers????? Huh. Maybe someone (your daughter or suspect) lost their ballance at that point.

Does the OP's number of posts change the fact that some D%^khead pushed his daugter off her bike?