Heart Rate

JJDT

Are you talking about max or actual hr? What you describe is very normal, e.g. standing, leading will have higher hr than sitting, drafting.

What exactly do you think your resting and max hr are? Could there be a fault with your monitor?

I find at those factors affect my normal riding HR as well as my max. My avg resting just sitting around is about 70 and the lowest I have ever gotten it even sleeping is 59. On the other end of the scale my max I think is about 208. I'm still a youngster and ride at a high level but under race conditions especially road racing I have got figures of 216-230. As for the fault with the HRM don't think so as I have used/tested 4 now and no tangible difference.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find at those factors affect my normal riding HR as well as my max. My avg resting just sitting around is about 70 and the lowest I have ever gotten it even sleeping is 59. On the other end of the scale my max I think is about 208. I'm still a youngster and ride at a high level but under race conditions especially road racing I have got figures of 216-230. As for the fault with the HRM don't think so as I have used/tested 4 now and no tangible difference.

If you can sustain 216 - 230 for more than a few seconds, then I would want to put you on a 12 lead ECG and see if you don't have a conduction anomaly in your heart - those tend to confuse most HRM belt based measurements.

My money (vaguely educated guess) is that you do - which is not necessarily a risk factor or not - but well worth investigating - pm me some HRM files/links to look at please to satisfy my curiosity.

If you can sustain 216 - 230 for more than a few seconds, then I would want to put you on a 12 lead ECG and see if you don't have a conduction anomaly in your heart - those tend to confuse most HRM belt based measurements.

My money (vaguely educated guess) is that you do - which is not necessarily a risk factor or not - but well worth investigating - pm me some HRM files/links to look at please to satisfy my curiosity.

Well i did have a heart murmur when I was born and so did my father but haven't picked it up ever again. Will do.

You could probably use one of those "bone phone" type devices to play music when riding quite legally... wonder if you can still get them...

http://www.retrothing.com/2006/01/the_bone_fone_r.html

Many years ago I made a certain fat eating professor lie on his office floor for about 2 hours after a modified wingate test... I don't think he thought it was as funny as I did.... luckily he still talks to me... more than 25 years later... needless to say he did not finish the protocol needed to use him as a member of the control group..

Yooohh.......please share and explain......6 times Wingate test with rest between bouts maybe (!?!?)......was it related to a fatigue and lactate production investigation?

Side note: That is also why the Wingate is known as the "Windgat" test.....cuts you down to size.

Yooohh.......please share and explain......6 times Wingate test with rest between bouts maybe (!?!?)......was it related to a fatigue and lactate production investigation?

Side note: That is also why the Wingate is known as the "Windgat" test.....cuts you down to size.

Let me see if I can find a copy of the article or the original thesis to find the exact protocol we used.... from memory it was 3 x 15 odd sec and 1 longer session... like about 60 sec at max... on a rpm controlled power measuring machine. will revert when I find it.

Or it can be something as simple as your top being too loose and it hitting the monitor in the wind. Do you have a trainer? Do you get the same anomolies on it?

But of course, go check that your heart is fine. Don't take chances.

And by the way, everything else you explain is perfectly normal. Resting 59. Max 208 for a youngster (it naturally decreases with age*). HR going up when standing, leading, going harder.

* The new one hour record was recently set by a 102-year old man. I think he did just more than 26km. And his average heart rate was 152!

• 5 months later...

Well i did have a heart murmur when I was born and so did my father but haven't picked it up ever again. Will do.

I was wondering if a heart murmur will have an influence on HR during exercise. The fitter I get, the slower I have to stand-up from a sitting position, otherwise I’m KO. A novice like me uses a heart rate monitor as guidance over longer rides 3+ hours to avoid hitting the wall.

Was never sure if sustained heart rate over 85% for 2+hours was normal, bad, acceptable or just plain laziness or fitness/gene related

What would happen if your average heart rate is close to maximum during a race?

During this past weekend's USN MTB race on the 30km my average heart rate was 90% of my maximum. Normally my heart rate is about 80% - 85% average. I'm somewhat concerned of the spike. I was feeling OK during the race and afterwards also was feeling OK although a bit tired as always but nothing strange that I could recall that was odd during and after the race.

Should I be concerned?

In an hour criterium for example, I'll have an average HR in the 90-94% range.  So long as you recovering afterwards, I wouldn't worry.

Archived