Giro d' Italia 2014

'Dale

Young Arredondo must have had a 'mare. He came home 22 min down today, almost at the back of the field.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Young Arredondo must have had a 'mare. He came home 22 min down today, almost at the back of the field.

Either that or he is saving his energy for another attack for a stage win.

Either that or he is saving his energy for another attack for a stage win.

Ja, but to limp in over 20min down with the sprinters in the autobus, on a stage that's not rated too difficult, and the day before a rest day. Not a good sign I reckon.

Michael Matthews' luck eventually ran out today. Had a bad crash with large areas of road rash on his right side, and limped in 3rd last today.

Ja, but to limp in over 20min down with the sprinters in the autobus, on a stage that's not rated too difficult, and the day before a rest day. Not a good sign I reckon.

Michael Matthews' luck eventually ran out today. Had a bad crash with large areas of road rash on his right side, and limped in 3rd last today.

Let's see about, Arredondo.

Hope the climber makes it to Milan in his first Grand Tour.

I hope he and Rolland will try again.

I've heard Matthews had barely any kit left on as he had a tough fall .

“However, my legs weren’t great and it was impossible to follow Pozzovivo when he attacked, he’s going very strongly in the mountains. My injury is hurting a lot, particularly when there are attacks, but I hope to recover on the rest day. It’s come just in time.”

Quintana

Normally an indication that they are racing clean with his supreme effort he put im yesterday

Normally an indication that they are racing clean with his supreme effort he put im yesterday

Agreed. It's certainly a good sign. Go into full depletion / bonk and don't expect to go out and do it all again the next day.

I remember thinking the same thing on stage 6. After 120km of racing the peloton was averaging only 37km/h on relatively flat ground. I mean, really I could keep up with them at that pace and I'm a one-legged plonker compared to the worst rider there. It hadn't really started bucketing down by that point, so weather wasn't the issue. They were cruising along, measuring their efforts carefully.

Very different to the '90s and early 2000s when the entire peloton would beat the fastest expected time for the stage by 15 to 20 min every day.

REST DAY

Aaaaarrggghh!!!!!

:-(

Hmm, I am a big Giro fan, bit this years race is not doing it for me, not sure what it is, the route, the field, the weather dunno, but apart from Sat. I feel its been downright boring.

I heard on the TV the commentators said there has been some issues in the peleton of discontent over the roads especially, and perhaps that has resulted in a loss of will to race as is so common in the Giro, but we will see, I am hoping it picks up a bit, but the easier route, early rest day and sadly a slightly depleted field is possibly showing in rather slow viewing I am afraid.

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

Hmm, I am a big Giro fan, bit this years race is not doing it for me, not sure what it is, the route, the field, the weather dunno, but apart from Sat. I feel its been downright boring.

I heard on the TV the commentators said there has been some issues in the peleton of discontent over the roads especially, and perhaps that has resulted in a loss of will to race as is so common in the Giro, but we will see, I am hoping it picks up a bit, but the easier route, early rest day and sadly a slightly depleted field is possibly showing in rather slow viewing I am afraid.

There's a seeming listlessness in the bunch definitely.

Maybe demoralised after a row we 1st week.

Also with the GC standings and Cuddles in pink with a big margin, the remainder might be contesting for podium, also affecting the spirits.

There was definitely discontent amongst several riders about BMC's decision to continue racing.

I'm hoping the rest day will rejuvenate the gees.

Edited by ' Dale

Tomorrow's pancake

Relatively short and time for Viviani to get one over Bouhanni and reclaim REDhttp://images2.gazzettaobjects.it/Giroditalia/2014/images/tappa/tappa_dettagli_tecnici_altimetria_10.jpg

Admittedly, it was a weird 1st week.

Crash-marred and a somewhat controversial Maglia Rosa for BMC.

I'm sure Scarponi's position has also dented your interest, GOG?

The first 9 stages haven't really stirred much emotion with regard to "incredible cycling stages" have they?

Wiggins should have skipped Cali and done the Giro, with this slow pace he stood a good chance.

(After a good TTT and ITT of coarse)

Scenic Italia

Pic by RCS SPORTS

http://d4nuk0dd6nrma.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/CORVOS_00023209-0931.jpg