[Event] Gravel Travel - NEW Venue & Route.

The Search

Yes, that was at Lourensford. It did the 26km in 1h58, so I am neither a racing snake, neither am I a backmarker. I should be able to handle the 35km. Was just wondering how they compare. I believe the Gravel Travel have some awesome singletrack.

Fantastic single track, I'll move to Wellington at the drop of a coin, but Im stuck in Durbanville, which is not a bad place to be stuck after all!

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, that was at Lourensford. It did the 26km in 1h58, so I am neither a racing snake, neither am I a backmarker. I should be able to handle the 35km. Was just wondering how they compare. I believe the Gravel Travel have some awesome singletrack.

Some of the best singletrack known to man. Seriously, you wil not be dissapointed. :thumbup:

R220 on your doorstep is good. Just think of what your getting. What can you buy that can compare to a day out in the mountains. I have a development team of 9 guys. The farm sponcer the vehicle and trailer. Entry fees and supplements come out of my pocket once a month to do a event.All maintenance on the Mtb 's is also mine to pay to keep the guys on the tracks. I really think you can't complain about entry fees. Louis

R220 on your doorstep is good. Just think of what your getting. What can you buy that can compare to a day out in the mountains. I have a development team of 9 guys. The farm sponcer the vehicle and trailer. Entry fees and supplements come out of my pocket once a month to do a event.All maintenance on the Mtb 's is also mine to pay to keep the guys on the tracks. I really think you can't complain about entry fees. Louis

Agreed 100 percent to just pitch up on the trail and ride is worth every cent. 5 hrs of trail riding in the mountains is actually a priceless experience vs an average dinner wiith the missus for 450 bucks. Edited by Stevief

Agreed 100 percent to just pitch up on the trail and ride is worth every cent. 5 hrs of trail riding in the mountains is actually a priceless experience vs an average dinner wiith the missus for 450 bucks.

That comes back to my original question, how much of the track for this race can you not normally ride?

A lot of the best singletrack in races you can ride any other time for only R30 and you get it to yourself.

I don't mind paying race fees if I get to ride beautiful places that I can't normally ride.

That comes back to my original question, how much of the track for this race can you not normally ride?

A lot of the best singletrack in races you can ride any other time for only R30 and you get it to yourself.

I don't mind paying race fees if I get to ride beautiful places that I can't normally ride.

Best would be to PM 'The Search' on this forum, he is in the know how of the route and might be the best at answering your question

All good and well, but I sign up to race. not to sponsor development riders. I allready sponsor Songo.info. I entered your race, but you are competing with a race in Grabouw with awsome trails at less than half the price.

Can the organizers of The Gravel Travel MTB race please tell us why their prices are so high. Here follows Gravel Travel MTB: 65km(R220), 35km(170), 15km(120)

Have a look at some other MTB races: (Let me add this is the price you pay if you are not a PPA member)

Willow Creek/Computer Mania MTB: Pre-Entries 60km(R110), 30km(R110), 10km(R90)

Late Entries: 60km(R140), 30km(R140), 10km(R90)

Hex Valley Autumn Splendour: Pre-Entries 55km(R100), 35km(R100), 15km(R50)

Late Entries 55km(R150), 35km(R150), 15km(R60)

Robertson Winery MTB: Pre-Entries 57km(R130), 42km(R110), 29km(R90), 15km(R40)

Late Entries 57km(R140), 42km(R120), 29km(R100), 15km(R50)

Wolseley MTB: Pre-Entries 75km(R125), 50km(R105), 35km(R85), 20km(R65)

Late Entries 75km(R145), 50km(R125), 35km(R105), 20km(R85)

Can the organizers of The Gravel Travel MTB race please tell us why their prices are so high. Here follows Gravel Travel MTB: 65km(R220), 35km(170), 15km(120)

Have a look at some other MTB races: (Let me add this is the price you pay if you are not a PPA member)

Willow Creek/Computer Mania MTB: Pre-Entries 60km(R110), 30km(R110), 10km(R90)

Late Entries: 60km(R140), 30km(R140), 10km(R90)

Hex Valley Autumn Splendour: Pre-Entries 55km(R100), 35km(R100), 15km(R50)

Late Entries 55km(R150), 35km(R150), 15km(R60)

Robertson Winery MTB: Pre-Entries 57km(R130), 42km(R110), 29km(R90), 15km(R40)

Late Entries 57km(R140), 42km(R120), 29km(R100), 15km(R50)

Wolseley MTB: Pre-Entries 75km(R125), 50km(R105), 35km(R85), 20km(R65)

Late Entries 75km(R145), 50km(R125), 35km(R105), 20km(R85)

We had the same discussion last year. Decided to do the race this year, as I have done Tru Cape before and staying in Paarl there is no travelling. But they should reconsider those prices. You can go ride Welvanpas trails for R30 a day.

Also if I remember correctly they gave no medals last year, instead giving that money to charity.

Edited by Johny Bravo

Can't enter online ,had this issue with ROAG last year as well regarding this .I ended up not doing the race because to enter it through ROAG became an issue .

Regarding pricing.I did Simonsberg last year with about 180 entries with no medal (some people want them others don't care).This year it was smaller with about 120 entries and the price was R280 odd .

My point: Its expensive ,it has decreasing entries ,its badly marketed and it will eventually not be viable for them to hold the event in the future . R220 for me is now the new limit providing its timed .

Entered the 65km. Is there a route profile somewhere? I like to know how badly I'm going to k@k in my pants.

Might be last year's routes but http://www.roag.co.z...travel-mtb.aspx

http://www.roag.co.za/media/230250/gravel%20travel%202014%2065km.jpg

http://www.roag.co.za/media/230245/gravel%20travel%202014%2035km.jpg

http://www.roag.co.za/media/230240/gravel%20travel%202014%2015km.jpg

Edited by Nick.

We dont have a big sponser this year. Events is expensive to host. Marshalls, traffic officials, insurance, timing, tents, toilets, medals, etc. It all ads up. Then there is the risk of bad weather and 200 people arrived and you hoped for 400 just to cover your cost.

You can pay R40 for a day permit to go do Welvanpas. Wvp has taken about 6 years to develop into some of the best singletrack around. A HUGE ammount of that funding came from Gravel Travel. Every year we build more singletrack and maintain the old routes. We dont have the same ammount of members as Jonkers or the Meerendal routes so we bargain on GT to supply the funds for NEW singletrack.

We love it if you enjoy the routes and the race. Hopes this gives you moe insight.

Hope to see you there. Hope we have perfect weather on race day.

Still cant justify paying so much for a race! I dont have a sponsor so I have to cover everything, problem is its not just the race fee, Wellington is far from town and petrol isnt cheap, cant ride without supplements and If you are done you might want to get a snack or some coffee, so adding it all up, you dont get away with less than R500 for the day! just cant do that every weekend

Still cant justify paying so much for a race! I dont have a sponsor so I have to cover everything, problem is its not just the race fee, Wellington is far from town and petrol isnt cheap, cant ride without supplements and If you are done you might want to get a snack or some coffee, so adding it all up, you dont get away with less than R500 for the day! just cant do that every weekend

If you want a good whinge, check out the Arabella race. R475 for the race entry ;)

Edited by Nick.

I think its best sometimes to look at the race as a event or a experience .Wellington is not that far and R220 given that the man said they have no sponser then puts things into context .

Tru cape did get my entry though but its because I have never raced that event .