Transport 4 bikes

silkman

Our family have taken up cycling recently and initially just rode around the neghbourhood. Now we would like to take our bikes out on weekends and away on holiday.

What's the EASIEST way to transport 4 bikes?

Thanks in advance

Personally, I found towbar 4-bike carriers too crowded with bikes rubbing or unable to fit 4 bikes of different frame shapes and sizes (like a family of bikes).

I found roofracks works much better and the bikes are much more secure and stay clean when you do dirt roads. Put a little flag on your bonnet to remind you to stay away from low hanging tree branches and parking garages until it is 2nd nature.

I have a thule towball bike rack that takes 3 bikes (24", 26" & 29") and then I put the 20" bike in the bakkie (inside canopy). The current 3 bikes fit ok without rubbing, etc. but I do have to space them nicely (which takes time and practise). Problem is that to fit 3 big bikes (26/29") one has to drop seatposts etc - which is not nice. Unfortunately i'm short so fitting bikes on a rooftack on a big bakkie is also not easy. So as my kids grow up I'll have 'more' difficulty. Maybe venter trailer with roof carrier????

I have a thule towball bike rack that takes 3 bikes (24", 26" & 29") and then I put the 20" bike in the bakkie (inside canopy). The current 3 bikes fit ok without rubbing, etc. but I do have to space them nicely (which takes time and practise). Problem is that to fit 3 big bikes (26/29") one has to drop seatposts etc - which is not nice. Unfortunately i'm short so fitting bikes on a rooftack on a big bakkie is also not easy. So as my kids grow up I'll have 'more' difficulty. Maybe venter trailer with roof carrier????

Not a bad idea with bicycles on trailer lid on bike carrier works great.

Seems like there is no easy way. Has anyone tried a flatbed trailer with some bike stands welded together? Just a though tthat crossed my mind.

Seems like there is no easy way. Has anyone tried a flatbed trailer with some bike stands welded together? Just a though tthat crossed my mind.

I have an off road trailer and I have occasionally put roof racks on it with 4 bike racks mounted on it. It works really well for long holiday trips, but is a pain in the butt if you just want to quickly sneak in an hours riding. It also shakes the bikes around a lot more than on the car roof, so I don't like using it on extended rough road treks.

Most Venter type trailers can easily carry 4 bikes. Something like this.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/83310-6ft-trailer-with-4-bike-rack/

I used to put my bikes facing different directions on my Thule and also had to drop seats to prevent the saddle being eaten. I have recently started putting them on facing the same way, one further left and the other centres further right so they overlap nicely,and that has sorted out the seat post problem, I do however have a 2 bike rack so don't know if it will work on a 3 bike. Have also found the best way to prevent the bikes from rubbing is to shove a pool noodle between them concentrating on areas where there might be some friction

I have the buzz rack for 4 bicycles. Have had 4 bikes of various sizes on it plenty. Works pretty well.

I have a tule bike rack which takes 4!adult bikes comfortably. It w

Has the option of moving the bikes back & forth. Will check for the model number and post in a later post if you want details. I have seen other people using a modified venter trailer with rack on top but you need to take off front wheels

We bought a Thule trailer with 4 Thule bike racks fixed above on a frame, second-hand. Thule racks are great because they can be locked and bike wheels don't have to be removed. A normal trailer is better than a flatbed because you can pop in a lot more for holidays, even camping gear.

After spending lots of $$$ / time / energy etc. over a long time on cycle racks (hanging models), exploring various other approaches (while pulling my hair out), I am now happy with the Buzzrack 4 cycle carrier :) Lockable / can tilt, with lights etc.

Edited by Pieter-za

I hope someone will take some time to try and assist me with some questions.

I got myself a thule toof rack and two proride systems.

Would someone steal/break this off my roof?

Should I remove the system when not in use?

Can I damage the system or my car if I keep it on 24/7/365?

I don't really like the rubbers in the windows, but I will get used to it...

Is there anything else someone could recommend in terms of cleaning or washing the car etc?

Thanks for the assistance!