First timer

SpiralS

Hi everyone. Glad I found this site. Looks like the best place to ask this question.

I am looking at commuting to and from work every day. That will be from Table View to Paarden Island. Its about a 10km trip each way. There is a bike trail all the way from my house to work so every day on the bus I see people riding their bikes and thought hell I could do that. Put the money I use for transport towards a new bike and get fit at the same time.

Now the big question is what will I need in order to accomplish this without any hassle. I will probably need the gear and all that and then of course the right bike. I am looking at spending all in max R10 000 with gear included.

I have been reading up on the pros and cons of buying a 29er and 27.5 and the 26ers. Dont really know what will be the right one but lets meet the middle ground and get a 27.5er for now. With that said the 2 bikes I have narrowed it down to within my budget range is the Momsen 650B AL651 and the Silverback Slade 3. They are more or less in the same price range and will probably do the commute with no problems.

On a side note has anyone dealt with Cycle Teknix in Table View.

All input and advice will be greatly appreciated.

I ride a Momsen AL229 its a Hardtail 29'r obviously and i use it to commute to work, hit the trails and in June i'm taking on the Dusi2C with it as its my only bike. Absolutely love my Momsen.

Give Cycle Factory down there in the Cape a shout they will help you out.

PS Welcome to the Hub and enjoy your bike and happy trails.

Welcome to the bike side. I am 5 - 30 minutes quicker on the bike than in a car taking that route. You will love it.

As for the bike I'd say the Momsen, but it's just personal preference. Look in the latest Bicycle mag - they had a budget bike shoutout in there if I recall

Momsen all the way, they're great bikes and locally produced. I'm yet to meet an unhappy Momsen pilot.

Momsen all the way, they're great bikes and locally produced. I'm yet to meet an unhappy Momsen pilot.

+1

Although I cycle a Silverback, and don't commute, I likewise have only met very happy owners of a Momsen. Both brands offer excellent value for money.

Edited by Peregrinate

So good that I bought two!

I'm going to be a kill joy and tell you that you don't need to spend thousands on a new tricked out mountain bike to commute 20kms. I feel a bike should always be selected for the functional it will perform and the last time I checked there were no rocky mountain passes between Table View and Paarden Eiland.

You should at least consider a 90's or early 2000 26er mountain bike with big slicks. They are stable, comfortable, reliable (if serviced properly) and you'll end up worrying a lot less about damaging it or having it stolen. Plus, I believe that they are a lot better suited for tar than modern oversized, over geared and suspension soft mountain bikes. It won't take a lot to get one working as well as a new bike.

Maybe, if you feel comfortable on one, consider a old road bike. Maybe even with a single gear (aka the hipster bike) for super reliability and nearly no maintenance. Your route is largely flat and you don't really need gears and with the right ratio you can cover your commute in no time with little effort.

I ride both these types of bikes for commuting. I greatly prefer my Gary Fisher and hipster bike for commuting over my comparably bulky and slow mountain bike. Don't get me wrong, I love my mountain bike but on the mountain ;)

Once you've built up your commuting fitness and have an idea of the other type of riding you may want to do, then go splash the cash.

Edited by Nick.

Hi guys thanks for all the input and advice. I will go take a drive this weekend to go check out the Momsen and maybe look at a second hand bike as well.

Haha, Momsen it is then :D New bikes look so impressive and shiny, you'll struggle to consider second hand after that.

The Silverback bikes at Cycle Factory are also well priced.

Haha, Momsen it is then :D New bikes look so impressive and shiny, you'll struggle to consider second hand after that.

The Silverback bikes at Cycle Factory are also well priced.

Haha you'll be quite surprised as to what a good argument can do to a mans persuasion. But then again the argument in this thread tends to make me go have a pretty good look at the Momsen bikes. :)