New to road cycling

Flash055

Hi there, I'm new to cycling and am now in the making of purchasing my first bike. New or Used? And which manufacturer is more likely to suit my needs at this stage. I am looking forward to doing my first Argus next year and would like to give myself the best chance possible. Thank you.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there, I'm new to cycling and am now in the making of purchasing my first bike. New or Used? And which manufacturer is more likely to suit my needs at this stage. I am looking forward to doing my first Argus next year and would like to give myself the best chance possible. Thank you.

Budget?

An important chunk if info as users here can give you clearer suggestions.

You get 5K bikes and 50K and 150K and so on.

Guest EdEdEd

You could buy a seriously lekker bike from our classfieds here for not a lot of money

Budget?

An important chunk if info as users here can give you clearer suggestions.

You get 5K bikes and 50K and 150K and so on.

What he said.

I would probably spend less than 12k? This basically going to be my first bike.

Check out the Classifieds here then.

Some good value for money.

Most folk here upgrade and there is little or no defects to the used machines here.

Just be careful before making a decision.

Maybe go view the bike, definitely check their trader rating, etc.

Check out the Classifieds here then.

Some good value for money.

Most folk here upgrade and there is little or no defects to the used machines here.

Just be careful before making a decision.

Maybe go view the bike, definitely check their trader rating, etc.

So Frame size, how important is it. I know you have to get the frame according to your height, but what about in between. Do you go for the bigger size or the smaller?

Try go with something around 2 - 3 years old. Any older and if not looked after properly, bearings, cables, gears, etc could be tired. At the price you will get a good aluminium frame and groupset or even an entry level carbon frame. I got a steal on a 2012 Merida Scultura 904 (carbon with Shimano 105) last year for R10 000.

Frame size is critical. How tall are you and what is your inside leg measurement?

Edited by Dazshell

Welcome to the black stuff. Grab a tape measure, spirit level and go to www.competitivecyclist.com and check out their Fit Calculator for your frame size.

As far as bikes go something aluminium with minimum Shimano 105. Come back back now if you need more help.

I am about 1.69 and inside leg about 84cm

Sounds like a medium to me boss. Saddle height is about 70cm with that inseam.

So Frame size, how important is it. I know you have to get the frame according to your height, but what about in between. Do you go for the bigger size or the smaller?

Some reading here about frame size https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/featured/articles/bike-fitting-how-to-choose-the-right-frame-size-r1327

Also there some online calculators to give you an idea http://www.ebicycles.com/bicycle-tools/frame-sizer and http://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp

Best option is go to your local bike shop and get them to size you and tell you what size you require, look at what is available in the shop within your budget, then compare to what you can find elsewhere and on the classifieds here