[Event] Gravel Travel - NEW Venue & Route.

The Search

But mine is where the race is ;)

But you are right..

My prediction, the rain is now done and dusted, tonight will clear up nicely and whoever is not at the GT will regret it, as you read of how awesomely great the event and route was, so lube your chains NOW and see you tomorrow

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tru Cape is gonna kick Gravel Travel in the rear derailleur!!!

:ph34r:

...who needs rear derailleurs, we're all on single speeds :-)

Edited by BrandonF

I think it should be OK tomorrow. No rain tonight :ph34r: and normally the trails dry off fairly quickly at Welvanpas. 35 km definitely should be OK, maybe the 65 km could get a little muddy, IMHO.

I think it should be OK tomorrow. No rain tonight :ph34r: and normally the trails dry off fairly quickly at Welvanpas. 35 km definitely should be OK, maybe the 65 km could get a little muddy, IMHO.

...now I'm excited....again...SUFFERFEST WHOOHOO!

Tru Cape is gonna kick Gravel Travel in the rear derailleur!!!

:ph34r:

yeh except for the fact that i've ridden that area for the past 2 weekends. ENjoy your rear derailleur.

It rained till 11am today. Only rained 22mm, much less than originally predicted.The tracks normally drains very well. Its not raining at the moment so hopefully a perfect mtb day tomorrow.

It rained till 11am today. Only rained 22mm, much less than originally predicted.The tracks normally drains very well. Its not raining at the moment so hopefully a perfect mtb day tomorrow.

The n1 is wet!! It was drier in edgemead damnit I knew I should have stayed in bed and ridden a d'urbanville loop later. I just didn't want to piss tygerberg mtb off by winning free entry and then not using it. I'll be the one mainlining CBC amber weiss after the race wearing Uggs.

So?????????? how was it? i didnt even bother to get up this morn, was still raining early morning.

So?????????? how was it? i didnt even bother to get up this morn, was still raining early morning.

It was by far the muddiest race I have ever done. The singletrack was absolutely unrideable, was just mud and clay everywhere. I did about 18 km and then my rear derailer broke off from all the mud. Had to push my bike 5km to the nearest waterpoint.

Some negatives from my side, registration was a mess, queing for 15 minutes in the rain to collect a number board. And like I said, the race should have seeding, starting everyone at once was an absolute disaster. I should have stayed in bed. The worst thing was, after walking for about 3km, I encounter a marshall with a bakkie, he doesnt give me a lift or anything, he tells me to walk another 3km to the waterpoint, in the rain and mud, with a rear derailer hanging on the ground. Very bad.

Had a great ride in the mud. Bit disappointed by the long section on corrugated roads towards the end. Would have preferred a bit more of the Welvenpas ST. Still enjoyed the race though. Also had gear issues, got stuck in my big ring (42 tooth) on the front, so was forced to walk the steeper hills.

It was tough out there today, but awesome at the same time, to everyone who completed or not, without moaning (its a mountain bike race after all) salute to you, I'll take you to war anyday!