Barefoot

HI Cyclists,

I have a valid entry form for the 2015 ABSA Cape Epic that I am wishing to sell to a team.

As one of the Water Point Volunteers during the 2014 Epic, I am given a 2015 Epic form that I may use myself or transfer to someone else. I paid to be a volunteer and am wishing to recover my cost.

With the high demand for Epic entries, this is a guarenteed way of ensuring that one is entered and can train accordingly. (No Lotto or Early bird system to enter)

I have currently been offered R4,000 for this entry form.

Any better offers will be considered.

Please respond via this thread and I will contact anyone who is interested.

Thank you

"Barefoot:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HI Cyclists,

I have a valid entry form for the 2015 ABSA Cape Epic that I am wishing to sell to a team.

As one of the Water Point Volunteers during the 2014 Epic, I am given a 2015 Epic form that I may use myself or transfer to someone else. I paid to be a volunteer and am wishing to recover my cost.

With the high demand for Epic entries, this is a guarenteed way of ensuring that one is entered and can train accordingly. (No Lotto or Early bird system to enter)

I have currently been offered R4,000 for this entry form.

Any better offers will be considered.

Please respond via this thread and I will contact anyone who is interested.

Thank you

"Barefoot:

How does this work?. i was not aware of the entry form procedure?. On top of this you still have to fork out nearly R50k

Hi There,

The entry form was sent by the organisors and is guarenteed - (Part of the conditions of being a previous water volunteer.

If one evaluates the entry procedure, there are only 600 entries. A rough breakdown of these entries are 150 Early Bird entries and were sold out in March 2104, 200 entries are for "Elite and previous riders" , 100 are for Charites and other riders, 150 are Lotto entries that are drawn in September 2014 and 50 are given to previous volunteers. (As is my case) - In 2013, I understand that there were over 2000 applicants for the 150 Lotto entries. Hence is you want an entry and fall into the Lotto system your chances are less than 15% - By buying my entry this is guarenteed immediately.

Barefoot

how do i confirm that this is valid and genuine?

Seems legit. Easy enough to verify.

http://www.cape-epic...s/why-volunteer

Want a Guaranteed Entry?

Successfully completing the volunteer programme guarantees each volunteer an entry into the following year’s race. Volunteers do not have to use this entry for themselves, and may pass the entry onto whomever they choose, as long as the nomination is done before the closing date of the lottery. This is a reserved entry not a free entry, and must be used for the following year's race.

Edited by Brogue

How does this work?. i was not aware of the entry form procedure?. On top of this you still have to fork out nearly R50k

Not nearly, BUT R53 700.00.....

I would check with the Cape Epic organisers if this method of disposing of ones volunteer entry is in fact not a breach of their policies.

I am sure that placing it on "public auction" to get the highest possible value out of it might just cause problems down the line for the person that has purchased the entry

"15) Can I give my reserved team start place for next year to someone else?

Yes, you will receive one reserved team start place that you can give to anyone you choose. Normal registration fees and registration deadlines still apply."

from the Cape Epic website

Edited by Btus

You have to pay to volunteer to hand out water? :blink:

http://www.cape-epic...s/volunteer-faq

5) Why do you charge volunteers to join your Volunteer Programme?

We charge first time volunteers with whom we have never worked before as a measure of their commitment to the Absa Cape Epic and volunteer programme. Many of our volunteers are invited to return year after year because each year is an experience of a lifetime. In these instances their volunteer fee is subsidised and they pay a reduced fee which covers their stay in the race village (i.e. the same catering and tented accommodation which is the same as the riders receive).

7) What can I expect as a volunteer?

As a volunteer, you are part of an enthusiastic team delivering an international event which will be seen by hundreds of thousands of people from around the world — you’ll make new friends, gain new skills, hone existing skills and support both world class and amateur athletes. Don’t miss the experience of a lifetime!

8) What responsibilities would I have as a volunteer?

As a volunteer your responsibility would be to assist the organisers/team leaders with the smooth running and execution of various volunteer roles. Often volunteers wake early in the morning, work during the day and would then have the evenings free to relax and enjoy the race village lifestyle (exact times are role dependent). Whilst the hours may be long, the satisfaction and reward of seeing the riders make it to the finish line each day is tremendous.

9) What volunteer role might I be assigned?

Volunteer roles vary and are generally allocated based on where a need exists. Typically, roles are filled in the areas listed below; however, should you feel you have specific skills or experience in other areas please feel free to contact our volunteer coordinator.

Water points

Race nutrition service

Woolworths Recovery Zone

Race timing assistance (in the field)

Pro Tech Support Zone

Edited by Brogue

http://www.cape-epic.com/involve/volunteers/volunteer-faq?l=involve&ref=involve/volunteers/volunteer-faq

Many of our volunteers are invited to return year after year because each year is an experience of a lifetime. In these instances their volunteer fee is subsidised and they pay a reduced fee which covers their stay in the race village (i.e. the same catering and tented accommodation which is the same as the riders receive).

They won't even give you free accommodation and food to work for them, while they make some decent money. Am I maybe missing the point here?

Edited by Nick.

They won't even give you free accommodation and food to work for them, while they make some decent money. Am I maybe missing the point here?

I'm just copying and pasting the answers to your questions from the info on the Epic website Bud. I won't be volunteering either :)

Yeah don't worry, I also don't understand it. It's as if they are doing you a favour. And it's not like they're a non-profit.

Imagine if the platinum mines said, come hand out water in the mines, and you only have to pay so much to do it.

But I guess that is part of the prestige of the Epic that was built up.

And auctioning off your guaranteed entry form... true capitalism at work... and I guess kudos for the initiative.

The price of volunteering is a bit steep for my purse. But to be in the thick of things must be pretty awesome.

You have to pay to volunteer to hand out water? :blink:

OK thats been answered..let me rephrase.. how much did you have to pay volunteer? I read that bit of schmaltz they brogue posted... No offence but what a crock of...

Edited by Stretch

The financial model of the Absa Cape Epic event is not the question here.

Seems okay to sell off the entry to make up for costs incurred.

Die een hand was die ander hand?

OK thats been answered..let me rephrase.. how much did you have to pay volunteer? I read that bit of schmaltz they brogue posted... No offence but what a crock of...

No offence taken :D .... I just copied and pasted the Epic schmaltz directly from their website. Agreed, it's bollocks.