Getting Started - Is the Scott Spark 940 a good choice

nacnac

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks again for all the replies - seems the the MTB community are a passionate and helpful lot. I guess all bikes have their pros and cons - gotta start somewhere.

Hope to have some positive feedback in a few weeks time.

Hi there - I am about to buy my first bike. Been doing some research and visiting bike shops and decided on a 2014 Scott Spark 940. I must say it's pretty confusing with so many options available out there. I initially thought I could get something around 20k but soon realized its worth spending about 30k on something with good components and suspension. I plan to first get bike fit and then start doing some races - nothing too serious. If I really enjoy it and decide to do some proper races I want to be sure that my bike is good for this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Don't forget all the extra's +5k

Hi

Agree Scott spark 940 is a great first time bike.

It will be the gift to yourself that will keep on giving, you will never find yourself in any situation that the bikes not capable of handling.

Great choice and welcome.

Thanks again for all the replies - seems the the MTB community are a passionate and helpful lot. I guess all bikes have their pros and cons - gotta start somewhere.

Hope to have some positive feedback in a few weeks time.

Yep and strangely enough not that removed from the biking scene with the issues we face. Although the community is much MUCH bigger and that critical volume means more races and better riding options.

In the cycling world btosports is chain reaction cycles or CRC for short. The main local online site is Chris Willemse Cycles (CWC) who are also a strong option. Pick an LBS (local bike shop) with a mech you can trust on the stuff you can't do yourself, because you don't yet know or have the tools and support them on your big purchases and stuff you want that they stock and give you deals on. Use apps like strava to find out where all the good spots for riding are by following chaps you know who live in the area and ride regularly! I'll tune Clint when I chat to him later this week. I'll add that you said he has a fat @ss and needs to spend more time on his peddle bike...

Cheese

Jay

Or maybe you could take a look at a GT Zaskar Carbon Elite, great bikes and the triple triangle design is the best! But can't go wrong with a Scott either!

I'm going to get shot for this!

For a first bike I would buy 2nd hand no more than R5k. Get used to riding - see if you like riding - and what kind of riding you prefer. Set yourself some goals.

Then go get yourself the kind of bike you want and park your 2nd hand bike next to the bin (or sell it at about the same price)

I know of more seriously good bikes "in storage" than on the road/trail.

I'm in agreement with this, but maybe with an upper limit closer to R10k. But it depends on the kind of person you are. Do you buy your car's brand new or do you go second hand because you hate the way a new one drops value significantly the minute it leaves the showroom?

My personal view is that you can get some real value for money deals on the classifieds here. Guys are pretty quick to comment on items that are obviously overpriced. You lose the hand holding that the local bike shop might provide I guess. The average R10k bike on the forum here is probably fine for a year's worth of riding and weekend races. Probably not epic or stage race material but for some one just getting going it's probably better in my view than having another expensive late model bike end up on the classified section losing you a whack of value.

So I been riding my starter bike, a hard tail. I knew I would upgrade it if I enjoyed riding it.

Set myself a few goals, like 1500km and a ride of 50 in one go, didn't do the 50, find it boring.

Anyway, so now I been looking around and have decided on FS bike.

Although XC and stage racing is what everyone thinks you want to do, I want to ride AM and trail. Very little AM around my part of the woods, so better would be a trail orientated bike, with some AM properties.

Scott 740 is getting tested tomorrow.

I have been watching the classifieds, but haven't seen what I really want, and my LBS is cutting me a great deal. Including a "service plan", fitting and getting me a few days extras/changes.

But first the test ride.

Edited by MaXiMuM

My LBS gave me a Scott Spark 900 Premium to ride for a week or two. :clap:

(and then I have to go back to my 7k Mongoose)

And how was the spark premium?

Will feed back over the weekend.

It's a nice bike (it need 26'' wheels), but I need to ride it a bit more to know the real feeling of a more expensive carbon bike. I only did 15km on the road with it.

I am not getting my hopes up, I really don't think this 'fancy' bike will be much better than my cheap, heavy, with 26'' wheels and aluminium Mongoose.

I'm in agreement with this, but maybe with an upper limit closer to R10k. But it depends on the kind of person you are. Do you buy your car's brand new or do you go second hand because you hate the way a new one drops value significantly the minute it leaves the showroom?

My personal view is that you can get some real value for money deals on the classifieds here. Guys are pretty quick to comment on items that are obviously overpriced. You lose the hand holding that the local bike shop might provide I guess. The average R10k bike on the forum here is probably fine for a year's worth of riding and weekend races. Probably not epic or stage race material but for some one just getting going it's probably better in my view than having another expensive late model bike end up on the classified section losing you a whack of value.

Good for a year - how about many years. My wifes second hand R10k Zula with DT 1600 wheels, XO and R1 brakes, is going to be good for ages. Many bargains to be had if you forget the wheel size nonsense and look for a good frame and components.

Looks like I will be getting my bike next week.....can't wait. I guess getting used to cleats will be a bit of a challenge. Any ideas on what basics I need to get with the bike...ie: spares, tools, pump, tubes etc?