Stans ZTR Crest 650B & Schwable Racing Ralph - Tubeless Conversion

OnTheRicky

Hi guys,

I am new to MTB'ing, but I really want to get a tubeless setup.

I already have the Stans ZTR Crest 650B wheels & Schwable Racing Ralph Performance tyres. I've been to 3 different bike shops and they don't want to do the conversion for me...

One place even overcharged me for liners (R200), which I opted for because I'd rather have some protection than none!

So golden question. Can I do the conversion or not? I've seen many threads stating the tyres are perfect and if the rims are not, well then stuff me why even bother printing NO TUBES on them.

If not tubeless... What other options are there? Will it help to add slime to my current tubes + liners?

Thanks in advance!

Tubeless is was way forward...just do the conversion yourself if your LBS won't do it for you

If the rims doesn't already have rim tape installed, just install the tape and tubeless valve. There's no need for rim strips on Stan's rims. If it's the performance line Scwhalbes they should be TLR (tubeless ready).

Add 60ml sealant to the tyre before pulling over the last bit of the bead. Use some soapy water on the beads to make seating easier.

Then use a bomb or compressor to inflate until the beads pop into place on the rim, a hand or foot pump won't work. If you used a bomb, deflate and re-inflate with "normal" air.

That's it.

Thanks Sephton!

So spec-wise everything is in order to do the tubeless conversion then?

I don't get the shops telling me it can't be done... :huh:

May I ask why the shops turned you down? I am not too fimiliar with Schwalbe tires (Conti fan) but I believe the 'Performance' series Schwalbe tires are not tubeless or even tubeless ready. I think you need Snakeskin series etc. Anyone care to comment on the Performance series Schwalbe tires?

I think the RR Performance are good for tubeless

http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/off-road_tires/racing_ralph_425

But these have thin side walls and can take a long time to seal

The perfect racer. Profile, compound, carcass. In the third generation of the Racing Ralph everything is designed for speed.

http://www.schwalbetires.com/images/error3.gif

NOTE: This is an out and out competition tire! Puncture protection and durability are limited!

http://www.schwalbetires.com/images/error3.gifNOTE: When converting light weight tubeless-ready MTB racing tires to tubeless, the process can

take up to 3 days of consistent sealing and sealant will seep from the sidewalls of the tires.

LIGHTWEIGHT MTB racing tires are inherently thin in the sidewalls and will require extra care.

Do NOT exceed 35 PSI on tubeless applications!!

I see it's actually the EVO line that are all tubeless ready, not the Performance line.

Do they have the TLR sign on the sidewall?

http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii404/kawasefi/Bikes/Vryheid-20140415-00410.jpg?t=1397584761

I see it's actually the EVO line that are all tubeless ready, not the Performance line.

Yes it seems so on close reading of those charts - anyways you really want decent sidewalls if you are going to go tubeless, like the Snakeskin or Double Defense, I've wasted far too much time sorting out sidewall cuts on skimpy sidewalled tyres.

You can do it, but they will take ages to seal properly, the sidewalls will probably weep sealant in places but they will eventually seal once all the small holes in the sidewalls are sealed. They won't be as strong as a normal tlr / tlr snakeskin conversion but if your funds are limited you can get them converted if you're ready to put in the time to get them done.

They don't have a TLR on them no...

That's probably why the bike shops aren't too keen. Like the others said, it's probably still possible to convert but it might take a while, up to 3 days apparently for the sidewalls to seal.

Going with the Snakeskin eventually is definitely worth it though, I had a pinch flat on that tire pictured and replaced it with a Snakeskin version. It feels a lot more substantial but is only about 50g heavier.