Hey Hubbers,

So over the past there has been a lot of talk about bike fitment on The Hub, and especially dynamic bike fitment. On this thread we aim to answer most of your bike fitment queries (while not giving all our secrets away ;) ) as well as clear up any questions people have regarding ErgoFiT and the services we offer.

To celebrate the launch of our new Bike Fitment Concept Store at the River Club in Cape Town we will be running a winter special from 1 May - end August giving everyone a 15% discount who pre books with us! That means R 595 for an ErgoFit and R 800 for an ErgoMax. Now how's that?

To book simply drop us an e-mail at fittings@sciencetosport.com . Also make sure to follow us on Twitter @ergofit and also be sure to like out Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Ergofitbikefitment . For more info on ErgoFiT please visit https://www.sciencetosport.com/ergofit/

We look forward to reading and answering your questions.

The ErgoFiT team.

And go!

post-56036-0-93291600-1397732541_thumb.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What an awesome idea and thread!! Well done...

So I'll give it a go:

had Ergofit done on a Merida 29er HT last year.

Results attached.

Now wanting to buy Giant Anthem 29er but not sure which size - L or XL?

Geometry for Anthem attached.

I will go for another fit-up with the Anthem but most importantly; want to make sure I buy the correct size to start off with.

So, which size will it be o-Ergofit one??

ERGOFIT_Werner Van Vuuren MTB.pdf

giantbicycles-71468-anthem.x.29er.1.pdf

That's a brilliant question!

ErgoFiT is our dynamic bike fit which includes a full assessment of the rider, including flexibility of the rider and riding history which is then used to generate a fitment report with predicted measurements. The measurements are then applied to the bike, followed by an assessment of the rider on the bike to see if any changes are necessary. Basic cleat positioning is also included.

ErgoMax covers all the steps above, and in addition addresses leg length discprepancy and rear foot and fore foot alignment to see if the riders foot may be better supported by wedging inside the shoe.

Great idea this thread, probably should request that it be moved to a more relevant section ... Training, health and nutrition maybe?

Anyway, my question is related to crank length and triathlon set up:

Been using 175mm cranks for a long time (20+ years) for mtb, road and tri.

In my quest to get a more comfortable and efficient position for iron man cycle (with the view of running after 180K cycle) I have already modified my position on my road bike (Specialized) Paris Roubaix by changing saddles to an Adamo TT, moved the saddle further forward on a zero set back seat post and added profile T2 clip on bars.

1. How much difference (more open) would shorter cranks (172.5mm) make wrt the upper body / thigh angle compared to 175's?

2. Should the saddle height be adjusted if shorter crank lengths are changed?

Thanks

What an awesome idea and thread!! Well done...

So I'll give it a go:

had Ergofit done on a Merida 29er HT last year.

Results attached.

Now wanting to buy Giant Anthem 29er but not sure which size - L or XL?

Geometry for Anthem attached.

I will go for another fit-up with the Anthem but most importantly; want to make sure I buy the correct size to start off with.

So, which size will it be o-Ergofit one??

Hey Werner,

Based on those measurements you will definitely be better off on an XL. The Large will feel a little to wild in the descents based on it's length.

All the best with the new purchase!

Great idea this thread, probably should request that it be moved to a more relevant section ... Training, health and nutrition maybe?

Anyway, my question is related to crank length and triathlon set up:

Been using 175mm cranks for a long time (20+ years) for mtb, road and tri.

In my quest to get a more comfortable and efficient position for iron man cycle (with the view of running after 180K cycle) I have already modified my position on my road bike (Specialized) Paris Roubaix by changing saddles to an Adamo TT, moved the saddle further forward on a zero set back seat post and added profile T2 clip on bars.

1. How much difference (more open) would shorter cranks (172.5mm) make wrt the upper body / thigh angle compared to 175's?

2. Should the saddle height be adjusted if shorter crank lengths are changed?

Thanks

Hey SwissVan,

So, easiest question first. If you are changing crank lengths then you should change the saddle height by the same amount. Shorter crank lengths means higher saddle and longer crank lengths mean a lower saddle.

With regards to the most efficient crank length....I am assuming you are quite a tall chap if you are riding 175mm cranks which may suite you more on the road bike, but not necessarily on the TT bike. When in the aero position on the TT bike a longer crank length may make it harder to get over the top of the pedal stroke and cause you to be inefficient. This obviously depends on how aggressive your position is in the first place though. Riding a shorter crank length may help you to turn the gear more efficiently, and help towards the end of a 180km cycle. It would probably put less strain on your lower back as well as your hip flexors which you will definitely need in your run!

Hope that helps.

Hey Werner,

Based on those measurements you will definitely be better off on an XL. The Large will feel a little to wild in the descents based on it's length.

All the best with the new purchase!

Thanks!

Do you make this assessment based on effective top tube length?

The Anthem XL TT is close to the calculated length and also close to that of my of my current bike, and hence my follow up question:

On the Merida I have a 115mm long stem and when I went for the set-up the guys said this is what I need.

Am I going to have to install such a long stem on the Anthem as well?

Hey SwissVan,

So, easiest question first. If you are changing crank lengths then you should change the saddle height by the same amount. Shorter crank lengths means higher saddle and longer crank lengths mean a lower saddle.

With regards to the most efficient crank length....I am assuming you are quite a tall chap if you are riding 175mm cranks which may suite you more on the road bike, but not necessarily on the TT bike. When in the aero position on the TT bike a longer crank length may make it harder to get over the top of the pedal stroke and cause you to be inefficient. This obviously depends on how aggressive your position is in the first place though. Riding a shorter crank length may help you to turn the gear more efficiently, and help towards the end of a 180km cycle. It would probably put less strain on your lower back as well as your hip flexors which you will definitely need in your run!

Hope that helps.

Thank you

1.86 m tall but with slightly longer than normal legs (imo) not sure whats normal re leg lengths :rolleyes:

I've done Ergo Max a few years ago

Maybe 2012.

Q:

Any best practice about repeat assessment / follow up?

#

I've done Ergo Max a few years ago

Maybe 2012.

Q:

Any best practice about repeat assessment / follow up?

Another great question....

We like to suggest to our clients that if your training volume has increased significantly and you have kept it at that level for a while and intend on keeping it that high for the foreseeable future, as well as improved your flexibility then another assessment may beneficial. Conversly, if you have had a long break off the bike and have lost all fitness a new fitment will definitely help you on your path back to top form!

Archived