Enduro helmets and XC hardtails

Lefty V

Opinions: Racing XC on a carbon hardtail while wearing a Bell Super helmet - cool or fashion faux pas?

Guest Omega Man

I have one. While the protection it offers is good and it's got some cool features it's not perfect.

It's quite a heavy helmet and it's pretty hot. If you're looking for the added protection of a trail lid to be used for xc I'd recommend the 661 or the fox. Or even the Giro. They are lighter and offer better venting.

I'd say the Bell is more of a Northern Hemisphere trail id where they have ski lifts and cooler weather.

Edited by Omega Man

I have one. While the protection it offers is good and it's got some cool features it's not perfect.

It's quite a heavy helmet and it's pretty hot. If you're looking for the added protection of a trail lid to be used for xc I'd recommend the 661 or the fox. Or even the Giro. They are lighter and offer better venting.

I'd say the Bell is more of a Northern Hemisphere trail id where they have ski lifts and cooler weather.

I have to object to the fox, I'm not going to debate about its weight or vents but DAYM! I found the fox lids to be very uncomfortable! this may just be because of my weird shaped head though... While the Super does get a bit warm I would rather deal with the warmth and have the comfort of the Super! It is the most comfortable lid I have tried on and really makes you feel indestructible :whistling:

Guest Omega Man

I have to object to the fox, I'm not going to debate about its weight or vents but DAYM! I found the fox lids to be very uncomfortable! this may just be because of my weird shaped head though... While the Super does get a bit warm I would rather deal with the warmth and have the comfort of the Super! It is the most comfortable lid I have tried on and really makes you feel indestructible :whistling:

Ja look that's just my opinion based on owning the Super. I'm not unhappy with the helmet but if I could go back in time I think I'd get the 661 and save the R1000.

Ja look that's just my opinion based on owning the Super. I'm not unhappy with the helmet but if I could go back in time I think I'd get the 661 and save the R1000.

I only paid R1100,00 for mine as a crash replacement :clap:

The Xar isn't half as bad as some seem to think. I have one, and it's incredibly comfortable. Yes, it doesn't have the coverage of the Super, but it's just as well vented and just slightly heavier than a proper XC lid.

I have the precursor to all these Enduro lids - the Bell Faction.

Yes it's hot. Yes, it's got less venting than your local fish n chip shop. But it works. And it has the proper protection value I'm looking for. Best of all - it's DIRT cheap.

http://legrandcycle.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/MBK213.tested.sixbell_cw-399-75.jpg

I'd rather be out of fashion than putting the old noggin in harms way when taking a tumble.... and oh do I love to fall... :whistling:

It is heavier, but rather be safer than sorry.

Personal opinion.